|Single by Slipknot|
|from the album All Hope Is Gone|
|B-side||"All Hope Is Gone"|
|Released||July 7, 2008|
|Recorded||February 2008Sound Farm, in Jamaica, Iowa)– June 2008 (at|
|Slipknot singles chronology|
"Psychosocial" is a song by American metal band Slipknot. It was released as the second single and fourth track from their fourth studio album, All Hope Is Gone. The song entered airplay on June 26, 2008 and was originally planned for release as a digital single on July 1 but was delayed and released on July 8. Slipknot performed "Psychosocial" live for the first time on July 9, 2008, at the White River Amphitheatre in Auburn, Washington. In 2008 the track was featured on the soundtrack to Marvel's Punisher: War Zone. The song was also nominated for 'Best Metal Performance' for the 51st Grammy Awards, but lost to Metallica's "My Apocalypse", and was nominated for the Kerrang! Award for Best Single.
"Psychosocial", along with two other Slipknot songs, "Duality" and "Sulfur," was released as downloadable content for Rock Band and Rock Band 2 on December 8, 2009. It is also featured as a playable track in Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock.
Percussionist Shawn Crahan told The Pulse of Radio what he could regarding "Psychosocial", saying, "One thing I can feel is like that song has got a lot of, I would say social anxiety. It's got a real good tempo. It's really fun and it's different. I think most of the stuff that we have is different".
Rolling Stone praised the song, saying that it "slows down the tempo to bludgeon with a steady, pounding groove instead of all-out thrash in a manner reminiscent of the band's more slow-burning but still malicious second album, Iowa". They went on to explain, "That track is capped off with a time-signature shattering guitar/drum breakdown that will leave the best air-instrumentalists stumped".
The music video for "Psychosocial" was shot at Sound Farm studios in Jamaica, Iowa on June 30, 2008. The shoot was delayed due to an unrelated head injury sustained by turntablist Sid Wilson before the shoot, who was subsequently hospitalized. On July 18, 2008 the video premiered on MTV's FNMTV show, hosted by Pete Wentz. The video, which was directed by Paul Brown, was shot using high-end cameras which shoot 1,000 frames per second and are contrasted with traditional 35 mm hand crank camera equipment. Percussionist Shawn Crahan explains; "we have the most extreme on both ends, with nothing in the middle. That's what the video is, and nobody does that. There's an art form behind it."
During an interview with Kerrang!, guitarist Jim Root revealed that the video features the burning of the purgatory masks adorned by the band members in the splash teaser photos shown on Slipknot's website, reportedly because the masks represent the band's ego.
There are two versions of the video. One uses the album version of the song, whilst the other uses a much shorter version of the song; excluding the "Limits of the Dead!" lines. The video was nominated to Best Rock Video at the VMA's 2008. On YouTube the video of the song had gained over 22 million views, before it was removed in December due to a dispute between Roadrunner Records' distributor, Warner Music Group, and YouTube.
After being re-uploaded the video has since garnered more than 91 million views. Additionally the versions uploaded by Roadrunner France and Roadrunner Germany have gained more than 25 million and nearly 7 million views respectively. Also the version uploaded by the band's YouTube channel has gained more than 7 million views which makes the total tally of views of the song more than 130 million making it one of the most popular songs by Slipknot to date.
In popular culture
The song was featured for available of the soundtrack The Punisher: War Zone.
The song regained some attention when Isosine created a mashup of "Psychosocial" with the song "Baby" by Justin Bieber, resulting the song entitled "Psychosocial Baby" received a lot of attention on the video sharing site YouTube. Corey Taylor, has commented in an interview that he finds the mashup "amusing", even calling it "genius", but also comments that a lot of Slipknot fans are showing hatred towards the mashup. As of June 2016, the song has about 17 million views, while the original single has over 97 million views.
|U.S. Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks||7|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Modern Rock Tracks||20|
|U.S. Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles||2|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Digital Songs||66|
|Canadian Hot 100||75|
|Austrian Singles Chart||65|
|France Singles Top 100||100|
|German Singles Chart||31|
|Swedish Singles Chart||28|
|UK Singles Chart||67|
|New Zealand RIANZ Top 40 Music Chart||35|
All lyrics and music composed by Slipknot.
