Pulled Apart by Horses
Pulled Apart By Horses
Pulled Apart by Horses live in 2008.
|Genres||Indie rock, alternative rock, post-hardcore, stoner rock, experimental rock|
|Labels||Transgressive, Big Scary Monsters, On the Bone Records, Dance to the Radio, Sony RED, A Remarkable Idea|
|Associated acts||Benson Taylor, Concentration Champ, Mother Vulpine, It Takes Bridges, Monster Killed by Laser|
|Past members||Lee Vincent|
In 2009, they were signed by Transgressive Records and released their debut self-titled album Pulled Apart by Horses on 21 June 2010. In August 2011, the band went into Monnow Valley Studio in Wales to record with record producer Gil Norton, and their second album Tough Love was released to critical acclaim on 20 January 2012.
In September 2014 the band's third album Blood became their first top 40, entering the UK Albums Chart at number 38. In 2016, Pulled Apart by Horses recorded a take over for Annie Mac and the BBC's Radio 1 in the United Kingdom.
Pulled Apart By Horses formed after Lee Vincent (Concentration Champ) was contacted by James Brown over a music forum. He was looking to start a The Jesus Lizard style band in Leeds. They went on to rehearse as a three piece with Robert Lee being invited to play Bass at a practice studio on the outskirts of Leeds city centre. Lead singer Tom Hudson's old band Mother Vulpine (in which he played bass) broke up and after the other three members completed a few rehearsals they then invited Tom Hudson to provide vocals and they then began writing as a 4-piece.
It is believed no material was recorded as the band performing as a 3-piece. After their formation in early 2008, the band regularly rehearsed above 'The Packhorse' pub in Leeds which was also where they performed their first secret show to a full house of attendees who had been invited by text message at the Packhorse in Leeds on 12 February 2008.
The band then began touring in 2008 and soon received notable attention from the press and media due to their live performances and soon began to gain a quickly growing fan base. They also began to be known for their very frantic live performances during which band members have been known to be injured. On 17 May 2008, when headlining Nastyfest IX in Leeds to a packed audience, a chaotic and injury stricken performance took place leading to guitarist James Brown being sent to hospital with a gash to the head. In 2009 the band went on to constantly tour for one year before the release of the debut album playing larger shows supporting Blood Red Shoes, Future of the Left, The Bronx, Rolo Tomassi, Glassjaw and Anti Flag.
2010 saw the release of the first record and the band headlining two full UK & European tours and more supporting tours with the likes of Biffy Clyro & Foals, and then in 2010 supported Muse at Manchester County Cricket Ground.
When the second record Tough Love was released in 2011 the band then went out to play a headline tour in the UK & Europe to support the record from February to April which included a sold-out show in London at the Electric Ballroom. Later in 2012 the band announced a full UK tour for November which was then announced as being pulled from the band's website due to 'unforeseen circumstances'  but it is believed the band was concentrating on their third record.
"Meat Balloon" 7" Vinyl Single - 2008 (Big Scary Monsters)
The band's debut single, "Meat Balloon", was released via Big Scary Monsters Recording Company in October 2008. It debuted at No. 18 on the UK Indie Singles chart. The limited edition 7" single came with a free CD and comic, created by the band's singer, Tom Hudson.
"I Punched A Lion In The Throat" 7" Vinyl Single - 2009 (Too Pure Singles Club)
In January 2009, PABH released their single "I Punched A Lion In The Throat" on Too Pure/Beggars on 7" vinyl, with b-side "The Crapsons". The song was also made available as a free download on the band's official website.
Tour Traxx / EP Compact Disc - 2009 (Self-release)
Once the band became busy with frequent touring in the UK and Europe they self-released 500 copies a 5 track CD which was only available at shows whilst they were securing a record deal. A second run off 500 were made in early 2010 prior to their debut record release.
Live at Leeds LP 12" Vinyl- 2010 (Transgressive)
On 21 March, Transgressive Records announced the release of a strictly limited 12" vinyl release titled 'Live At Leeds' to be released on Record Store Day (17 April) in the UK. The record would appear to borrow the idea from The Who classic album with artwork and packaging being similar. The 'Live at Leeds' album is available to download from the band's official website.
