Squash soup is a soup in African cuisine. It is a part of the cuisine of Northern Africa, and the cuisines of Mozambique and Namibia, both of which are located in Southern Africa. Squash soup is also served in other countries and is a part of other cuisines. Soup Joumou is traditionally consumed in Haiti on New Year's Day (January 1), as a historical tribute to Haitian independence in 1804.
Squash that has initially been separately roasted can be used in the soup's preparation. The roasting of squash can serve to concentrate the gourd's flavor. Squash soup can be prepared with chunks or pieces of squash and also with puréed squash. Pre-cooked, frozen squash can also be used, as can commercially prepared packets of pre-cooked frozen squash purée. Butternut squash soup may have a sweet flavor, due to the sugars present in the squash. Additional basic ingredients in squash soup's preparation can include broth, onion, cream, spices such as sage and thyme, salt and pepper. Pumpkin soup can be served hot or cold, and is a popular Thanksgiving dish in the United States.
- Long, L.M. (2016). Ethnic American Cooking: Recipes for Living in a New World. Rowman & Littlefield Publishers. p. 203. ISBN 978-1-4422-6734-3.
- Soup. DK Publishing. 2009. p. 176. ISBN 978-0-7566-6549-4.
- Garratt, N. (2013). Mango and Mint: Arabian, Indian, and North African Inspired Vegan Cuisine. Tofu Hound Press. PM Press. p. 46. ISBN 978-1-60486-323-9.
- Vos, H. (2010). Passion of a Foodie - An International Kitchen Companion. Strategic Book Publishing & Rights Agency (SBPRA). p. 446. ISBN 978-1-934925-63-8.
- Hultman, T.; Service, Africa News (1986). The Africa News cookbook: African cooking for Western kitchens. Cookbook Series. Penguin. p. 21.
- All-Time Best Soups. America's Test Kitchen. 2016. p. 126. ISBN 978-1-940352-80-0. Retrieved September 22, 2016.
- Bittman, Mark (1997-10-15). "The Minimalist; A Pumpkin Soup for Fall: It's Almost Too Easy". The New York Times. Retrieved 2008-10-23.
- Hensperger, B.; Kaufmann, J. (2007). Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Recipes for Two. Not Your Mother's. Harvard Common Press. p. 26. ISBN 978-1-55832-341-4.
- Stone, M. (2014). The Slow Cooker Soup Cookbook: Easy Slow-Cooker Soup Recipes. Soup Cookbook. Martha Stone. p. 9. ISBN 978-1-310-48947-1.
- "Pumpkin Soup". Mahalo.com. Archived from the original on October 21, 2008. Retrieved 2008-10-23.
- "American Classic IX: Pumpkin Pie". Good Eats.
- Maurer, Harry (1998). Strange Ground: An Oral History of Americans in Vietnam, 1945–1975. Da Capo Press. p. 415. ISBN 978-0-306-80839-5.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pumpkin soups.|