Puerto de Mogán
It attracts many tourists either to stay or on day-visits. Canals linking the marina to the fishing harbour have led to it being nicknamed "Little Venice" or the "Venice of the Canaries". Its beach (Mogan beach or playa de Mogan) has a good reputation. Restaurants and bars fringe the marina and the beach front.
On Fridays there is a very popular market which brings in tourists from all over the island.
Puerto de Mogán has very few buildings over two storeys high and the government of Gran Canaria restricts new buildings taller than this.
Puerto de Mogán can be reached via a new extension of the motorway GC1 (opened in March 2013) which terminates just to the north of the village, and is also on several bus routes.
- The Cats' ravine (cañada de los Gatos or Lomo los Gatos) is located at the mouth of the Mogan ravine that opens onto Mogan beach.[note 1]
- The valley of the Sea (cañada de la Mar) was also declared Property of cultural interest as archaeological zone, in 2005.
Mogan's windmill, also known as the Burnt mill ("Molino quemado"), is listed since 2002 as Heritage site in the category "ethnological site". It stands in Mogan ravine 7 km north-east from Puerto de Mogan.
Notes and references
- This uTube video shows the Mogan's ravine (1'02 - 1'11) where the Cat's' ravine archaeological site is located.
- Playa de Mogan on spain-grancanaria.com.
- List of archaeological sites in Mogan municipality, on grancanariapatrimonio.com. See also Mogan on estodotuyo.com.
- Lomo Los Gatos on grancanariapatrimonio.com.
- (in Spanish) "Decree 259/1993, September 24, 1993, by which the Cats' ravine ("Lomo de los Gatos" is declared Bien de Interés Cultural, in the category of archaeological zone. BOC N° 137". 27 October 1993. p. 1735..
- (in Spanish) "Decree 175/2005, July 20, 2005, by which "La Cañada de La Mar" is declared Bien de Interés Cultural, in the category of archaeological zone. BOC No. 149". 1 August 2005. p. 14376..
- La Cogolla de Veneguera on grancanariapatrimonio.com. .
- (in Spanish) "Decree 39/2006, May 9, 2006, by which "La Cogolla de Veneguera" is declared Bien de Interés Cultural, in the category of archaeological zone. BOC N° 093". 16 May 2006..
- Mogan Windmill on toponimograncanaria.blogspot.fr.
- (in Spanish) "Decree 39/2006, May 9, 2006, by which "La Cogolla de Veneguera" is declared Bien de Interés Cultural, in the category of archaeological zone" (PDF). 28 October 2002. p. 17795..
- The Burnt mill on googlemaps.com.
Media related to Puerto de Mogán at Wikimedia Commons