Psycho (2020 film)
|Produced by||Arun Mozhi Manickam|
|Edited by||N. Arunkumar|
Double Meaning Production
|Box office||27 crore|
Psycho is a 2020 Indian Tamil-language psychological thriller film written and directed by Mysskin. The film was produced by Arun Mozhi Manickam under Double Meaning Production. The film stars Udhayanidhi Stalin, Nithya Menen, Aditi Rao Hydari, and debutant Rajkumar Pitchumani, while Renuka, Singampuli, Ram, Aadukalam Naren, and Shaji Chen play supporting roles. Ilaiyaraaja composed the soundtrack of the film, with cinematography by Tanvir Mir and editing by N. Arunkumar. Production began in September 2018, and the film released worldwide on 24 January 2020.
Psychopath Angulimala (Rajkumar Pitchumani) beheads only women and their heads are his trophies. Dahini (Aditi Rao Hydari), a leading radio jockey, gets abducted by the serial killer and when he is about to behead her, there’s a sense of calm on her face which challenges him. She also issues him a challenge saying that visually-challenged Gautham (Udhayanidhi Stalin) will come for him. Meanwhile, Kamala (Nithya Menen) a quadriplegic and an ex-sub-inspector would help Gautham in cracking the case. Will Gautham nab the psychopath and rescue Dahini despite his shortcomings forms the crux of the story.
- Udhayanidhi Stalin as Gautham
- Aditi Rao Hydari as Dagini
- Nithya Menen as Kamala
- Rajkumar Pitchumani as Angulimala, The Psycho
- Singampuli as Rajanayakam
- Renuka as Vasantha, Kamala's Mother
- Pritham as Teacher Rachel
- Ram as Muthu
- Aadukalam Naren as Deputy Superintendent of Police
- Shaji Chen as Dagini's father
- Bava Chelladurai as Akbar
Mysskin decided to cast Udhayanidhi Stalin in the lead role. Under the banner of Arun Mozhi Manickam's Double Meaning Productions, Mysskin finalized a cast of Aditi Rao Hydari, Nithya Menon, Rajkumar Pitchumani, and Ram, while Ilaiyaraaja, who worked on the director's previous films Nandalala and Onaayum Aattukkuttiyum, was signed as music composer. The shoot of the film began in early September 2018, with a first look promotional poster released later that month, revealing the title of the project to be Psycho. A second schedule of the film was completed in early December 2018 after being shot in hill-towns across Tamil Nadu.
In a turn of events, P. C. Sreeram was replaced by his assistant, Tanvir Mir as the film's cinematographer, while Sreeram further mentioning that Tanvir will be credited as the film's cinematographer.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Label||Sony Music India|
|Singles from Psycho|
The soundtrack of the film was composed by Ilaiyaraaja, collaborating with actor Udhayanidhi for the first time and director Mysskin for the third time. The audio rights were secured by Sony Music India.
The film's first single, titled Unna Nenachu which is sung by Sid Sriram (on his first collaboration with Ilaiyaraaja) and lyrics by Kabilan, was released by director Vetrimaaran on 18 November 2019.
The songs received extremely positive response from both the audience and critics upon its release. Film critics credited Ilaiyaraaja's music for its major contribution towards the film's success.
|1.||"Unna Nenachu"||Kabilan||Sid Sriram||4:36|
|2.||"Neenga Mudiyuma"||Kabilan||Sid Sriram||4:37|
|3.||"Thai Madiyil"||Mysskin||Kailash Kher||5:05|
Earlier, the producer announced that the film will be releasing worldwide on 27 December 2019, but they decided to release the film on 24 January 2020 instead in order to increase screen counts and for wider pan-Indian reach of the film.
- Lakshmi, V (3 September 2018). "Udhayanidhi turns 'psycho' for Mysskin - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 7 September 2018.
- "Psycho is Mysskin's next, stars Udhayanidhi Stalin, Aditi Rao Hydari, Nithya Menen ,Rajkumar". The Indian Express. 4 September 2018. Retrieved 7 September 2018.
- "Udhayanidhi Stalin to play an intense role in his next with Mysskin". The News Minute. 3 September 2018. Retrieved 7 September 2018.
- "Udhayanidhi Stalin replaces Shanthanu in Mysskin's next flick". India Today. Ist. Archived from the original on 21 December 2018. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- July 5, Silverscreen On; 2018 (5 July 2018). "'I Did Not Refuse The Project On Purpose,': Actor Shanthnu On Not Being A Part of Mysskin's Film". silverscreen.in. Retrieved 13 January 2019.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- "Udhayanidhi turns 'psycho' for Mysskin - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "Nithya Menen explains what drew her to Mysskin's Psycho". in.com. Archived from the original on 21 December 2018. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "Psycho: Myskkin and Udhayanidhi Stalin film gets a name". India Today. Ist. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "PC Sreeram begins shooting for Mysskin's 'Psycho' - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "Second schedule of Udhayanidhi's 'Psycho' completed - Times of India". The Times of India. Archived from the original on 7 January 2019. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "P.C. Sreeram congratulates cinematographer of Udhayanidhi Stalin's Psycho Tanveer Mir ft. Mysskin". Retrieved 21 October 2019.
- ""Sony Music" clasps audio rights of Udhayanidhi Stalin's Psycho". Retrieved 25 October 2019.
- "Psycho Single Unna Nenachu From Monday!". Retrieved 17 November 2019.
- "Sid Sriram's Unna Nenachu song from Udhayanidhi Stalin's Psycho out now". Retrieved 18 November 2019.
- "Udhayanidhi Myskkin and Ilayaraja's chilling Psycho teaser". Retrieved 25 October 2019.
- "Mysskin's 'Psycho' teaser". Retrieved 25 October 2019.
- "OUdhayanidhi Stalin and Mysskin's thriller Psycho postpones release date". Retrieved 20 December 2019.