Punjab University College of Information Technology
|Center for Computer Science|
|Motto||ملکی ترقی میں پیش پیش
(Mulki taraqi main pesh pesh)
Motto in English
|Leading the Nation in IT Education|
|President||Dr. Syed Mansoor Sarwar|
|Vice-Chancellor||Dr. Mujahid Kamran|
|Location||Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan|
|Colors||Sky blue and white|
Punjab University College of Information Technology (PUCIT) is a college of computer science and information technology at the University of the Punjab located in Lahore, Pakistan. The college is located on the university's Allama Iqbal Campus (Old Campus) in Bahawalpur house near old Anarkali and PUCIT New Campus is located on Sayed Qabeer Ali Shah road, Canal Road Lahore and near the Hanjarwal stop in Canal Road
The college was established with the name Center for Computer Science in 1988. It was situated in the Center for Solid State Physics on the University of the Punjab's new campus. The first program offered was a year-long, two-semester postgraduate diploma for which 24 students were registered. This program was offered until 2000.
In 1991 the Center for Computer Science was upgraded to the Department of Computer Science and for the first time a full-fledged two-year MSc program (annual system) in computer science was offered. The first ever intake for the program was 15 students, which eventually increased to 30.
In December 2000, the department was upgraded to a full-fledged college under the new name of the Punjab University College of Information Technology.
- Dr Syed Mansoor Sarwar, Professor and Principal
- Dr Waqar ul Quonain Jaffry, Assistant Professor, Coordinator MPhil and PhD Programs
- Tariq Butt, Assistant Professor, Coordinator BS Computer Science
- Fareed ul Hassan Baig, Assistant Professor, Coordinator BS Software Engineering
- Dr. Faisal Bukhari, Assistant Professor, Coordinator BS Software Engineering (new campus)
- Dr Shahzad Sarwar, Assistant Professor, Coordinator BS Information Technology
- Muhammad Adeel Nisar, Assistant Professor, Coordinator M.Sc Information Technology
- Syed Muhammad Jawad Nawaz, Senior Network Administrator
- Asim Rasul, Examination Coordinator
- Ejaz Ashraf, Project Office Coordinator
- Sheikh Tariq Saeed, Senior Librarian
- Mehwish Khurshid, Student Affairs Coordinator
- Adnan Asif, Acting Assistant Treasurer
- Muhammad Azhar, PS to Principal
- Syed Aamir Raza, Program Coordinator Officer
- Saleem Akhtar, Estate Officer
- Rukhsana Kausar, Admin
- 15 October 2000: Dr Shoaib, first principal, for three months
- 18 January 2001: Dr Majid Naeem
- 10 April 2002: Dr Javaid Sikander Mirza for five months
- 25 October 2002: Dr. M. A. Pasha
- April 2006 to present: Professor Dr. Syed Mansoor Sarwar
The following degree programs are offered by the College:
- BS Computer Science (BS CS) Hons.
- BS Information Technology (BS IT) Hons.
- BS Software Engineering (BS SE) Hons.
- M.Sc Computer Science (M.Sc CS) with the following final year specializations:
- Computer Science
- Software Engineering
- Information Systems
- Computer Networks
- M.Phil Computer Science (M.Phil CS)
- M.Phil Remote Sensing and Geographical Information Systems (M.Phil RSGIS)
- PhD Computer Science (PhD CS)
- PUCIT ACM Student Chapter(PASC)
- Sports Society
- Girls Society
- Literary Society
- Event Management Society
- Computer Society
- Drama Society (Pindaal)
The college has a library consisting of books from Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Technology, Electronics, and Physics. Novels and poetry books are kept in the library for recreation. The library keeps copies of final projects and theses written by graduating students. The Higher Education Commission provides digital access to digital books to students of the college.
The college has four computer laboratories providing students access to the internet. A total of 800 plus computers along with internet facilities are available for the students. For postgraduate students, a separate laboratory is present while an electronics laboratory is made for electronics and physics purposes.
- ZABVISION - first in the All Pakistan On-spot Programming Competition
- SOFTEC - third in the 9th All Pakistan SOFTEC' 04 - held at NUCES, Lahore
- SOFTEC - Stood 3rd in the All Asia Programming Competition - held at NUCES, Lahore - Team (Zaheer Ahmad, Muhammad Rizwan Asghar, Fayyaz Khan Lodhi)
- NASCON - first in the All Pakistan Programming Competition - held at NUCES, Islamabad - Team (Sohaib, Shahzad and others)
- IEEE-LUMS Coding Guru - first in the coding competition - held at Lahore University of Management Sciences - Team (Sohaib, Shahzad and others)
- BACSAP - 1st in All Pakistan Programming Competition - held at Bahria University, Islamabad - Team (Rana Afzaal Ahmad, Qasim Zeeshan and Abdul Wahab)
- BACSAP - first in All Pakistan Electrical Project - held at Bahria University, Islamabad
- NUSTEC - second in Drama Competition - held at NUST ISLAMABAD
- APEEC - second in the All Pakistan Electronics Exhibition and Competition 10 and 11 May - held at University of Engineering & Technology Lahore- Team (Farhan Masood and Mohsin Saeed)
- TECHNOFEST - first in All Pakistan Programming Competition - held at University of Engineering & Technology Lahore
- TECHNOFEST - second in All Pakistan Programming Competition - held at University of Engineering & Technology Lahore
- BRAINIAC - second in All Pakistan Programming Competition - held at University of Engineering & Technology Lahore
- First Position in CodeMaster IEEE '14.
- Runners-up in SOFTEC '14 Programming Competition.
- Third Position in APTA '14 GCU Lahore.
- Punjab Youth Festival - 3rd in " Conceptualize Your Notion " Competition - held at Punjab Youth Festival 2014
- Punjab Youth Festival - 2nd in " General Knowledge Quiz " Competition - held at Punjab Youth Festival 2014
- Punjab Youth Festival - 2nd in "Android Game Development" Competition - held at Punjab Youth Festival 2014 - Team (Usman Abasi, Aamish Baloch)
- First PhD Computer Science Graduated
- First in Intra Lahore CODE SPREE programming competition in Punjab University College of Information Technology
- Second in the All Pakistan NASTEC programming competition in NUST ISLAMABAD
- Third in the All Pakistan English debating competition
- A PUCIT student was selected among the top eight speakers in the "Student Convention"
- A PUCIT student was selected among the top three articles writers in a National article writing competition held by The News
- Students from Cs-F09 and CS-F11 were awarded the Global UGRAD-Pakistan fellowship in a nationwide competition organized by U.S. State Department and had been to United States for one semester non-degree study as an exchange student.