Cover illustration by Jack Kamen
|Publication date||March – September 1955|
|No. of issues||four|
|Written by||Robert Bernstein|
Psychoanalysis was a comic book published by EC Comics in 1955 the fifth title in its New Direction line. The bi-monthly comic was published by William Gaines and edited by Al Feldstein. Psychoanalysis was approved by the Comics Code Authority, but newsstands were reluctant to display it. It lasted a total of four issues before being canceled along with EC's other New Direction comics.
Characters and stories
Psychoanalysis was unlike practically any other comic published, focusing on psychoanalysis and the day-to-day work of therapists. The comic featured three patients; Freddy Carter, Ellen Lyman and Mark Stone, who were undergoing psychoanalysis. The analyst was the central character. He was never named, simply listed as The Psychiatrist. Ellen Lyman did not appear in the fourth and final issue, having been cured in the third issue.
Between October 1999 and January 2000, publisher Russ Cochran (in association with Gemstone Publishing) reprinted the four individual issues of the book. This complete run was later rebound, with covers included, in a single softcover EC Annual.
At the invitation of Steve Allen, Psychoanalysis was adapted into two dramatic episodes which were telecast as part of the NBC Tonight show. One script was by Feldstein, and the other was by Howard Rodman.
- Elkelä, Kari (1/11/1998). "Jack Kamen's EC Cover Art". Retrieved 20 November 2010. Check date values in:
- Scott (August 12, 2008). "Psychoanalysis #4 (EC, 1955)". Polite Dissent. Retrieved 20 November 2010.
As the name suggests, in Psychoanalysis the reader follows an unnamed pipe-smoking psychiatrist as he attempts to analyze and cure his patients.
- "Psychoanalysis #4". Grand Comics Database. Retrieved 20 November 2010.
- Scott (August 20, 2007). "Psychoanalysis #3 (EC, 1955)". Polite Dissent. Retrieved 20 November 2010.
- "Psychoanalysis #1". Grand Comics Database. Retrieved 20 November 2010.
Reprinted: in Psychoanalysis (Gemstone, 1999 series) #1 (October 1999)
- Variety, 1955.
- Scott (August 4, 2005). "Psychoanalysis #1 (EC, 1955)". Polite Dissent. Retrieved 20 November 2010.
- Psychoanalysis at the Grand Comics Database
- Psychoanalysis at the Comic Book DB
|This comics-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|