From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Psalm 122 (Laetatus sum or commonly I Was Glad) is one of 15 psalms from the Book of Psalms that begin with the words "A song of ascents" (Shir Hama'alot).
Uses in Judaism
Settings in music
- Monteverdi set the Latin (Vulgate) text, Laetatus sum, at least three times, in his Vespers of 1610 and twice as a stand-alone motet in 1643.
- Charpentier set the same text in 1671, again as a motet, catalogued as H161.
- Jommelli did the same, in 1743.
- The Book of Common Prayer version, I was glad, is used in Parry's 1902 coronation anthem of that name.
- The same English text was used for coronation music by Purcell and others.
- Herbert Howells set verses 6 and 7 in his anthem "O, pray for the peace of Jerusalem."
- ^ The Complete Artscroll Siddur page 530
- ^ The Artscroll Tehillim page 329
- ^ The Complete Artscroll Siddur page 479