Purcellville Train Station
Purcellville Train Station
Purcellville Train Station, August 2008
|Location||200 N 21st St, Purcellville, Virginia|
|Area||0.1 acres (0.040 ha)|
|Architectural style||board and batten vernacular|
|NRHP reference #||10000307|
|Added to NRHP||May 28, 2010|
|Designated VLR||March 18, 2010|
Purcellville Train Station is a historic railway station located in Purcellville, Loudoun County, Virginia. The station is adjacent to the Washington and Old Dominion Railroad Trail (W&OD Trail). The Southern Railway constructed the station in 1904. The station is a one-story, rectangular frame building with a hipped roof and deeply overhanging eaves supported by triangular knee braces. It was a station on the Washington and Old Dominion Railway and later, the Washington and Old Dominion Railroad from 1912 until the line closed in 1968, with passenger service ceasing in 1951.
The Purcellville Preservation Association restored the station in 2002. The town of Purcellville maintains the station as a public meeting facility and public restrooms, under the purview of the town's Train Station Steering & Oversight Committee. A Loudoun visitors center within the station contains a W&OD Railroad historical display and hosts wine-tasting events. The visitors center is open from noon to 4:00 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays from late April through October. The station was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on May 28, 2010.
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "Virginia Landmarks Register". Virginia Department of Historic Resources. Retrieved 5 June 2013.
- "286-5001-0233 Purcellville Train Station". Richmond, Virginia: Virginia Department of Historic Resources. 2018-04-04. Retrieved 2018-10-27. Archived 2018-10-27 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Purcellville Station". HMdb.org. The Historical Marker Database. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- Kalbian, Maral S; Peters, Margaret T. (2009-11-20). "National Register of Historic Places Registration Form (United States Department of the Interior: National Park Service): Purcellville Train Station" (PDF). Richmond, Virginia: Virginia Department of Historic Resources. Retrieved 2018-10-27. Archived 2018-10-27 at the Wayback Machine. and accompanying five photos
- "History of the Purcellville Preservation Association". Purcellville Preservation Association. Retrieved 2013-07-30. Archived 2013-10-20 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Train Station Steering & Oversight Committee". purcellvilleva.com. Town of Purcellville, Virginia. Archived from the original on 2012-04-06. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "Loudoun Visitors Center in Purcellville: Wine Tastings & Information". Loudoun Convention & Visitors Association (Visit Loudoun). 2016. Archived from the original on 2016-04-11.
- Director, National Park Service (2010-06-04). "Weekly list of actions taken on properties for the National Register of Historic Places: 5/24/10 through 5/28/10". U.S. Department of the Interior: National Park Service. Retrieved 2010-09-14.
|This article about a property in Loudoun County, Virginia on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Virginia train station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|