This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2013)
|• Chinese||蒲种 (Simplified)|
|• Total||51.71 km2 (19.97 sq mi)|
|• Density||6,486.54/km2 (15,315.93/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (MST)|
|• Summer (DST)||Not applicable|
43300 (Seri Kembangan)
58200 (Kuala Lumpur)
|Area code(s)||Mostly +603-80 and +603-58, rarely +60-3-77, +60-3-79, +603-83 and +603-89|
Puchong is a major town and a parliamentary constituency in Petaling District, Selangor, Malaysia.
It is bordered by Subang Jaya in the north, Sepang and Putrajaya in the south, Seri Kembangan in the east and Putra Heights in the west.
The first settlers of the area were the Orang Asli community in a village known as Kampung Pulas. In 1900, heron (Malay: burung puchong) were aplenty in the area and were a staple for the Orang Asli.
However, it is believed that the area was explored by immigrants from Sumatra and Java. At first, the people worked as fish mongers, rubber tappers and miners. Due to the booming tin mining industry, immigrants from China and India were also brought in.
During the communist insurgency in 1948, all residents were resettled to an area which is known as Kampung Baru Batu 14.
During the 1980s, Puchong consisted of a single two-lane road running through estates and villages. Puchong development began circa 1985, when the mining licenses expired and infrastructure began to be built.
Since then, urbanization has occurred rapidly with many industrial parks, commercial centres and residential areas mushrooming along Jalan Puchong. Residential areas include Taman Kinrara, Bandar Bukit Puchong 2 and Bandar Kinrara.
Puchong is under the jurisdiction of four local authorities;
- 5th to 7th mile stretch is under Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) jurisdiction (Seputeh)
- Kinrara, 8th to 16th mile, Taman Puchong Utama, Taman Saujana Puchong, Puchong Prima, Bukit Puchong 1, Bandar Puteri and Puchong Permai is under the Subang Jaya City Council (MBSJ) in Petaling District (Petaling subdistrict) and
- Bukit Puchong 2, 16 Sierra, Pulau Meranti, Bandar Nusaputra, Taman Putra Perdana, Taman Putra Prima, Taman Meranti Jaya and Taman Mas, is under Sepang Municipal Council (MPSepang) in Sepang District (Dengkil subdistrict).
- the remaining areas near Bandar Saujana Putra such as Taman Dagang Mas, Koi Prima and Putra Industrial Park, is under Kuala Langat Municipal Council (MPKL) in Kuala Langat District (Tanjung Dua Belas subdistrict).
The Puchong town centre (Malay: Pusat Bandar Puchong) is mostly located within MBSJ's (Subang Jaya) jurisdictional area on the Petaling District.
As of 2010, the area of Puchong has a population of 356,125.
The following is based on Department of Statistics Malaysia 2010 census.
