This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (June 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The historical account of his involvement in the Third Servile War is incomplete, but we know that an advance force of 2,000 led by his legate, Lucius Furius, was defeated and that a later encounter also ended in the defeat of another 4,000 men. Varinius later held the office as governor of the province of Asia in 65 BC.
Portrayals in film or television
Varinius, played by Australian actor Brett Tucker, is a chief antagonist in the Starz series Spartacus: Vengeance. He's a military and political figure of some importance, holding the rank of praetor, like Glaber (Craig Parker); as such, due to the competitive nature of Roman politics, the two are rivals. Glaber is constantly at odds with Varinius and eventually sees him killed by a flaming stone shot from a catapult during an attack on Spartacus.
Varinius was portrayed by Niall Refoy in the 2004 miniseries Spartacus. He was renamed as Publius Maximus.
Selected ancient sources
- Sallust, Histories 3.95-98 Maurenbrecher.
- Frontinus, Strategemata 1.5.22.
- Plutarch, Crassus 9.4-6.
- Appian, Civil Wars 1.116.
- Florus, Epitome 2.8.5 (Varinius is the unnamed general whose camp was attacked)
- Some of these sources are available in English translation from the Internet Ancient History Sourcebook <http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/ancient/3slaverevolttexts.htm>.
- The Spartacus War by Barry Strauss
- Appian conflates the names of Varinius and Claudius Glaber, writing Varinios Glabros, not Varinius Faber, as in the Ancient Sourcebook translation.
- Bradley, Keith. Slavery and Rebellion in the Roman World. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1989, pp. 95–96. ISBN 0-253-31259-0
- Broughton, T. Robert S. "Magistrates of the Roman Republic." Vol. 2. Cleveland: Case Western University Press, 1968, p. 110 & 119.
|This ancient Roman biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|