|Directed by||R. Parthiban|
|Produced by||A. Sundaram|
|Screenplay by||R. Parthiban|
|Story by||R. Parthiban|
|Edited by||M. N. Raja|
Pudhea Paadhai (English: New way/direction); often spelled as Pudhiya Paadhai) is a 1989 Tamil film written and directed by R. Parthiban. Parthiban's directorial debut, it features himself in the lead role as an inhumane ruffian who gets reformed by his rape victim, portrayed by Seetha. The film released to critical acclaim and emerged a box-office success, while also winning several accolades including two National Film Awards, and two Tamil Nadu State Film Awards. It was remade into Hindi as Benaam Badsha starring Anil Kapoor and Juhi Chawla in lead roles which did above average business at the box-office.
Parthiban, an erstwhile assistant of K. Bhagyaraj made his directorial debut with this film. The film was initially titled as Kelvikkuri with Babji of Hemnag films producing it. However after shooting for 3 days, it was stopped. Babji advised Parthiban to tell the story to Sundaram, a popular distributor. Sundaram liked the script and decided to produce the film. Though Parthiban was keen on roping another actor for the leading role but Sundaram wanted him to play the role. Sundaram wanted the different title, he then selected Puthiya Paathai from the 50 titles shortlisted. The film was made with a budget of 38 lakhs.
- National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Tamil
- National Film Award for Best Supporting Actress - Manorama
- Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Film
- Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Storywriter - R. Parthiban
|1990||Hosa Jeevana||Kannada||Shankar Nag||H. R. Bhargava|
|1991||Benaam Badsha||Hindi||Anil Kapoor, Juhi Chawla, Shilpa Shirodkar||K. Ravi Shankar|
|1996||Swarnakireedam||Malayalam||Manoj K. Jayan, Vani Viswanath, Kalabhavan Mani||V. M. Vinu|
A sequel has been announced by Parthiepan.
- Dhananjayan 2014, p. 302.
- Dailynews - Parthiban to direct ‘Pudhiya Paadhai’
- Stark portrayal of reality - The Times of India
- The Hindu : Arts / Cinema : Vithagan is back
- Dhananjayan 2014, p. 303.
- Class performer - Deccan Herald
- The Hindu : Metro Plus Madurai : There ain’t any stopping her