|Initial release||July 13, 2008|
|Stable release||1.2.0 (November 27, 2016) [±]|
|Available in||English, Dutch, French, German, Portuguese (Brazilian), Russian, Czech|
Puddletag is an audio tag (metadata) editor for audio file formats.
Under the hood it utilizes Mutagen, a Python module to handle audio metadata. Mutagen supports ASF, FLAC, M4A, APE, MP3, MPC, Ogg Opus, Ogg FLAC, Ogg Speex, Ogg Theora, Ogg Vorbis, True Audio, WavPack, OptimFROG, and AIFF audio files. All versions of ID3v2 are supported, and all standard ID3v2.4 frames are parsed. It can read Xing headers to accurately calculate the bitrate and length of MP3s. ID3 and APEv2 tags can be edited regardless of audio format. It can also manipulate Ogg streams on an individual packet/page level.
The user interface is very similar to that of Mp3tag, it uses a spreadsheet-like layout so that all the tags a user may want to edit by hand are visible and easily editable. All the other audio taggers available for Linux take a different approach to user interface design.
Puddletag is written in Python 2.x and uses Qt 4 (through PyQt) for its user interface. Mutagen works on Python 2.6, 2.7, 3.3, 3.4 (CPython and PyPy) and has no dependencies outside the Python standard library.
- Batch Tag Editing. Write ID3v1.1, ID3v2.3, ID3v2.4, MPEG-4, WMA, APEv2 Tags and Vorbis comments to multiple files at once.
- Full Unicode support
- Support for embedded album cover art
- Automatically creates playlists
- Recursive subfolder support
- User-defined field mappings
- Remove parts of a tag or the entire tag from multiple files
- Rename and/or move files and folders based on the tag information
- Import tags from filenames, text files and clipboard
- Quick search and replace text in highlighted tracks/fields without having to resort to actions
- Format tags and filenames
- Replace characters or words from tags and filenames
- Regular expressions
- Export tag information to user-defined formats (i.e. HTML, RTF, CSV, XML, TXT AND JSON)
- Import tag information from online databases like freedb, Discogs, MusicBrainz AcoustID or Amazon (also by text-search)
- Full AcoustID integration
- Import tag information from local freedb databases
- Support for ID3v2.3 (ISO-8859-1 and UTF-16) and ID3v2.4 with UTF-8
- Automated Mass Tagging of multiple albums including the ability to enrich existing metadata using one or more metadata sources in a single operation
- Single Album and Mass Album Tagging results can be accepted/edited/rejected at track and/or field level