|Genre||Children's television series|
|Created by||Lily Bernard|
|Written by||Sara Daddy|
|Directed by||Maurice Joyce|
|Voices of||Kate McCafferty|
|Narrated by||Chris O'Dowd|
|Country of origin||Ireland|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||78|
|Executive producers||Gerry Shirren|
|Running time||19 minutes each episode|
|Production companies||Cartoon Saloon|
Penguin Random House
|Original network||RTÉjr (Ireland)|
|Original release||12 January 2015 –|
12 August 2016
Puffin Rock is an Irish children's television series that originally aired on RTÉjr in Ireland, Nick Jr., Nick Jr. Too and Milkshake! in the United Kingdom, Nick Jr. in Italy, ABC Kids in Australia, and Netflix in Ireland, the United States, Canada, Latin America, Spain, the Benelux countries, UK, Poland, France, Denmark and Germany. The program is narrated by Chris O'Dowd. The series premiered on 12 January 2015. In July 2019, Cartoon Saloon announced that a film based on the series was in development.
Based on Puffin Island which is situated off the Irish coast, the series follows a young puffin named Oona and her little brother Baba as they explore their world.
- Oona (voiced by Kate McCafferty) - A female Atlantic Puffin and the protagonist of the series. She is preschool-aged and treats every day as a new opportunity.
- Baba (voiced by Sally McDaid) - Oona's younger brother. He is easily distracted and can be slightly clumsy at times. Baba says "Ba ba boooo!" at the end of the theme song.
- Mama Puffin (voiced by Geraldine Cole)- Oona and Baba's mother.
- Papa Puffin (voiced by Brian McMonagle) - Oona and Baba's father.
- Mossy (voiced by Darragh Gargan) - Oona's best friend, a brown Eurasian Pygmy Shrew. He lives in a tree stump on the island and is usually focused on food.
- May (voiced by Anna McDaid) - An energetic rabbit who lives in a burrow on the island. She is very competitive and regularly challenges Oona to races.
- Silky (voiced by Laura McCallan) - A grey-coloured seal pup who lives in a nearby lagoon. She joins Oona and Baba on their underwater adventures.
- Otto (voiced by Brenn Doherty) - A green owl who normally appears slightly uncoordinated. He is an expert flier and shares flying tips with Oona.
- Bernie (voiced by Jim Craig) - An elderly hermit crab who enjoys telling tales of his youth to Oona and Baba.
- Flynne (voiced by Orna Canning) - A fox who does not like to be bothered but has shown from time to time that she has a caring heart.
- Spikey - A baby hedgehog who Baba enjoys playing with.
- Chloe - A migrating Arctic Tern who visits Puffin Rock during the summer.
The first season began airing on RTÉjr on 12 January 2015. The second season aired in 2016.
List of episodes
- Puffin Practice - Oona tries to teach her brother Baba how to act like a grown-up puffin.
- The Mystery Egg - Oona, Baba, and Mossy must help an egg find its parents.
- To See the Moon - Oona wants to stay up late to see a super moon.
- The Shiny Shell - A shell that Baba finds attracts seagulls.
- Friendly Flynne - Flynne the fox tries to prove that she is nice.
- A Feather Bed - Oona and Baba find bedding for the Puffins' burrow.
- Beach Rescue - A baby seagull gets trapped in fishing line.
- Lost Berries - Mossy needs to collect berries for the Shrew Crew.
- Night Lights - Oona makes a trip to the sea at night.
- Pond Life - Oona has to keep Baba clean.
- Bird Detective - Oona learns about seagulls' behavior.
- Bernie's Shell - Oona and Silky find Bernie a new shell.
- Hop, Skip and Bump - May teaches Oona how to hop "like the experts."
- Bouncing Back - Oona and Silky have trouble finding a game that they both enjoy.
- A Noisy Neighbor - A noisy starling bird keeps Oona awake.
- Stormy Weather - During a storm, Oona and Baba are stuck on a cliff.
- Rock Music - Oona practices singing with her mother.
- Baba's Adventure - Baba finds his way home, with the help of his friends.
- The Burrow Race - Oona and May race each other to discover who is fastest.
- Silky's Slide - After a storm, Silky is left stranded at sea.
- Ruffled Feathers - Oona, Baba, and Otto search for a white egret.
- Finding Bernie - Oona and Silky help Bernie get home safely.
- The Foggy Day - Mossy and the Shrew Crew help Oona and Baba find their way home in the fog.
- Run, Flap, Fly - Oona learns a new skill.
- Follow the Puffin - Oona is put in charge of the Shrew Crew.
- Spot the Puffin - Oona feels self-conscious about her multicolored beak.
- The Sad Whale - Oona and Silky must find a whale's family.
- The Fast Day - Oona and Baba try to keep up with a speedy moth.
- Baba's Friend - Baba befriends a green caterpillar.
- Flying High - Oona and Otto practice flying.
- Silky's Seahorses - Silky finds seahorses in the rock pool.
- Keeping Cosy - Mossy learns how to keep warm on a cold day.
- Baba's Picnic - Baba and Mossy set up a picnic for their friends.
- Cave Camping - The Puffin family visits an underwater cave.
- The Empty Shell - The red crabs are put in danger.
- Three's a Crowd - Pip feels left out of Baba and Pop's activities.
- Mossy Goes Solo - Mossy leaves the Shrew Crew.
- Flooded Burrow - The Puffins must stay with May after their burrow floods.
