The bridge in 2012.
|Carries||Pedestrians, carts, cars and trams|
|Locale||Buenos Aires, Argentina|
|Official name||Transbordador del Riachuelo Nicolás Avellaneda|
|Named for||Nicolás Avellaneda|
|Heritage status||National Historic Monument of Argentina|
|Construction start||25 September 1908|
|Opened||31 May 1914|
Puente Transbordador (also known as Buenos Aires Transporter Bridge, Puente Transbordador de La Boca Puente Transbordador Nicolás Avellaneda, Antiguo Puente Nicolás Avellaneda or Transbordador del Riachuelo ) is a transporter bridge in Buenos Aires, Argentina. The bridge was in use from its completion in 1914 until 1960, when operation ceased until 2017. Since 1999 the bridge is a National Historic Monument of Argentina.
The transporter bridge was the first link to connect Buenos Aires with the outskirts on the other side of the Riachuelo River. The bridge links the Avenida La Plata in the neighbourhood Island Maciel of Dock Sud with Avenida Almirante Brown in the La Boca neighbourhood of Buenos Aires.
The platform of the transporter bridge measured 8 by 12 metres and could be operated from a control stand on itself or from the machine house. It was designed to carry pedestrians, carts, cars and trams.
On September 25, 1908 the Buenos Aires Great Southern Railway was authorised to build a transporter bridge uniting the city of Buenos Aires with Buenos Aires Province south of the Riachuelo River. Buenos Aires Province bore all the costs of the bridge despite it also serving the Argentinian capital.
The transporter bridge was inaugurated May 31, 1914 and operated until 1960. The Puente Nicolás Avellaneda road bridge (just 100 metres away), was constructed in 1940.
On September 2017, the bridge was finally restored and reopen to public for the first time in 57 years.
- Buenos Aires, Gobierno de la Ciudad: Transbordador del Riachuelo, visited 2009-06-14
- Todos Buenos Aires: Puente Transbordador de La Boca, visited 2009-06-14
- Clarin.com, 1997-11-29: Restaurarán el puente Nicolás Avellaneda
- Clarin.com, 2017-09-25: El Transbordador del Puente de La Boca vuelve a funcionar con un viaje para los vecinos
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Transbordador Nicolás Avellaneda.|
- Buenos Aires Transporter Bridge at Structurae
- Puente Transbordador de La Boca in Todos Buenos Aires (in Spanish)
- Transbordador del Riachuelo on the official site of Buenos Aires Government (in Spanish)
- Puente Transbordador de La Boca historical photos (in Spanish)
|This article about a bridge in Argentina is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|