- Promo CD
- "Psychosocial" (Edit) – 3:57
- "Psychosocial" (Album Version) – 4:42
- 7" vinyl
- "Psychosocial" – 4:43
- "All Hope Is Gone" – 4:44
- Digital download
- "Psychosocial" (Radio Edit) – 3:58
- Limited Edition CD
- "Psychosocial" – 4:43
- "All Hope Is Gone" – 4:44
- Grierson, Tim. "Top 10 Essential Alt-Metal Songs". About.com. Retrieved February 5, 2013.
- "Psychosocial single". Roadrunner Records. 2008-07-01. Archived from the original on 2008-07-05. Retrieved 2008-07-01.
- "SLIPKNOT To Release Free Single On Friday". Blabbermouth.net. 2008-06-18. Retrieved 2008-06-18.
- "Slipknot Performs 'Psychosocial' Live". Ultimate Guitar Archive. Retrieved 2008-07-13.
- "New Rob Zombie song featured on 'Punisher: War Zone' soundtrack". Blabbermouth.net. Roadrunner. 2008-10-20. Retrieved 2008-10-22.
- "51st Grammy Awards Nominees". CBS. Retrieved 2008-12-04.
- "Grammy 2009 Winners List". MTV. 2009-02-08. Retrieved 2012-02-06.
- "The Music // Rock Band". Harmonix. Retrieved 2010-10-18.
- "Slipknot Percussionist Talks About New Single 'Psychosocial'". Blabbermouth.net. 2008-06-19. Retrieved 2008-06-20.
- Chris Steffen (June 8, 2008). "New Slipknot Album: A First Listen to "All Hope Is Gone"". Rolling Stone. Archived from the original on June 22, 2008. Retrieved January 26, 2015.
- Harris, Chris (2008-07-17). "Slipknot's Clown On 'Psychosocial' Video: 'Our Goal Has Always Been To Infect'". MTV. Retrieved 2008-07-18.
- "Slipknot DJ injured!". Kerrang!. 2008-07-01. Retrieved 2008-07-01.
- "And the Slipknot news keeps coming". Roadrunner Records. 2008-07-02. Retrieved 2008-07-02.
- "Slipknot shoot new video for Psychosocial". Kerrang!. Emap. 2008-07-12. p. 08.
- Slipknot video interview!. Kerrang!'. 2008-07-01
- on YouTube
- "Warner Music, YouTube in contract dispute". MarketWatch. 2008-12-21. Retrieved 2009-02-14.
- "Corey Taylor Talks About Justin Bieber, Rebecca Black and MTV". Retrieved 2011-05-17.
- "Justin Bieber vs. Slipknot - Psychosocial Baby". Retrieved 2011-05-17.
- "Slipknot Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks". Billboard. Archived from the original on May 3, 2015. Retrieved 2008-07-23.
- "Slipknot Hot Modern Rock Tracks". Billboard. Archived from the original on July 7, 2014. Retrieved 2008-07-13.
- "Slipknot Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles". Billboard. Archived from the original on 2008-08-22. Retrieved 2008-07-23.
- "Slipknot Hot Digital Singles". Billboard. Archived from the original on 2008-08-22. Retrieved 2008-07-23.
- "Slipknot Canadian Hot 100 Singles". Billboard. Archived from the original on 2008-08-22. Retrieved 2008-07-23.
- "Slipknot – Austria Singles Top 75". acharts.us. Retrieved 2008-09-17.
- "Slipknot - France Singles Top 100". acharts.us. Retrieved 2008-09-13.
- "Slipknot - Germany Singles Top 100". acharts.us. Retrieved 2008-07-29.
- "Slipknot - Swedish Singles Chart". acharts.us. Retrieved 2008-08-21.
- "The Official UK Charts Company : TOP 100 SINGLES CHART:". The Official UK Charts Company. Archived from the original on July 28, 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-28.
- "Slipknot - Psychosocial". acharts.us. Retrieved 2008-08-04.