Public Enemy Returns
|Public Enemy Returns|
|Hangul||강철중: 공공의 적 1-1|
|Hanja||강철중: 公共의 敵 1-1|
|Revised Romanization||Gang Cheoljung: Gonggongui Jeok 1-1|
|McCune–Reischauer||Kang Ch'ŏlchung: Konggongŭi Chŏk 1-1|
|Directed by||Kang Woo-suk|
|Produced by||Kim Joo-sung
|Written by||Jang Jin|
|Music by||Jo Yeong-wook|
|Distributed by||CJ Entertainment|
2007 was a poor year for South Korean cinema, largely due to the reduced screen quota from 146 to 73 days as part of the 2007 free trade agreement between the US and South Korea. This resulted in production costs rising, a series of box office failures, and the number of Korean films sold overseas dropping. During May 2008, only 7.8% of films shown in South Korea were Korean, the lowest level since records began in 2000. It was hoped that the Korean film industry might rally behind Public Enemy Returns. The film sold 4,337,983 tickets nationwide and was the 4th most attended film of 2008.
In debt and out of money, Kang Chul-joong is tired of being a cop and looking to retire. But his boss gives him one last case, an investigation of the president of Geo Seong Enterprises, Lee Won-sool, and some recent murders.
- Sol Kyung-gu ... Kang Chul-joong
- Jung Jae-young ... Lee Won-sool
- Kang Shin-il ... Squad chief Uhm
- Lee Moon-sik ... An-soo
- Yoo Hae-jin ... Yong-man
- Kim Jeong-hak ... Detective Kim
- Kim Nam-gil (credited as Lee Han) ... Mun-su
- Moon Sung-keun ... Tae-san
- Lee Min-ho ... Jung Ha-yeon
Awards and nominations
- 2008 Korean Film Awards
- Nomination - Best Supporting Actor - Kang Shin-il
- Grand Prize for Film - Kang Woo-suk
- Nomination - Best Director - Kang Woo-suk
- Nomination - Best Actor - Sol Kyung-gu
- Nomination - Best Screenplay - Jang Jin
- "Box office by Country: Public Enemy Returns". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 2012-06-04.
- Lee Hyo-won (19 June 2008). "Sul Returns as Kang Cheol-jung". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2013-09-13.
- Mark Russell (9 June 2008). "Korean boxoffice numbers still sliding". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2008-07-06.
- Peter Martin (18 June 2008). "Asian Cinema Scene: Will Public Enemy Save Korea?". Cinematical. Retrieved 2008-07-06.
- Nigel D'Sa (25 June 2008). "Public Enemy Returns to Shake up the B.O.". Korean Film Council. Retrieved 2013-09-13.
- Yi Ch'ang-ho (17 July 2008). "Public Enemy Returns third to reach 4 million mark". Korean Film Council. Retrieved 2013-09-13.
- "The Best Selling Films of 2008". Koreanfilm.org. Retrieved 2012-06-04.
- "Kang Cheol-Jung : Public Enemy 1-1 - Awards". Cinemasie. Retrieved 2013-09-13.