Psi Velorum (ψ Vel, ψ Velorum) is a binary star system in the southern constellation of Vela. Based upon an annual parallax shift of 53.15 mas as seen from Earth, it is located 61.4 light years from the Sun. It is visible to the naked eye with a combined apparent visual magnitude of +3.58. The motion of this system through space makes it a candidate member of the Castor stellar kinematic group.
The two components of this system orbit their common barycenter with a period of 33.95 years and an eccentricity of 0.433. The semimajor axis of their orbit has an angular size of 0.862 arc seconds. The primary, component A, is a yellow-white hued F-type subgiant with an apparent magnitude of +3.91 and a stellar classification of F0 IV. The fainter secondary, component B, is also an F-type subgiant of magnitude +5.12 and class F3 IV. It has been reported to be variable between magnitude 4.5 and 5.1.
- van Leeuwen, F. (2007), "Validation of the new Hipparcos reduction", Astronomy and Astrophysics, 474 (2): 653–664, Bibcode:2007A&A...474..653V, arXiv: , doi:10.1051/0004-6361:20078357.
- Mermilliod, J.-C. (1986), "Compilation of Eggen's UBV data, transformed to UBV (unpublished)", Catalogue of Eggen's UBV data, SIMBAD, Bibcode:1986EgUBV........0M.
- Malkov, O. Yu.; et al. (2012), "Dynamical Masses of a Selected Sample of Orbital Binaries", Astronomy & Astrophysics, 546: 5, Bibcode:2012A&A...546A..69M, doi:10.1051/0004-6361/201219774, A69.
- Heiter, U.; et al. (2015), "Gaia FGK benchmark stars: Effective temperatures and surface gravities", Astronomy & Astrophysics, 582: A49, Bibcode:2015A&A...582A..49H, arXiv: , doi:10.1051/0004-6361/201526319.
- de Bruijne, J. H. J.; Eilers, A.-C. (October 2012), "Radial velocities for the HIPPARCOS-Gaia Hundred-Thousand-Proper-Motion project", Astronomy & Astrophysics, 546: 14, Bibcode:2012A&A...546A..61D, arXiv: , doi:10.1051/0004-6361/201219219, A61.
- Just, A.; Jahrei, H. (October 2008), "The main sequence from F to K stars of the solar neighbourhood in SDSS colours", Astronomische Nachrichten, 329 (8): 790, Bibcode:2008AN....329..790J, doi:10.1002/asna.200811030.
- Hartkopf, W. I.; et al. (2006), Sixth Catalog of Orbits of Visual Binary Stars, retrieved 2017-04-03
- David, Trevor J.; Hillenbrand, Lynne A. (2015), "The Ages of Early-Type Stars: Strömgren Photometric Methods Calibrated, Validated, Tested, and Applied to Hosts and Prospective Hosts of Directly Imaged Exoplanets", The Astrophysical Journal, 804 (2): 146, Bibcode:2015ApJ...804..146D, arXiv: , doi:10.1088/0004-637X/804/2/146.
- Schröder, C.; et al. (January 2009), "Ca II HK emission in rapidly rotating stars. Evidence for an onset of the solar-type dynamo", Astronomy and Astrophysics, 493 (3): 1099–1107, Bibcode:2009A&A...493.1099S, doi:10.1051/0004-6361:200810377.
- "* psi Vel". SIMBAD. Centre de données astronomiques de Strasbourg. Retrieved 2017-03-31.
- Nakajima, Tadashi; et al. (September 2010), "Potential Members of Stellar Kinematical Groups within 20 pc of the Sun", The Astronomical Journal, 140 (3): 713–722, Bibcode:2010AJ....140..713N, doi:10.1088/0004-6256/140/3/713.
- Samus, N. N.; Durlevich, O. V.; et al. (2009), "VizieR Online Data Catalog: General Catalogue of Variable Stars (Samus+ 2007-2013)", VizieR On-line Data Catalog: B/gcvs, 1, Bibcode:2009yCat....102025S.