Bosch had long been suspected to be the author Raphael Simon. However, this had been disputed by the author. On May 8, 2016, however, it was explicitly stated in The New York Times that Bosch is, in fact, named Simon.
The pseudonym plays off that of the artist Hieronymus Bosch.
Though Bosch, in real-life, is openly gay, he has stated that his pseudonymous form is not necessarily gay.
The Secret Series is a pentalogy of novels based on the five senses: Sight, Smell, Sound, Taste, and Touch. The narratives of the books are frequently interrupted with short side stories and "secret" information. The main characters of the series are Cassandra (nicknamed Cass), Max-Ernest and Yo-Yoji, though those are not their real names. The Series is all about one secret.
Bosch has written a sequel series titled, The Bad Books, centered around Max-Ernest's younger brother, Paul-Clay (he later drops the Paul and desires to be just called Clay) whose hobby is writing graffiti.
The Secret Series
- The Name of this Book is Secret (2007) is based on smell.
- If You're Reading This, It's Too Late (2008) is based on sound.
- This Book Is Not Good for You (2009) is based on taste.
- This Isn't What It Looks Like (2010) is based on sight.
- You Have to Stop This (2011) is based on touch.
The Bad Books
- Bad Magic (2014) centers around a character who was first introduced as Max-Ernest's little brother, Paul Clay, in the Secret Series.
- Bad Luck (2016)
- Bad News (March 2017)
- Write This Book (2013) is a do-it-yourself mystery.
Bosch published Write This Book!, a do it yourself book; he calls it "a book that readers will write for me". Bosch elaborated in an interview with Wired stating that "it is a kind of half-written, guided mystery. Parts of it are going to be multiple choice, choose-your-own adventure, parts of it will be more like Mad Libs, some silly stuff". Furthermore, Galleycat for Mediabistro.com stated that Bosch has since "inked a deal for a new middle grade trilogy".
- "WebVoyage Titles". Cocatalog.loc.gov. Retrieved March 22, 2012.
- Yin, Maryann (April 17, 2012). "Pseudonymous Bosch Lands Deal with Dial Books for Young Readers". Galleycat. Mediabistro.com. Retrieved May 24, 2012.
- Moore, Fernanda (July 29, 2011). "Don't Read This". Chapter 16. Retrieved May 24, 2012.
- Breary, Jazzmine (April 28, 2011). "How well do you know your pseudonymous authors? | Children's books". The Guardian. Retrieved May 24, 2012.
Submit the (blank) quiz and select the "Show Answers" link for this information.
- "IMPostor Appearances". The Name of This Website is Secret. Retrieved May 24, 2012.
- Bosch, Pseudonymous (May 8, 2016). "Also Known As". The New York Times. Retrieved May 23, 2016.
- Liu, Jonathan H. (October 9, 2011). "Wordstock Interview: Pseudonymous Bosch". Wired. Retrieved May 24, 2012.