This article possibly contains original research. (February 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Union territory||Jammu and Kashmir|
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Total||1,398 km2 (540 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,630 m (5,350 ft)|
|• Rank||4th in State|
|• Density||550/km2 (1,400/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Sex ratio||913 ♀/♂|
|Distance from Shopian||23 kilometres (14 mi)|
|Distance from Srinagar||25 kilometres (16 mi)|
Pulwama is a city and a notified area council in Pulwama district, in India’s northern state of Jammu and Kashmir. It is the 4th largest city in Kashmir division and the 6th largest city in state. It is almost 25 km (16 mi) from the summer capital of Srinagar. Pulwama is often called the "Anand of Kashmir", meaning the delight of Kashmir in Sanskrit, but also the "Dudha-Kul of Kashmir" (the milk). The place is also known for the 2019 Pulwama terrorist attack, which claimed the lives of 40 Indian soldiers in 2019.
Pulwama is located at  It has an average elevation of 1,630 m (5,350 ft)..
Pulwama is home to various educational institutions including
According to 2011 Census of India, Pulwama has a population of 765000 of which 10,070 are males while 8,370 are females. Population of Children with age of 0-6 is 3167 which is 17.17 % of total population of Pulwama. Female Sex Ratio is of 831 against state average of 889. Moreover Child Sex Ratio in Pulwama is around 718 compared to Jammu and Kashmir state average of 862. Literacy rate of Pulwama city is 74.18 % higher than state average of 67.16 %.
Majority of the population follows Islam, which consist of 94.59% of total population of town. Other minority religions are Hindu 4.63%, Sikh 0.34%, Christianity 0.17%, Buddhism 0.02% and Jains are 0.01%. 0.24% people not stated their religion.
Other cities and towns
- Sharma, Neeta (15 February 2019). "Terrorist Lived 10 km From Site Where He Killed 40 Soldiers In Kashmir". NDTV. Archived from the original on 15 February 2019. Retrieved 15 February 2019.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Pulwama
- Government Degree College Tral
- Government Degree College Pampore
- Government Womens Degree college Pulwama
- Government Degree College Awantipora
- Government Degree College Rajpora
The students at Government Degree College in Pulwama, another southern town, were online again in 30 seconds.
- "Pulwama Population Census 2011 - 2019". census2011.co.in. Retrieved 17 February 2019.