Public Enemy No. 1 (Megadeth song)
|"Public Enemy No. 1"|
|Single by Megadeth|
|from the album Thirteen|
|Released||September 13, 2011|
|Megadeth singles chronology|
"Public Enemy No. 1" is a song by the American heavy metal band Megadeth, written by Dave Mustaine. It is the first single and second track from their thirteenth studio album Thirteen, which was released on November 1, 2011. The song was commercially released as a single on September 13, 2011, which was Mustaine's 50th birthday. A music video for the song was released on November 5, 2011.
On October 31 (Halloween), 2011, the band performed the song on the American late-night talk show Jimmy Kimmel Live!. As it was a Halloween edition of the show, the band members were almost unrecognizable, dressed in full costume: Dave Mustaine as Frankenstein's monster, David Ellefson as a werewolf, Chris Broderick as the Phantom of the Opera and Shawn Drover as a Bela Lugosi-style Dracula. The band also performed "Symphony of Destruction", but only a small portion aired over the ending credits. The full performance was made available for view exclusively on the Jimmy Kimmel Live! website.
Mustaine has said that "Public Enemy No. 1" was written about 1920s gangster Al Capone. The inspiration was a possible haunting incident while the band was recording in an old building in Tennessee, which Mustaine described as being a "hideaway" of Capone's.
On September 20, 2011, David Ellefson announced that the band was filming a Western-themed music video for the song in Valencia, California. The video includes live animals and footage of the band. The video was released on November 4, 2011.
Graham Hartmann of Loudwire gave the single three-and-a-half stars out of five, commenting that the song follows the standard Megadeth formula: "aggressive thrash and blistering guitar work", combined with Mustaine's "somewhat" clean vocals.
- "Public Enemy No. 1" – 4:15
|US Mainstream Rock (Billboard)||28|
- Dave Mustaine – vocals, lead and rhythm guitar, 1st and 3rd guitar solos
- Chris Broderick – lead and rhythm guitar, 2nd and 4th guitar solos
- David Ellefson – bass guitar
- Shawn Drover – drums and percussion
- Music and Lyrics – Mustaine and Johnny K
- Hartmann, Graham (September 8, 2011). "Megadeth, 'Public Enemy No. 1′ – Song Review". Loudwire. Retrieved November 20, 2013.
- "Megadeth – Chart history" Billboard Mainstream Rock Songs for Megadeth.
- Thirteen liner notes. Roadrunner Records. 2011. pp. 3, 14.