|Ethnic groups in Puchong, 2010|
Representing in the Federal Parliament (Dewan Rakyat)
|Parliament||Seat name||Member of Parliament||Party|
|P102||Bangi||Ong Kian Ming||Pakatan Harapan (PH-DAP)|
|P103||Puchong||Gobind Singh Deo||Pakatan Harapan (PH-DAP)|
|P112||Kuala Langat||Xavier Jayakumar||Pakatan Harapan (PH-PKR)|
|P113||Sepang||Mohamed Hanipa Maidin||Pakatan Harapan (PH-Amanah)|
|P122||Seputeh||Teresa Kok||Pakatan Harapan (PH-DAP)|
Representing in the State Legislative Assembly (Dewan Undangan Negeri) in Selangor
|Parliament||State||Seat name||State Assemblyman||Party|
|P102||N26||Sungai Ramal||Mazwan Johar||Pakatan Harapan (PH-Amanah)|
|P102||N28||Seri Kembangan||Ean Yong Hian Wah||Pakatan Harapan (PH-DAP)|
|P103||N29||Sri Serdang||Siti Mariah Mahmud||Pakatan Harapan (PH-Amanah)|
|P103||N30||Kinrara||Ng Sze Han||Pakatan Harapan (PH-DAP)|
|P112||N51||Sijangkang||Ahmad Yunus Hairi||Pan-Malaysian Islamic Party (PAS-GS)|
|P113||N55||Dengkil||Adhif Syan Abdullah||Pakatan Harapan (PH-PKR)|
|Postcode||Areas covered||Local authority|
|43300||Lestari Puchong, Lestari Perdana, Putra Permai||Subang Jaya City Council (MBSJ)|
|47100||Bandar Puteri Puchong, Taman Industri Pusat Bandar Puchong, 12 to 14th mile, Jalan Puchong, Taman PKNS, Taman Puchong Hartamas, Taman Puchong Impian, Kampung Pasir Baru, Kampung Bunga Melur, Kampung Pasir Cina, Kampung Baru Puchong, Koi Tropika, Taman Puchong Utama, Bandar Puchong Jaya, Casa Tropika||Subang Jaya City Council (MBSJ)|
|47110||Taman Saujana Puchong, Taman Mutiara Indah, Laman Granview||Subang Jaya City Council (MBSJ)|
|47110||Sierra 2, Sierra 3, Sierra 5, Sierra 7, Sierra 8, Sierra 9, Sierra 10, Sierra 11, Sierra 12, Sierra 15, Sierra 17, Bandar 16 Sierra, Bandar Puchong South||Sepang Municipal Council (MPSepang)|
|47120||Bandar Bukit Puchong 2, D'Island, Pulau Meranti, Taman Desa Air Hitam, Taman Perindustrian Meranti Jaya, Taman Meranti Jaya, Taman Putra Impiana, Taman Tasik Puchong, Taman Meranti Indah, Taman Perindustrian Tasik Perdana, Duta Perdana, Taman Meranti Permai, Taman KiPark Puchong, Desaria Apartment, Bandar D'Alpinia, Taman Abadi Heights, Aman Putra, Batu 18 Sungai Rasau||Sepang Municipal Council (MPSepang)|
|47130||Taman Mas Sepang, Taman Putra Perdana, Taman Amanputra, Bandar Nusaputra, Taman Putra Prima||Sepang Municipal Council (MPSepang)|
|47130||Koi Prima, Taman Dagang Mas, Taman Mas Langat, Putra Industrial Park||Kuala Langat Municipal Council (MPKL)|
|47140||Taman Puchong Utama, Bandar Puchong Utama, Bandar Bukit Puchong 1||Subang Jaya City Council (MBSJ)|
|47150||Taman Tasik Prima, Taman Puchong Perdana, Kampung Seri Aman, Taman Puchong Tekali, Taman Puchong Prima, Taman Puchong Indah, Bandar Metro Puchong, Bistari Residensi, Desa Millennia||Subang Jaya City Council (MBSJ)|
|47160||Pusat Bandar Puchong, Taman Wawasan, Taman Wawasan 2||Subang Jaya City Council (MBSJ)|
|47170||Bandar Puchong Jaya, IOI Mall, Taman Tenaga, Aman Sari, Bukit Tandang, Casa Square||Subang Jaya City Council (MBSJ)|
|47180||Taman Kinrara (Section 1 to 2), Bandar Kinrara (BK 1 to 9), Duta Kinrara||Subang Jaya City Council (MBSJ)|
|47190||Taman Kinrara (Section 3 to 5), Taman Bukit Kuchai, Kampung Desa Kuchai||Subang Jaya City Council (MBSJ)|
|58200||6th to 7th mile, Jalan Puchong, Kinrara Mas, Alam Sutera, Kg Muhibbah||Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL)|
Puchong has both local and foreign banks including CIMB Bank, Maybank, Public Bank, Bank Rakyat, HSBC Bank, Hong Leong Bank, Affin Bank, Alliance Bank, Bank of China, Citibank and ICBC Bank.
