Pukar (2000 film)
|Directed by||Rajkumar Santoshi|
|Produced by||Surinder Kapoor
|Screenplay by||Rajkumar Santoshi
|Story by||Rajkumar Santoshi|
|Music by||A. R. Rahman|
Chota K. Naidu
|Edited by||V. N. Mayekar|
|Distributed by||Eros International
|4 February 2000|
Pukar (English: Call) is a Hindi action drama film co written and directed by Rajkumar Santoshi and starring Anil Kapoor, Madhuri Dixit, Namrata Shirodkar, Danny Denzongpa and Om Puri. The film was critically acclaimed but did average business at the box office. It won two National Film Awards, including the Nargis Dutt Award for Best Feature Film on National Integration and the National Film Award for Best Actor for Anil Kapoor's performance. The score and soundtrack were composed by A. R. Rahman.
Major Jaidev Rajvansh (Anil Kapoor) and his fellow officer manage to rescue a leading politician as well as capture his kidnapper, Abhrush (Danny Denzongpa). The terrorist has been wanted for years and he is finally captured by the two officers. Jai returns to a joyous welcome and is declared a national hero. He takes a break from the army and returns to his hometown. There he meets his childhood friend Anjali (Madhuri Dixit) who has always harboured love for Jai. Anjali wants to make most of Jai's holiday and tries to get close to him and spend time with him as much as she can.
At a party, he meets the then Miss India, Pooja Mallapa (Namrata Shirodkar). As they spend more time together, they begin to fall in love. In the mean time, Jai's parents are arranging his marriage to Anjali but when they find out about Jai's love for Pooja, they realise that they have to tell Anjali everything. Anjali, heartbroken and jealous wants revenge as Jai rejected her. Realising her frustration with Jai, Abrush takes advantage (via the said "kidnapped" politician who is hand in glove with Abrush) and together they plot to destroy Jai's reputation and life.
Anjali manages to steal certain important secret documents detailing plans for Abrush's movement from prison to prison. The following events lead to Jai being court martialed and he is declared a traitor to the country. Pooja leaves him alone due to family pressure. Jai, determined to prove his innocence and redeem himself, decides to pursue Abrush alone. Ultimately Anjali comes to her senses and realises her mistake. To atone for it, she single-handedly tries to thwart Abhrush's plans and help Jai prove his innocence. Jai overpowers Abhrush. Finally Jai expresses his love for Anjali and forgives her and both unite.
- Anil Kapoor as Major Jaidev Rajvansh
- Madhuri Dixit as Anjali
- Sudhir Joshi as Anjali's Father
- Namrata Shirodkar as Pooja Mallapa
- Om Puri as Colonel Hussein
- Danny Denzongpa as Abhrush
- Kulbhushan Kharbanda
- Shivaji Satam as Col. Rana
- Farida Jalal as Gayetri Rajvansh
- Rohini Hattangadi as Mrs. Mallapa (Pooja's Mother)
- Girish Karnad as Mr. Rajvansh
- Govind Namdeo as Mr. Mishra
- Anjan Srivastava as Tiwari (Mishra's Assistant)
- Mukesh Rishi as Bakshi, Abhrush Assistant
- Yashpal Sharma as Major Katar Singh
- K.D Chandran
- Viju Khote as Dayanand Awasthi
- Neeraj Vora
- Prabhu Deva as Himself in song, "Kay Sera Sera"
- Lata Mangeshkar as Herself in song, "Ek Tu Hi Bharosa"
|Soundtrack album by A. R. Rahman|
|Recorded||Panchathan Record Inn|
|A. R. Rahman chronology|
- The song "Kay Sera Sera", was a remake of Rahman's own song "Kadhal Nayagara" from a Tamil movie En Swasa Kaatre. The lyrics of that song and the title is from Que Sera, Sera (Whatever Will Be, Will Be) sung by actress Doris Day for the 1956 Alfred Hitchcock film, The Man Who Knew Too Much.
- Rahman reused the song "Oh Bosnia" as "Ek Tu Hi Bharosa". The song was composed and performed by Rahman in his Malaysian concert in 1996 that was in aid of Bosnian victims. The piano was played by Rahman himself.
- Hai Jaana has two parts within' the film version and soundtrack version.
- The song "Sunta Hai Mera Khuda" was shot at Arches National Park in Utah, United States.
- The song " Kismat Se Tum Humko Mile Ho" was shot at Glacier Bay National Park in Alaska, United States.
|Track #||Song||Artist(s)||Picturised on||Length|
|1||"Kay Sera Sera"||Shankar Mahadevan, Kavita Krishnamurthy, Chorus, Swarnalatha||Prabhu Deva & Madhuri Dixit||06:51|
|2||"Sunta Hai Mera Khuda"||Udit Narayan, Kavita Krishnamurthy & Swarnalatha||Anil Kapoor, Namrata Shirodkar & Madhuri Dixit||06:36|
|3||"Humrahi Jab Ho Mastana"||Udit Narayan & Hema Sardesai||Anil Kapoor & Namrata Shirodkar||04:26|
|4||"Hai Jaana - 1"||Sujatha||Madhuri Dixit||04:18|
|5||"Kismat Se Tum"||Sonu Nigam & Anuradha Paudwal||Anil Kapoor & Madhuri Dixit||06:20|
|6||"Ek Tu Hi Bharosa"||Lata Mangeshkar||Lata Mangeshkar (herself)||06:29|