Public Advocate of the United States
Public Advocate of the United States Logo
Public Advocate of the United States is an organization founded in 1978 by Eugene Delgaudio. It advocates religious conservative policies in American politics. The Southern Poverty Law Center has designated the organization as a hate group for its anti-gay activism.
The organization's platform includes:
- Support for a Federal Marriage Amendment to the United States Constitution, and opposition to same-sex marriage and "so-called 'Gay Rights'." (The organization's activism campaigns focus largely on removing sexual orientation as a protected class and promoting protection for ex-gay therapy participants, and its 2012 political candidate survey is based largely on opposition to gay activism.)
- Support for school prayer
- Expansion of faith-based initiatives
- Opposition to abortion
- Opposition to "hate crimes and thought control legislation"
- Support for "Boy Scouts, organized sports and other activities that reinforce morality, accountability and leadership in our youth"
- Tax cuts and elimination of pork barrel spending
- Eugene Delgaudio, founder and President
- Mark Clayton, 2012 Tennessee Democratic Party nominee for U.S. Senate
In September 2012, it was reported that the SPLC was suing Public Advocate in Denver, Colorado, federal court over a mailer sent to some Colorado primary voters in 2010. The mailer included a modified version of their client's engagement photo, taken of them kissing with the Brooklyn Bridge as a backdrop. Their client is a gay couple who were married in a civil ceremony in Connecticut. The photo had been copied without permission from the couple's blog and edited to appear as if they were kissing with snow-covered pine trees surrounding them, with bold words on a red background saying "State Senator Jean White's idea of "Family Values?"."
- "Nonprofit Report for Public Advocate of the United States". GuideStar. Retrieved October 2, 2012.
- Public Advocate of the United States. "About Us". Retrieved July 10, 2012.
- "Public Advocate Of The United States in Falls Church, Virginia (VA)". Internet FAQ Archives. Retrieved September 26, 2012.
- Gibson, Caitlin (March 26, 2012). "Loudoun Supervisor Eugene Delgaudio's advocacy organization designated a 'hate group'". The Washington Post. Retrieved June 24, 2012.
- Public Advocate of the United States. "2012 Protect the American Family Survey (for Candidates)". Retrieved July 10, 2012.
- Cass, Michael (August 3, 2012). "Tennessee Democratic Party disavows Senate nominee". The Tennessean. Archived from the original on August 5, 2012. Retrieved August 5, 2012.
- Susman, Tina (September 26, 2012). "Gay couple shocked to find their faces on anti-gay mailer". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved September 26, 2012.
- Public Advocate USA official site