- Pulled Apart By Horses - 2010 (Transgressive)
- Tough Love - 2012 (Transgressive)
- Blood - 2014 (Sony)
Their critically acclaimed third album Blood was released on 1 September 2014, after receiving a wave of notable reviews, the record entered the UK Albums Chart at 38.
- The Haze - 2017 (Caroline International)
The fourth studio album The Haze was released 17 March 2017, this record saw the band return to their roots and enter the Albums Chart at 12.
The band have begun recording their fifth studio album, but no details have been revealed of its release so far.
- Tom Hudson – lead vocals, rhythm guitar (2008–present)
- James Brown – lead guitar (2008–present)
- Robert John Lee – bass guitar, backing vocals (2008–present)
- Tommy Davidson – drums, percussion (2015–present)
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|Pulled Apart by Horses||—|
|"—" denotes album that did not chart or was not released|
|2008||"Meat Balloon / Super Hang-on"||Non-Album Track|
|2009||"I Punched A Lion In The Throat / The Crapsons"|
|2010||"Back To The Fuck Yeah"||Pulled Apart By Horses|
|"High Five, Swan Dive, Nose Dive"|
|2011||"I Punched A Lion In The Throat" (re-release)|
|"Bromance Ain't Dead"|
|2017||"The Big What If"||Haze|
- On The Bone Vol.2 (2008) (On The Bone Records)
- Tour Traxx (2009)
- Live At Leeds 12" Vinyl (2010)
- Pulled Apart By Horses/Holy State (2009)
- DTTR 4x12" Vol 1 (2009)
- Pulled Apart By Horses/Blood Red Shoes (2013)
- "Meat Balloon" (2009)
- "Back to the Fuck Yeah" (2010)
- "High Five, Swan Dive, Nose Dive" (2010)
- "Yeah Buddy" (2010)
- "I Punched a Lion in the Throat" (2011)
- "V.E.N.O.M." (2011)
- "Wolf Hand" (2012)
- "Bromance Ain't Dead" (2012)
- "Epic Myth" (2012)
- "Hot Squash" (2014)
- "Lizard Baby" (2014)
- "Medium Rare" (2014)
- "Grim Deal" (2015)
- "The Big What If" (2016)
- "Hotel Motivation" (2016)
- "Is This Thing On?" (2019)
- "Thekla: Pulled Apart By Horses - Thekla". Web.archive.org. 18 January 2017. Retrieved 21 September 2020.
- "Pulled Apart By Horses: 'Muse Asked Us To Support Them On UK Tour'". Gigwise.com. 17 August 2010. Retrieved 31 May 2020.
- "ROYAL BLOOD SLIP TO NUMBER 2 AS LONELY THE BRAVE AND PULLED APART BY HORSES HIT TOP 40 ALBUMS CHART". DIY. Retrieved 7 September 2014.
- "BBC Sounds - Categories - Mixes". Bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 31 May 2020.
- "Pulled Apart By Horses announce new album 'The Haze'". Diymag.com. Retrieved 31 May 2020.
- "Pulled Apart By Horses Announce New Album 'The Haze', Out 3/17". BroadwayWorld.com. Retrieved 31 May 2020.
- Lowe, Chris. "Pulled Apart by Horses | Interviews & Features | 2008". Leedsmusicscene.net. Retrieved 24 July 2013.
- "Pulled Apart by Horses". Pulled Apart by Horses. 26 October 2012. Archived from the original on 15 May 2013. Retrieved 24 July 2013.
- "Pulled Apart by Horses". Pulled Apart by Horses. Retrieved 24 July 2013.
- "Pulled Apart By Horses: 'Muse Asked Us To Support Them On UK Tour'". Gigwise.com. 17 August 2010. Retrieved 24 July 2013.
- "Buy Pulled Apart By Horses - Tough Love online at Play.com and read reviews. Free delivery to UK and Europe!". Play.com. 23 January 2012. Retrieved 24 July 2013.
- Horses, Pulled Apart By (8 October 2018). "It's that time again #pabh5 pic.twitter.com/2bYvcdzI5a". Teitter.com. Retrieved 5 March 2019.