There is a wet market called Puteri Mart at Bandar Puteri and the Town Park where residents can shop for their groceries. Residents of Puchong can also do their shopping in Lotus's, Lotus's Bukit Puchong, OTK, IOI Mall (which has a multiplex and bowling alley), Giant, AEON, Milemia Square Mall, Heromarket Batu 14, Heromarket Meranti Jaya, Komplexs Puchong Parade and Puchong Plaza shopping malls. Bank of China (M) Bhd opened its 6th branch in Malaysia at Tower 2, PFCC, Bandar Puteri Puchong in 2012.
IOI Boulevard is one of the business centres located here with retail and office units. A similar project by S P Setia called SetiaWalk Puchong has been built. Block K of SetiaWalk (also known as SetiaWalk Mall) has a gym (Celebrity Fitness), a TGV cinema, Fun and Cheer store and a multiplex which houses a Subway outlet.
Rakan Muda Sports Complex is a sport centre which also serves the residents of Puchong with many kinds of sports including futsal and badminton. The Ayer Hitam Forest Reserve is the remaining green lung in Puchong, it is a popular trekking spot for many active residents to enjoy nature. There are still many mining ponds around Puchong where locals engage in water sports and fishing.
There is also the Taman Wawasan Recreational Park for residents around this area. It is complete with a jogging track, basketball courts and children's playground. This is a popular location during the weekends where residents can be seen organizing activities throughout the day.
Private hospitals Columbia Asia Hospital and KPMC Puchong Medical Centre are both located at Bandar Puteri Puchong.
A public government clinic is located at Puchong Batu 14.
IMU Chiropractic Clinic is a Healthcare centre located at Ground Floor of Setiawalk, Pusat Bandar Puchong.
- SK Puchong
- SK Puchong Perdana
- SK Bukit Kuchai
- SK Puchong Utama
- SK Puchong Utama 2
- SK Seksyen 1 Bandar Kinrara
- SK Seksyen 2 Bandar Kinrara
- SK Puchong Indah
- SK Pusat Bandar Puchong 1
- SK Pusat Bandar Puchong 2
- SK Pulau Meranti
- SK Taman Putra Perdana 1
- SK Taman Putra Perdana 2
- SK Saujana Puchong
- SK Puchong Jaya
Chinese Primary School
- SJK(C) Han Ming
- SJK(C) Yak Chee
- SJK(C) Sin Ming
- SJK(C) Shin Cheng (Harcroft)
- SJK(C) Kheng Chee
Tamil Primary Schools
- SJK(T) Puchong
- SJK(T) Castlefield
- SJK(T) Kinrara
International and Private Schools
- Rafflesia International School
- Sekolah Rendah Rafflesia (Primary)
- Taylor's International School
- British Circle Academy
- Axcel Campus
- Regent International School, Puchong
- Inspiros International School
- RightBridge Academy
- Aletheia Resource Center
- MAHSA International School (located in Bandar Saujana Putra, Kuala Langat, on the other side of Puchong)
- Rafflesia International School
- Taylor's International School
- SMK Puchong Utama (1)
- SMK Puchong Batu 14
- SMK Puchong Perdana
- SMK Puchong Permai
- Sekolah Menengah Islam Puchong
- SMK Pusat Bandar Puchong 1
- SMK Bandar Puchong Jaya A
- SMK Bandar Puchong Jaya B
- SMK Seksyen 1 Bandar Kinrara
- SMK Seksyen 3 Bandar Kinrara
- SMK Seksyen 4 Bandar Kinrara.
- SMK Batu 8
- SMK Putra Perdana
- RIMA International College (specialize in LCCI courses, Business programmes from Heriot-Watt, Bioscience, Hotel Management programme from CTH (endorsed by Gordon Ramsay))
- Binary University College (specializes in management and entrepreneurship courses)
- Putra Intelek International College (located in Bandar Puteri 5, Puchong, they are specialized in Risk Management, Information Technology, Business Management, Accounting and Finance and Forensic Accounting)
- MAHSA University (located in Bandar Saujana Putra, Kuala Langat, on the other side of Puchong)
The main thoroughfare through Puchong is the Damansara–Puchong Expressway which links this town all the way to Kepong. Another route, the Shah Alam Expressway connects Puchong to Port Klang, Shah Alam, Subang Jaya and Sri Petaling.
