Pumpin' Up the Party
|"Pumpin' Up the Party"|
|Song by Hannah Montana|
|from the album Hannah Montana|
|Released||October 24, 2006|
|Genre||Teen pop, dance-pop|
"Pumpin' Up the Party" is a pop song by American recording artist and actress Miley Cyrus. She is performing as Hannah Montana – the alter ego of Miley Stewart, a character she played on the Disney Channel television series Hannah Montana. "Pumpin' Up the Party" was written and produced by Jaime Houston. The song was released to Radio Disney as promotion for the series and its first soundtrack, Hannah Montana. The song has teen pop and dance-pop influences.
In the United States, the song peaked at number eighty-one on the Billboard Hot 100 and within the top seventy on the Pop 100. Its appearance on the Billboard Hot 100 made Cyrus the first act to have six songs debut on the chart in the same week. A music video for "Pumpin' Up the Party" was taken from footage of a concert performance. Cyrus, dressed as Hannah Montana, performed the song during the Best of Both Worlds Tour (2007–08).
Background and composition
Due to the success of several tracks he wrote for the High School Musical soundtrack (2006), Walt Disney Records representatives contacted songwriter Jamie Houston to propose work for Hannah Montana. Houston accepted the proposal and solely penned "Pumpin' Up the Party" for the series' first soundtrack. A karaoke version appears on Disney's Karaoke Series: Hannah Montana (2007), while a remixed version appears on Hits Remixed (2008). The song first premiered on Radio Disney in order to promote the series and soundtrack.
"Pumpin' Up the Party" is pop song that lasts three minutes and nine seconds. Heather Phares of Allmusic described the song as a groove that is influenced by teen pop and dance-pop genres. "Pumpin' Up the Party" is set in common time and has a moderately fast tempo of 150 beats per minute. It is written in the key of E major and Cyrus' vocals spans one octave, from A3 to B4. The song follows the chord progression of E–G–A–C–D–C–D.
Heather Phares of Allmusic disliked "Pumpin' Up the Party", saying it was a "slight stumble [...] that ends up going nowhere." She added that aside from the song, the Hannah Montana soundtrack did "a great job of showcasing [Cyrus'] charismatic vocals with strong melodies".
As it was not released as a single, "Pumpin' Up the Party" received exclusive airplay on Radio Disney, thus its chart appearances consisted mainly of digital downloads. Following the release of the Hannah Montana soundtrack, the song entered Billboard's Hot Digital Songs Chart at number forty-one, which led to an appearance on the Billboard Hot 100 on the week ending November 11, 2006. "Pumpin' Up the Party" debuted on the Billboard Hot 100 at its peak of eighty-one, thus becoming one of the songs to make Cyrus the first act to have six songs debut on the Billboard Hot 100 in the same week. It was also one of the seven songs to make Cyrus the female act with the most songs charting in the same week. Both records were later duplicated by Taylor Swift. It dropped from the chart in the succeeding week. The song also peaked at number sixty-two on the now-defunct Pop 100 Chart.
Cyrus, as Montana, first performed "Pumpin' Up the Party", accompanied by six other songs from the soundtrack, at the concert taping for the first season of Hannah Montana. Cyrus is costumed in pink-polka dotted, black pajamas and slippers as backup dancers also dress in sleepwear. Simulating a sleepover, the performance commenced with Cyrus singing from a bed, where she engaged in a pillow fight with backup dancers, and later stood up to perform around the stage. The performance was later released as the song's music video on Disney Channel. Cyrus also performed the song on twenty dates in the fall of 2006, when she opened for the Cheetah Girls' 2006 and 2007 concert tour The Party's Just Begun Tour. On March 28, 2007, Cyrus appeared as Hannah Montana and performed the song for Hannah Montana: Live in London at Koko. "Pumpin' Up the Party" was part of the set list for her first headlining tour, the Best of Both Worlds Tour (2007–08). She performed the song at each venue during the tour, in character as Hannah Montana and wearing a pink sequined mini-dress and fuchsia tights to perform alongside numerous backup dancers.
At Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom, beginning in February 2009, a version of the song has been used as the opening number and theme of the parade & dance party Move It! Shake It! Celebrate It!.
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||81|
|U.S. Pop 100||62|
- "Amazon.com: Pumpin' Up the Party: Hannah Montana: MP3 Downloads". Amazon.com. Retrieved June 15, 2010.
- Burger, David (October 31, 2008). "Burger with Relish: Pop culture and music". The Salt Lake Tribune. MediaNews Group. Retrieved June 18, 2010.
- Hannah Montana liner notes [CD] Walt Disney Records (2006).
- "Disney's Karaoke Series: Hannah Montana". Walt Disney Records. The Walt Disney Company. Retrieved May 18, 2010.
- "Walmart CD: Hannah Montana Hits Remixed (Wal-Mart Exclusive)". Walmart.com. Wal-Mart. Retrieved May 18, 2010.
- "Hannah Montana > Overview". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved May 18, 2010.
- "Digital sheet music - Hannah Montana - Pumpin' Up the Party". Musicnotes.com. Alfred Publishing.
- "Hannah Montana > Review". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved June 18, 2010.
- "Pumpin' Up the Party - Miley Cyrus". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. Retrieved June 18, 2010.
- "Hannah Montana - Pumpin' Up the Party - Music Charts". aCharts.us. Retrieved June 18, 2010.
- "Chart Beat". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. November 2, 2006. Retrieved May 18, 2010.
- Cohen, Jonathan (November 20, 2008). "Taylor Swift Notches Six Hot 100 Debuts". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. Retrieved July 28, 2010.
- "Hannah Montana > Charts & Awards > Billboard Singles". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved May 18, 2010.
- "Pumpin' Up the Party". Disney.com. The Walt Disney Company. Retrieved May 18, 2010.
- "Multi-Platinum Recording Artists The Cheetah Girls Launch 40-City Nationwide Concert Tour; ;;Hannah Montana's Miley Cyrus and High School Musical's Vanessa Anne Hudgens Slotted as Special Guests in Selected Cities" (Press release). Walt Disney Records. Retrieved May 18, 2010.
- Koranteng, Juliana (April 11, 2007). "Hannah Montana Concert Set For Int'l Roll Out". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. Retrieved June 18, 2010.
- Stevenson, Janie (December 15, 2007). "Young fans show Hannah Montana love". Canadian Online Explorer. Sun Media Corporation. Retrieved June 18, 2010.