Lake Querococha and Mount Pucaraju (center-left)
|Elevation||5,346 m (17,539 ft)|
|Parent range||Cordillera Blanca|
|First ascent||1-1967 via S.face: N.W. ridge-1973.|
Pucaraju (possibly from Quechua puka red, rahu snow, ice, mountain with snow, "red snow-covered mountain") is a mountain in the Cordillera Blanca in the Andes of Peru, about 5,346 metres (17,539 ft) high or 5,322 metres (17,461 ft) high depending on the source. It is situated in the Ancash Region, Recuay Province, Ticapampa District. Pucaraju lies west of Yanamarey and northeast of Lake Querococha.
The IGN-Peru map, cites the main peak as Tunsho, while applying the name Pucarajo to the southern slopes.
- Jill Neate, Mountaineering in the Andes, RGS-IBG Expedition Advisory Centre, 2nd edition, May 1994: "Yanamarey Group: Pucaraju 5346m: 1-1967 via S.face: N.W. ridge-1973."
- Alpenvereinskarte 0/3b. Cordillera Blanca Süd (Peru). 1:100 000. Oesterreichischer Alpenverein. 2005. ISBN 3-937530-05-3.
- Teofilo Laime Ajacopa, Diccionario Bilingüe Iskay simipi yuyayk'ancha, La Paz, 2007 (Quechua-Spanish dictionary)
- escale.minedu.gob.pe - UGEL map of the Yungas Province (Ancash Region) showing the location of Pucarahu (unnamed) northeast of the mountain labelled "Cerro Pucaraju" and northeast of the lake Qiruqucha
- Peru 1:100 000, Recuay (20-i). IGN (Instituto Geográfico Nacional - Perú).
|This Ancash Region geography article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|