Punta de las Figuras Light
Faro Punta de Las Figuras, c. 1898
|Location||Arroyo, Puerto Rico|
|Year first lit||1893|
|Construction||Brick and stone|
|Tower shape||Octagonal tower on dwelling|
|Markings / pattern||White with w/o lantern|
|Original lens||Fifth order Fresnel 1893|
Faro de Punta de las Figuras
|MPS||Lighthouse System of Puerto Rico TR|
|NRHP Reference #||81000687|
|Added to NRHP||October 22, 1981|
Punta de las Figuras Light (Spanish: Faro Punta de las Figuras) is an historic lighthouse located in Arroyo, Puerto Rico. It was first lit by the Spanish government in 1893. The light was relocated in 1938, and the structure was deactivated and abandoned. During World War II, the lighthouse was used as a lookout. After the U.S army abandoned the structure in 1963, the lighthouse was repeatedly vandalized. In 1969 the lens and lantern were destroyed.
The lighthouse was entered on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places in 1981. In 2003, the Puerto Rican government rehabilitated it at a cost of two million dollars. The lighthouse is located at the entrance of the "Balneario Punta Guilarte" beach resort managed by the Puerto Rico National Parks Company.
- "Historic Light Station Information and Photography: Puerto Rico". United States Coast Guard Historian's Office. Retrieved March 26, 2009.
- "Inventory of Historic Light Stations. National Park Service". Archived from the original on January 16, 2009. Retrieved March 26, 2009.
- Compañía de Parques Nacionales de Puerto Rico (July 2003), "Restaura Faro de Punta Figuras" [Restoring the Punta Figuras Lighthouse] (PDF), En Tu Ambiente (newsletter) (in Spanish), Archived from the original on October 18, 2007, retrieved March 26, 2009 .
- "Department of the Interior, National Park Service: National Register of Historic Places; Annual Listing of Historic Properties", 47 FR 4932 (February 2, 1982), at 4951.
- Summary sheet from the Puerto Rico State Historic Preservation Office (Spanish)
- National Register of Historic Places photographic file
- Lighthouse System of Puerto Rico TR, National Register of Historic Places cover documentation
|This article about a property in Puerto Rico on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Puerto Rican building or structure related topic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article relating to a United States lighthouse is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|