Other highways include:
- North–South Expressway Central Link highway North–South Expressway Central Link, which connects between Shah Alam, Putra Heights, Bandar Saujana Putra, Kuala Lumpur International Airport and Nilai, accessible through Jalan Kampung Lombong in Taman Mas/Taman Putra Prima or Jalan Puchong–Dengkil in Bandar Nusaputra/Putra Perdana.
- Putrajaya Link North–South Expressway Central Link, which connects between Putrajaya and Cyberjaya, accessible through Jalan Puchong–Dengkil in Bandar Nusaputra/Putra Perdana.
- South Klang Valley Expressway connects Puchong to Pulau Indah, Banting and Kajang, accessible through Damansara–Puchong Expressway or Jalan Kampung Lombong in Taman Mas/Taman Putra Prima.
- Bukit Jalil Highway Federal Route 217, connects from Bandar Kinrara to Bukit Jalil and Malaysia Technology Park.
- Jalan Puchong–Petaling Jaya (Selangor state highway B11) connects from Petaling Jaya or Old Klang Road areas to Bandar Kinrara in Puchong.
- Jalan Puchong–Dengkil (Selangor state highway B15) connects from Bandar Puteri Puchong to Cyberjaya and Putrajaya Link, including Puchong suburbs of Taman Putra Perdana, Pulau Meranti, Bandar Bukit Puchong, Taman Meranti Jaya and Puchong Utama.
- Shah Alam–Puchong Highway (Federal route 3214) connects from Puchong Barat to Shah Alam, Alam Megah (Section 26/27/28), Putra Heights and USJ/Subang Jaya (Persiaran Kewajipan).
- Lingkaran Putra Prima connects from Taman Meranti Jaya to several Puchong suburbs such as Puchong Utama, Taman Puchong Tekali, Taman Tasik Prima, Kampung Seri Aman, Taman Mas Sepang, Taman Putra Prima, Putra Industrial Park, Koi Prima and Bandar Saujana Putra. This road can be used as a transit route towards ELITE or SKVE expressways through Jalan Kampung Lombong.
There are also bus services connecting Puchong to Kuala Lumpur, Subang Jaya, Bandar Sunway, Petaling Jaya, Putrajaya and Cyberjaya.
Bus services are provided by RapidKL and Causeway Link (based in Johor Bahru) which have routes along Jalan Puchong, Jalan Klang Lama and Damansara–Puchong Expressway to various destinations around Klang Valley. Taman Kinrara, one of the nearest housing estates to the city, is only about 30 metres from the border between Selangor and Kuala Lumpur.
