|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Purasai, Purasawakkam, purasaiwalkam
|• Body||Chennai Corporation|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Civic agency||Chennai Corporation|
Purasawakkam (Tamil: புரசைவாக்கம்), also known as Purasaiwakkam or Purasai, is a residential area and shopping district in Chennai in the state of Tamil Nadu, India. It is close to the Chennai Central and Egmore railway stations. Purasawakkam is considered a perfect mixture of commercial and residential hub.
The name "Purasai" came from the name of a tree called 'purasai maram' in Tamil. In olden days this area was abundant with these trees.Also,there were lot of stables at once in an age which was referred as "puravi"in tamil,puravivakkam later termed as purasaiwakkam. The Gangadiswar. temple near the Purasawalkam tank speaks about this history. The tank belongs to this temple.
The Gangadiswara temple is very famous temple for ages. Here the Shiva Lingam which is situated at mulasthanam has a unique feature of wetness throughout the year. Even in the drought condition and severe summer season the wetness near the Shiva Lingam is observed.
Abirami Mega Mall, one of the main attractions in Purasawalkam, is a Multiplex including four main cinemas and many shopping outlets. Tana Street, the heart of Purasawalkam, is one of the busiest streets in Chennai. It is famous for its jewelry, vegetables, Clay pot cooking and Pharmacies. It also features a busy grocery market. There are also many textile showrooms, including MadharSha, Deensha, Sree Krishna Collections, Textile India, Ranjanas, Rathna Stores and Saravana Stores Super Shopping Mall. The Dr. Ambedkar Government Law College's boys hostel is also situated here opposite to Motcham theater.
Popular Restaurants here include Hotel Hotel Saravana Bhavan, Akshaya The Tasty Veg. Restaurant, Raaj Bhavan, Hotel Welcome(Famous for its unique Sambar),Hotel Vasantha Bhavan, The Hot Chips, Doveton Cafe, Hotel Deccan, Hotel Paramount and Hotel Sanmaan along with an umpteen number of Biriyani shops. There are a significant number of wine shops in Purasawakkam.
Purasaiwakkam is a center of education in Chennai
- Hindustan Institute of Maritime Training(HIMT)
- Madras Veterinary College
- Madras Theological Seminary &College
- Lutheran Theological College
- Hindustan Bible College
- Chengalvaraya Polytechnic College
- Guru Shanthi Vijay Jain College for Women
- Government College of Fine Arts, Chennai
- Bhavan's Rajaji Vidyashram,
- J.M matriculation school
- Sindhi Model Senior Secondary School
- St.Joseph's Anglo Indian Boys Higher Secondary School
- St.Aloysius Anglo Indian Girls Hr.Sec School
- Sir MCTM Boys Hr.Sec. School
- Sir MCTM Girls Hr.Sec. School
- Kola Saraswathi Senior Secondary School
- Bentick Girls Hr.Sec. School
- St.Pauls Hr.Sec. School
- St. Matthias Anglo Indian Higher Secondary School
- CSI Bains Hr.Sec. School is study by white sri, Alagappa Hr.Sec. School is a good school
- Doveton Corrie Anglo-Indian Boys Hr.Sec. School
- Doveton Corrie Anglo-Indian Girls Hr.Sec. School
- Doveton Matric Hr. Sec School
- C.S.I Ewarts Girls Hr.Sec. School
- Anita Methodist Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- Sathya Matriculation School
- St.Andrews Boys Hr.Sec. School
- ELM Fabricus Hr.Sec. School
- St.Joseph's Girls Hr.Sec School
- St.Joseph's Primary School
- Raja Nursery School
- Corporation Girls School
- Corporation Boys School
- Sri Muthukuaramswamy Hr.Sec School
- T.E.L.C.Primary School
- Seventh-Day Adventist Matric. Hr.Sec School (Vepery)
Places of Worship
Purasai also contains a huge Lutheran church, Adaikalanathar Church, operated under the Tamil Evangelical Lutheran Church (TELC). Other churches include St. Joseph's Church (Vepery High Road near Periamet), St Andrew's church, St. Paul's Church, St. Mathias Church,CSI Missionary chapel, Emmanuel Methodist, Tamil Methodist, Apostolic Church and Apostolic Fellowship Tabernacle, Apostolic Christian Assembly which is the biggest congregation in Chennai.
Some of the famous Temples in this area are Gangadishwara Temple, Sumukha Vinayaka (Vandithoti Pilliyar) Temple, Karpaga Vinayaka Temple and Srinivasa Perumalu Temple in Vellala Street, Solai Amma Temple and Sri Purushadaniya Parshvnath Jain Temple , Sai baba temple (yemi Street)
Mosques here include Jumma Masjid, Periamet Mosque and PMWA mosque in Yemi street.
- "Multiplex Unique!". Chennai, India: The Hindu. 2007-11-18. Retrieved 2007-11-18.
- "List of Parliamentary and Assembly Constituencies" (PDF). Tamil Nadu. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2008-10-08.