|Directed by||Ranjith Sankar|
|Written by||Ranjith Sankar|
|Screenplay by||Ranjith Sankar
|Edited by||Lijo Paul|
Dreams N Beyond
|Distributed by||Central Pictures|
|29 November 2013|
Punyalan Agarbattis is a 2013 Malayalam satirical comedy film written, co-produced and directed by Ranjith Sankar, starring Jayasurya, Nyla Usha, Aju Varghese, Rachana Narayanankutty, Innocent and Sreejith Ravi. The film follows the tale of the young entrepreneur Joy Thakkolkaran (Jayasurya) and his business venture "Punyalan Agarbattis" in the city of Thrissur.
The story revolves around Joy Thakkolkaran (Jayasurya), a young entrepreneur from Thrissur. His new business venture 'Punyalan Agarbattis' involves manufacturing Incense of India from elephant dung. Joy's friend cum operation manager of Punyalan Agarbattis, Greenu Sharma (Aju Varghese) also supports Joy whenever needed. Once after the Thrissur Pooram, they both decide to improve Punyalan Agarbattis and make it famous worldwide. To get some property from his rich grandfather (Innocent), he decides to get his grandfather married to Gracy (Thesni Khan). Joy is married to Anu (Nyla Usha).
Because of shortage of elephant dung, he goes to Thrissur Elephant Owner's Association and asks them for some elephant dung. He tells them that this business of incense sticks, would give him a big profit and all. They are almost ready to give it but a man, Kaattalan Jose (Jayaraj Warrier), who was Joy's first business partner, tells the truth that Joy tried to cheat him once through the business of Kattalan Rickshaws and he made thousands of rickshaws. But since they were of no use, he had to sell all of them for less than half of its expense. Since they trusted Jose, the elephant owner's association refused to give elephant dung to Joy. Joy becomes depressed.
Joy files a case against the devasom board demanding for elephant dung. The court decides in favor of Joy and demands Devasom Board to give elephant dung to Joy before 4th of that month. Joy is overjoyed. However, he cannot take dung from Devasom Board because of a hartal.
Still, he risks it and goes early in the morning and picks up the dung. As Joy and Greenu along with their driver Abhay traverse through Puzhakkal, they see a blockade of protesters.... Joy risks it and they shoot through the blockade ... resulting in some minor blows to the vehicle and some of the dung falling out on the road. The group finally reaches the factory ... but the protesters break open and vandalize the entire area ... injuring Joy, Greenu and Abhay in the process. They are admitted in the hospital when Joy's lawyer suggests on registering a case against the RIP (Revolutionary Independent Party), the party whose workers carried out the hartal.
Joy registers a case against the party claiming a remuneration of Rs 1 crore (Rs 10 million) for material damage of private property. The case is set for a hearing and the party is infuriated. As Joey tries to collect incriminating evidence against the party members to win the case, they try to make him withdraw the case. Joy incriminates K C Mathews in an immoral trafficking case humiliating him but the news is buried by the latter bribing the media. Joy, desperate for a win holds his own hartal citing the reasons as K C Mathews' "Lady Love Case" for which he ends up in jail.
He is bailed out by the RIP Party leader and his debts paid off on the condition that he stand for the election as an Rip candidate. Joy accepts and the film forwards five years at the funeral of K. C. Mathews. Joy has won the elections and his wife is pregnant indicating that he has a bank balance above 1 crore.
- Jayasurya as Joy Thakkolkaran
- Aju Varghese as Greenu Sharma
- Nyla Usha as Anu Joy
- Sreejith Ravi as Abhayakumar
- Innocent as John Thakkolkaran, Joy's grandfather
- Rachana Narayanankutty as Advocate Sai
- T. G. Ravi as Achyuthan Maash, a social worker
- Idavela Babu as K C Mathews
- Mala Aravindan as Ayyappan
- Sunil Sukhada as Judge
- Shivaji Guruvayoor as Hassan Marakkar
- Jayaraj Warrier as Kaattalan Jose
- Advt. Sabu as Idivettu Sabu
- Thesni Khan as Gracy
- Ponnamma Babu as Usha
- Irshad as Amal
- Vinod Kovoor as Pappan
- Sudheer Karamana as Kollur Jayaprakash
|Soundtrack album to Punyalan Agarbattis by Bijibal|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|1||Poorangalude Pooram||P. Jayachandran|
|3||Esho Parayunna||Arun Alat|
- Deepa Gauri (26 December 2013). "The best of Malayalam cinema in 2013". Khaleej Times.
- "Nyla Usha is the heroine in 'Punyalan Agarbattis'!". Sify.com. 8 July 2013. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- Gayathry (12 July 2013). "Jayasurya-Nyla in Punyalan Agarbattis - Oneindia Entertainment". Entertainment.oneindia.in. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- "Innocent in Punyalan Agarbattis". The Times Of India. 28 July 2013. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- "Innocent in Punyalan Agarbattis - Malayalam Movie News". Indiaglitz.com. 31 July 2013. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- "Jayasurya starrer 'Punyalan Agarbattis' starts today". Metromatinee.com. 17 August 2013. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- "Punyalan Agarbattis to begin its shoot !". Indiamovies.Net. 13 August 2013. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- Gayathry (1 August 2013). "Jayasurya To Sing In Punyalan Agarbattis - Oneindia Entertainment". Entertainment.oneindia.in. Retrieved 29 November 2013.