Puketiro Wind Farm
|Puketiro Wind Farm|
The Puketiro Wind Farm is a renewable energy project being developed by the Greater Wellington Regional Council on Puketiro Forest land owned by the council near Pauatahanui, north of Wellington, New Zealand. After a tender process in 2006, RES NZ Ltd was selected to develop the project.
It is planned for approximately 40 wind turbines with a capacity of up to 130 MW.
Wide public consultation was undertaken during early development of the project. 1300 submissions were received, with over 90% in favour. Nonetheless, a group of residents (Pauatahanui Futures Society Inc.) sought an injunction in May 2008 to stop the wind farm from proceeding. The Greater Wellington Regional Council has since withdrawn permission for the three turbines that were to be installed in Battle Hill Farm Forest Park, and banned all turbines from the park.
- "Puketiro wind farm development". Greater Wellington Regional Council. Sep 2007.
- "Puketiro Wind Farm". RES. Retrieved 15 January 2009.
- Kopp, Michael (13 May 2008). "Residents seek injunction to halt Puketiro wind farm". Dominion Post.
- "Puketiro wind farm proposal changed". Greater Wellington Regional Council. 29 September 2008. Archived from the original on October 14, 2008. Retrieved 6 February 2009.
- Williamson, Kerry (23 January 2009). "Wind turbine ban for Battle Hill". Dominion Post.