- 503: KT3 Putrajaya Sentral - Taman Puchong Utama via Cyberjaya and Taman Putra Perdana (operated by Causeway Link)
- 506: Bandar Utama bus hub - KT3 Putrajaya Sentral via Damansara–Puchong Expressway and Pusat Bandar Puchong (operated by RapidKL)
- 600: Taman Puchong Utama - Pasar Seni via Damansara–Puchong Expressway (operated by RapidKL)
- 601: Taman Putra Perdana - Pasar Seni via Batu 14 Puchong and Bandar Puteri Puchong (operated by Causeway Link)
- 602: Taman Puchong Prima - SP24 IOI Puchong Jaya LRT station via Puchong Perdana (operated by RapidKL)
- 604: Taman Saujana Puchong - Pasar Seni via Batu 14 Puchong and Bandar Puteri Puchong (operated by Causeway Link)
- 608: Pulau Meranti - SP24 IOI Puchong Jaya LRT station via Puchong Utama, Batu 14 Puchong and Bandar Puteri Puchong (operated by Causeway Link)
- T600: SP24 IOI Puchong Jaya LRT station - Taman Wawasan (operated by RapidKL)
- T601: SP29 Puchong Prima LRT station - Puchong Utama (operated by RapidKL)
- T602: Taman Puchong Utama - Taman Saujana Puchong (operated by RapidKL)
- T603: SP29 Puchong Prima LRT station - Taman Mas Sepang / Taman Putra Prima (operated by RapidKL)
- T604: SP26 Taman Perindustrian Puchong LRT station - Taman Sri Puchong (operated by RapidKL)
- T605: Taman Puchong Utama - SP24 IOI Puchong Jaya LRT station via Batu 14 and Bandar Puteri Puchong (operated by RapidKL)
- SJ02: KJ30 SS18 LRT station, Subang Jaya - SP25 Pusat Bandar Puchong LRT station via Sunway Pyramid (operated by Smart Selangor Bus)
- SJ03: SP22 Kinrara BK5 LRT station - Bandar Puchong Jaya (operated by Smart Selangor Bus)
Light Rail Transit (LRT)
Under the LRT Extension Project (LEP), the 4 Sri Petaling Line is now extended into Puchong constituency with the addition of nine new stations, namely:
- SP21 Alam Sutera;
- SP22 Kinrara BK 5;
- SP24 IOI Puchong Jaya;
- SP25 Pusat Bandar Puchong;
- SP26 Taman Perindustrian Puchong;
- SP27 Bandar Puteri;
- SP28 Puchong Perdana;
- SP29 Puchong Prima; and
- SP31 KJ37 Putra Heights.
Putra Heights station is the second interchange of the Sri Petaling Line with the 5 Kelana Jaya Line; the other being SP7 AG7 KJ13 Masjid Jamek station. This allows residents in Puchong and Subang Jaya to travel to Kuala Lumpur city centre, Petaling Jaya, Ampang, Wangsa Maju and even Gombak while avoiding traffic congestion.
Mass Rapid Transit (MRT)
The PY38 16 Sierra station of Klang Valley MRT Putrajaya Line will be located between the 16 Sierra and Pulau Meranti suburbs of Puchong. The 16 Sierra MRT station is expected to complete and start operation in January 2023.
- ^ a b c Puchong atau hantu pocong? . Sinar Harian. 10 December 2014. Retrieved 2015-12-08.
- ^ Puchong – Origins and History – Bandar Puteri Today Archived 2015-12-08 at the Wayback Machine. Bandar Puteri Today. 20 November 2015. Retrieved 2015-06-02.
- ^ Puchong: Former mining town's growing pains . The Star Online. 8 December 2015. Retrieved 2015-12-08.
- ^ "MAJLIS DAERAH KUALA LANGAT – MDKL/UPSPPA/T : 09/2016 TENDER BAGI KERJA-KERJA PENGURUSAN SISA PEPEJAL DI KAWASAN PERUMAHAN, LOT KEDAI DAN TONG SAMPAH DI PADANG PERMAINAN JALAN SP 1, SP 2, SP 3, SP 4, PANGSAPURI (SRI SAUJANA, IMPIAN, KOI PRIMA, SP U, BANDAR SAUJANA PUTRA, BANDAR RIMBAYU, DAERAH KUALA LANGAT. | TenderDB.com | TenderDB.com". Archived from the original on 2017-03-03. Retrieved 2017-03-02.
- ^ a b "Population Distribution by Local Authority Areas and Mukims, 2010" (PDF). Department of Statistics Malaysia. Archived from the original (PDF) on 27 February 2012.
- ^ "New facility for Puchong | The Star".
- ^ "Klinik Kesihatan Puchong - Jabatan Kesihatan Negeri Selangor". jknsel.moh.gov.my. Archived from the original on 2020-07-05.
- ^ "Puchong - CAMPUS | Taylor's International School".
Coordinates: 3°00′07″N 101°37′37″E / 3.0019011°N 101.6269839°E