The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for web content. (November 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Type of site
|Launched||1999(as Field Reports)|
The site was sold in August 2017 and the new owners dropped the discussion boards from the site. They also changed the site's policy to allow male and transgender service providers to advertise and be reviewed (previously this was limited to female escorts only).
The site has been met with criticism, most notably in 2009 from Harriet Harman. Harman, who was the UK government's Minister for Women and Equality at the time, asked then-California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger to ban the website, given that it was based in California. The web owners thanked Harman for increasing web traffic to their site.
In 2013, Trishna Datta, a former outreach worker from Ilford, Essex, launched a petition to have the Punternet website taken down. She said the website lacked adequate safety measures to ensure details that could put sex workers in danger were not revealed. Additionally, she expressed concern that some of the sex workers reviewed on the site might be underage or victims of trafficking or sexual assault. Punternet commented that it would report underage prostitutes to the authorities, and that it encourages customers to report underage prostitutes and victims of trafficking to Crimestoppers UK.
- "A British author analyzes what traits men seek in prostitutes". 26 October 2011. Retrieved 16 February 2017.
- "More bang for your buck". The Economist. 2014-08-09. Retrieved 2015-09-26.
- "STRIP ADVISOR: Brit sex addicts leaving escort reviews on site even Arnie couldn't kill". 1 May 2016. Retrieved 16 February 2017.
- "Invisible subjects: the men who fuel the demand for prostitution". Retrieved 16 February 2017.
- "Change of Ownership". Punternet UK. August 2017. Retrieved 12 November 2017.
- Ambrogi, Stefano (2009-10-01). "Schwarzenegger asked to close prostitute Website". Reuters. Retrieved 2013-11-26.
- "Terminate degrading site - Harman". BBC. 2009-09-30. Retrieved 2019-01-15.
- "PunterNet thanks Harriet for massive upswing". The Register. Retrieved 2013-11-26.
- "Solicitor General takes fresh pop at PunterNet". Register. Retrieved 2013-11-26.
- Taylor, Jerome (2009-10-02). "Punter Net prostitutes thank Harriet Harman for publicity boost". London: The Independent. Retrieved 2013-11-26.
- Martine Berg Olsen (4 October 2018). "There's a vile website that lets people review prostitutes and 'victims of trafficking'". Metro.
- Ellena Cruse (3 October 2018). "'Prostitute Tripadvisor': Campaign to close down website in which punters rate and review Ilford, Goodmayes and South Woodford sex workers". Ilford Recorder.
|This article about a pornographic website is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|