Rice mill town
|• Total||around 10,000|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
Puduvayal is a town in Karaikudi taluk, Sivaganga district in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It is a town located in the Chettinad region of the Sivagangai district. On road, it is 12 km away from Karaikudi and 21 km away from Aranthangi. This town is famous for its rice mills. Puduvayal is the 2nd largest rice producer in Tamil Nadu. Puduvayal is an important commercial centre for trade in the Sivaganga district and part of the suburban region of Karaikudi. The town is famous for its Veerasekara Umaiyambigai Temple (Sakkottai area). Nearby Kandanur is famous for Kandanur Sivan Kovil--which is a replica of the Madurai Meenakshi Temple--built by Nagarthars.
The town is situated in ￼￼the Sivagangai District. It is about 10 kilometers from Karaikudi on the Karaikudi-Aranthangi road in Tamil Nadu, India. Its geographical coordinates are and its original name (with diacritics) is Puduvāyal. The town is at an altitude of 39 ft. Its pincode is 630-108.
There is a railway station in the town on the Karaikudi - Mayiladuthurai meter gauge line (at present this section is closed for gauge conversion) set up by Muthappa Chettiar in the mid-1930s. The town is connected by road with all important cities. Regular bus services are available from Chennai, (Appalai) Coimbatore, Karaikudi, Paramakudi, Madurai, Erode, Pattukkottai, Aranthangi, Aalangudi, Devakottai, Sivagangai, Rameshwaram, Embel, Pudukkottai, Peraoorani, Andakudi, Kudikaadu, Pavayal, Jayankondan, Molunboor, Thiruthangoor, Natuchery, Jayankondan, Peerkalaikadu, Nagoor, Thiruvaroor, Koodaipattanam, Vellakani, Theni, Nammakal, Thanjavur, Tirupur, Kodaikanal, Ooty and other towns and cities. The town has a large number of rice mills and therefore, has a heavy influx of goods carriers.
- Ramanathan Chettiar Higher Secondary School
- Sri Saraswathi Vidhyalaya Girls Higher Secondary School
- Ramanathan Chettiar Elementary School
- Al-Ameen Nursery School
- Sri Kalaimagal Vidhyalaya Matric School
- Valliammai Achi Montessori School
- Sri Vidhyagiri Matriculation School
- Sri Vidhyagiri Arts & Science College
- Abdul Kalam College of Nursing & Catering
- Annamalai Para-Medical College
The New Land Football Club (NLFC) is the most famed club in the village, they conduct a tournament every year, which is a huge crowd-pulling event. ￼Friends Volleyball Club was founded here in 1986. This club hosts tournaments every year where teams from all over India participate. There are many famous cricket teams here, such as: WALLS-108 (only quick matches), and RCC.
King Mini Star (Natarajapura) Cricket Club is a famous cricket team in this town. They host cricket tournaments every year.
male literacy is 81%, and female literacy is 66%. In Puduvayal, 12% of the population is under 6 years of age.
- Puduvayal, India Page http://www.fallingrain.com/world/IN/25/Puduvayal.html
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 16 June 2004. Retrieved 1 November 2008.