- Daytime Sleepover - Oona and Baba sleep at Otto's home.
- Back to the Pond - The Puffin family guide a friendly frog to the pond.
- The Fallen Rocks - Oona and her pals help free a trapped Bernie.
- Homesick Hoglet - Baba and baby hedgehog Spiky go exploring.
- Silky and the Octopus - Oona and Silky have an octopus adventure!
- The Salmon Leap - Otto tries to get his siblings to fall asleep.
- The Great Gull - Oona and Baba protect a baby seagull from the Great Gull.
- Baba-sitting - It's spring and Baba wants to wake Spiky from his winter nap!
- The Puffin Way - Oona learns about the slow and steady "Puffin Way."
- Bernie and the Bee - Baba and Oona rescue a tired bee.
- Find the Owls - Otto and the puffins search for the hidden Pip and Pop.
- Mossy's Flea - Mossy's flea pal Fred peps up a playdate.
- Dinner at Bernie's - Oona helps Bernie prepare for a special dinner.
- The Dung Beetle - Oona and Baba help a poop-rolling dung beetle build a nest.
- Oona's Fishing Trip - On a windy day, Papa and Oona go fishing.
- Spot the Ladybird - Baba, May, and Mossy look for ladybirds.
- The Best Shell - When Baba takes Bernie's favorite shell, Oona helps him return it.
- The Meteor Shower - The kids enjoy a shooting star show.
- The Dragonfly Display - Baba has a close call during a dragonfly hunt.
- Silky's New Friend - Silky introduces the gang to her new pal, a clever clam.
- The First Snow - The kids enjoy their first snowfall.
- Oona's Cave - Silky and Mossy help Oona practice burrow building.
- Just Like Mama - Oona discovers the many ways she's just like Mama.
- Diving Deeper - At diving practice, Oona gets a special lesson from Silky.
- A Day Out - Papa takes the family on a fun day out.
- Owl School - Baba and Oona join Pip and Pop for Otto's "big owl" lessons.
- A Hot Day - On a hot day, Oona worries that Flynne may be in trouble.
- A Summer Visitor - Oona makes a new forever pal.
- Lamb Chase - Oona and Baba help a lost lamb.
- Mossy Impossible - When Oona becomes tangled up in debris, Mossy jumps into action!
- A Special Seashell - Oona looks for shiny shells to cheer up a sick Baba.
- Turtle Taxi - Bernie rides a turtle for a daring sea rescue.
- New Neighbors - The Great Gull steals the seagulls' nests, but clever Oona has a plan.
- Rainbow - The kids race to catch a rainbow.
- Puffin Treasure - Mama treats Baba to a treasure hunt.
- Mossy's Mystery - The shrews' berries are under threat, but Mossy is on the case!
- The Longest Day - The kids gather to watch a special sunrise.
- House Hunting - Bernie searches for a new shell for Bernadette.
- Super Snail - Oona and May help Baba find his snail pal.
- Day and Night - Can the owls stay awake to watch the solar eclipse?
|Award||Date of ceremony||Category||Recipient(s)||Result||Ref(s)|
|Kidscreen Awards||February 9, 2016||Best New Series, preschool||Won|||
|Best Animated Series, preschool||Won|
|Annie Awards||February 4, 2017||Best Animated Television/Broadcast Production For Preschool Children||Puffin Rock - The First Snow - Episode: 59||Nominated|||
|Outstanding Achievement, Production Design in an Animated TV/Broadcast Production||Lily Bernard for The First Snow - Episode: 59||Nominated|
|Outstanding Achievement, Writing in an Animated TV/Broadcast Production||Davey Moore for The First Snow - Episode: 59||Nominated|
|International Emmy Kids Awards||April 10, 2018||Best preschool program||Won|||
- "Northern Ireland's Puffin Rock". Culture Northern Ireland. Retrieved 26 July 2015.
- "Cartoon Saloon's 'Puffin Rock' Lands on Nick Jr". Animation Magazine. Retrieved 26 July 2015.
- Multiplatform, Children's TV Online. "Puffin Rock - ABC KIDS". www.abc.net.au. Retrieved 2016-11-15.
- "Netflix picks up Irish-based animation 'Puffin Rock'". The Irish Times.
- "Chris O'Dowd". IMDb. Retrieved 26 July 2015.
- "Kate McCafferty". IMDb. Retrieved 26 July 2015.
- "Sally McDaid". IMDb. Retrieved 26 July 2015.
- "Geraldine Cole". IMDb. Retrieved 22 August 2019.
- "Darragh Gargan". IMDb. Retrieved 26 July 2015.
- "Anna McDaid". IMDb. Retrieved 26 July 2015.
- "Laura McCallan". IMDb. Retrieved 26 July 2015.
- "Brenn Doherty". IMDb. Retrieved 26 July 2015.
- "The 2016 Kidscreen Awards winners are…". February 9, 2016. Retrieved 2019-03-27.
- Milligan, Mercedes (2016-02-09). "Kidscreen Awards Winners Announced". Animation Magazine. Retrieved 2019-03-27.
- "44th Annie Award Nominees". International Animated Film Society. November 28, 2016. Retrieved November 29, 2016.
- "Puffin Rock Keeps on Rockin' with an Emmy Nomination!". Animation Ireland. 2017-11-13. Retrieved 2019-03-27.
- Roxborough, Scott (October 16, 2017). "MIPCOM: Nominations for International Emmy Kids Span 16 Countries". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2019-03-27.