Punta Gorda Middle School
|Punta Gorda Middle School|
New school post Hurricane Charley
|825 Carmalita Street
Punta Gorda, FL 33950
|Faculty||52.0 (on FTE basis)|
|Enrollment||1,039 (as of 2005-06)|
|Student to teacher ratio||20.0|
Punta Gorda Middle School was built in 1971 with an initial enrolment of less than 500 students in grades 7 to 9. As of 2006, PGMS had an enrolment of 1046 for students in grades 6 to 8. When Donna E. di Grazia became principal in 1993, she established an academic program with a strong focus on reading, math, and technology. Di Grazi retired in December 2006 and Assistant Principal Cathy Corsaletti was promoted to take over.
Since the 2000-2001 school year, PGMS has yearly earned an "A" grade in state testing.
Hurricane destruction and rebuilding
Punta Gorda Middle School was destroyed by Hurricane Charley on August 13, 2004, and from August 30, 2004, students were bussed to Murdock Middle School, where they attended classes from 8 a.m. to 1:10 p.m. and Murdock students attended from 2 to 7:10 p.m. In February 2005, students returned to the PGMS grounds and a temporary modular school. A new three story structure was opened in 2008. The new school, designed by Harvard Jolly, and built by Ajax Building Corporation, is 172,111 square feet (15,989.6 m2) in size and can hold up to 1,197 students in 53 classrooms. The project cost $37,580,474, which was covered by money received from the Federal Emergency Management Agency. The cafeteria, gym, and classrooms are separate buildings with improved access security and able to withstand Level 3 hurricane winds of up to 110 mph. It is also designed to be able to house refugees in case of another hurricane. Students brought donations of books to help rebuild the school library which lost its entire collection.
- Punta Gorda Middle School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 26, 2007.
- "News Release—Ground Breaking Charlotte County Public Schools" (pdf). Charlotte County Public Schools. 2006-10-03. Retrieved 2007-12-23.[dead link]
- Scott, Anna (2006-12-01). "Educator wraps up 31-year career". Sarasota Herald-Tribune. Retrieved 2007-12-23.
- "School Accountability Report". Florida Department of Education. Archived from the original on 2011-07-26. Retrieved 2007-12-23.
- Dale, Kevin (2005-02-12). "Students take a shine to Punta Gorda Middle". Sarasota Herald-Tribune. Retrieved 2007-12-23.
- "Open house walk-through at PG Middle School today". The Charlotte Sun (a Sun Coast Media Group newspaper). 2008-05-27. Retrieved 2008-12-28.
- Lubbes, Sara (2006-03-29). "Board likes school plans". Sarasota Herald-Tribune. Retrieved 2007-12-23.
- Allen, Jenny Lee (2004-10-15). "Charley destroyed books, historical papers in Punta Gorda". Sarasota Herald-Tribune. Retrieved 2007-12-23.