|Born||1952 (age 64–65)
Uttar Pradesh, India
|Title||Principal Secretary to Prime Minister of India|
|Term||October 3, 2011 - May, 2014|
Pulok Chatterji (born 1952) is an Indian civil servant who served as Principal Secretary to the Prime Minister of India, Manmohan Singh, from 2011 to 2014. and formerly served as Executive Director to the World Bank and Joint Secretary at the Prime Minister's Office from 2004 to 2009.
Early life and education
By 1981, he was aged 32 and Collector of Sultanpur in UP. He moved to the PMO as Deputy Secretary when Rajiv Gandhi took over as PM in 1985. He worked at the Rajiv Gandhi Foundation and as Officer on Special Duty to Sonia Gandhi.
In 2004, when United Progressive Alliance came to power, he returned to PMO serving as Joint Secretary to Government of India before being promoted as Secretary to Government of India.
In 2012, he was awarded the C.F. Andrews Distinguished Alumni Award by the St. Stephen's College, Delhi.
Controversies and allegations
File notings available with India Today show that Pulok Chatterji, a senior official in the PMO in 2007-08, was fully aware of A. Raja's dubious decision-making in 2G spectrum scam. In this note, Chatterji basically agrees that spectrum can be allotted on payment of normal fees -- the existing usual fee of Rs 1,658 crore -- which is what the nine licensees forked out for a pan-Indian footprint.
As Joint Secretary in the PMO, Chatterji wrote a note on December 3, 2004, favouring Kalmadi's appointment citing the host city contract and precedent of the 1982 Asian Games. Chatterji's note said Kalmadi should head the OC, but recommended caveats to address concerns raised by then sports minister Sunil Dutt.
In 2013, several reports state that he was responsible for tampering of the CBI coalgate report.
- "India Today High and Mighty power list 2013: Top 10 officials -". India Today. 2013. Retrieved 2014-05-14.
- "Nair appointed advisor to PM, Pulok Chatterji as Principal Secretary". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 28 July 2011.
- "Pulok Chatterji is principal secretary to PM, Nair adviser". The Times Of India. 29 July 2011.
- "Pulok Chatterjee, close Sonia associate, joins PMO as Principal Secy". Indian Express. October 3, 2011. Retrieved 2014-05-14.
- "Profiles: Pulok Chatterjee". Outlook. April 23, 2007. Retrieved 2014-05-14.
- Sandeep Bamzai (19 August 2011). "Family Choice: Pulok Chatterji tainted by scams before taking over as principal secretary to PM". India Today. Retrieved 15 October 2011.
- PMO set to get a direct line as Chatterji’s access to 10 Janpath to alter power balance
- [Clash of egos: Cab Sec opposes MoS rank for Pulok Chatterji Cabinet Secretary opposes MoS rank for Pulok Chatterji]
- Pulok Chatterji to turn Prime Ministers Office paperless
- Pulok Chatterji oversaw Sonia’s Sloan Kettering move