Purchase, New York
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Purchase, New York|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
Purchase, New York is a wealthy hamlet in the town of Harrison, in Westchester County. Its ZIP code is 10577. One myth explains that its name is derived from Harrison's purchase, where John Harrison was to be granted as much land as he could ride in one day. Purchase is home to State University of New York at Purchase and Manhattanville College.
In 1967, 200 residents stated support for a plan to incorporate Purchase so corporations could not build in the community. In response, officials from the Town of Harrison put forward plans to try to become a city in an attempt to stop Purchase from seceding from the Town of Harrison.
There are many historic sites located in Purchase. The grave of Revolutionary War General Thomas Thomas is located on the grounds of SUNY Purchase. The grounds that SUNY Purchase now occupies was once Strathglass Farms, a dairy farm. The Quaker Friends Meeting house was founded in the 18th century. The original building fell victim to fire years ago and the present one is an accurate reconstruction. Before the headquarters of Pepsi was built, the Blind Brook Polo Club was located on that site. Amelia Earhart would fly her plane from the polo grounds. Many colonial era homes and unspoiled natural woodlands have decreased in the last 30 years due to residential development. The Old Oaks Country Club, originally named 'Hill Crest', is a splendid mansion house built in the late 1880s by millionaire Trenor Luther Park and his wife Julia Catlin Park. Trenor Luther was a Harvard Graduate, who studied law, and a silk merchant. His father, Trenor William Park, funded the Panama Railway, ran for Vice President of the United States in 1864 and was involved with the California Gold Mines. Purchase is also known for being one of the richest areas in the country.
Economy and business
MasterCard's headquarters, MasterCard International Global Headquarters; PepsiCo; Atlas Air and its subsidiary Polar Air Cargo; and Central National-Gottesman are headquartered in Purchase. Pernod Ricard has offices in Purchase.
Purchase School is the local K–5 elementary school, which is part of the Harrison Central School District. Harrison High School is the local high school, which offers the IB Diploma Programme, and which is the only high school operated by the Harrison Central School District. Harrison High School also serves the entire area of the Town of Harrison, including the Village of Harrison, which is economically diverse. In 2010, Superintendent of the Harrison Central School District, Louis N. Wool was named Superintendent of the Year in New York State.
Keio Academy of New York, a Japanese international boarding school, is in Purchase.
Colleges and universities
Purchase is home to the State University of New York at Purchase and Manhattanville College, as well as the Westchester Campus of Fordham University, a private liberal arts college. Keio University also operates a high school named Keio Academy of New York.
Media and culture
Purchase is known for the Purchase Community House (PCH), home of the Purchase Day Camp (PDC). It also runs after-school activities during the rest of the year. On the PCH property, there are four pools and numerous playing fields.
During the 1980s, the city hosted the festival Pepsico Summerfare, known for their opera productions which included Benjamin Britten's Noye's Fludde (1981–4), David Eaton's The Cry of Clytaemnestra (1982), and Peter Sellars's Little Mahagonny/Cantata 60: Conversations with Fear and Hope After Death (1985), Peter Sellars's productions of Mozart's Così fan tutte (1986), Don Giovanni (1987) and Le nozze di Figaro (1988). Now, SUNY produces two operas each year.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (September 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- Eddy Curry
- James Badge Dale
- Mariano Rivera
- Indra Nooyi
- Isiah Thomas
- Joe Girardi
- Stephon Marbury
- Herman Tarnower, cardiologist, murdered by his jilted lover, Jean Harris
- Scott Shannon, radio disc jockey
- Scott Boras
- Sy Sternberg
- Sunny Hostin, legal analyst (media)
- "The Beginning of Harrison Purchase". Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- "200 Residents Back Plan to Incorporate Village of Purchase". The New York Times. April 4, 1967. Retrieved on February 2, 2011.
- Folsom, Merrill. "HARRISON MOVING TO BECOME A CITY; Town Acts to Thwart Effort by Purchase to Secede and Form Own Village". The New York Times. May 20, 1967. Page 37. Retrieved on February 2, 2011.
- Staff (2009-03-13). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "Contact Us". MasterCard. Retrieved on February 2, 2011. "MasterCard Advisors 2000 Purchase Street Purchase, NY 10577".
- "Harrison town, New York". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on January 18, 2010.
- "10577 5-Digit ZCTA, 105 3-Digit ZCTA". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on June 8, 2010.
- "Our 10 Most Beautiful Buildings". Westchester Magazine. November 17, 2010. Retrieved on February 1, 2011.
- "Investor Information". Atlas Air. Retrieved on August 6, 2011. "AAWW Investor Relations 2000 Westchester Avenue Purchase, NY 10577-2543"
- "Contact Us". Polar Air Cargo. Retrieved on February 13, 2011. "Atlas Air / Polar Air Cargo - Headquarters 2000 Westchester Avenue Purchase, NY 10577 USA"
- Pernod Ricard USA - Locations
- Hogan, Patrick. "Lenovo shifting U.S. headquarters to Morrisville, but will cut 300-350 Triangle jobs." Triangle Business Journal. Thursday March 16, 2006. Updated Friday March 17, 2006. p.1. Retrieved on October 12, 2012.
- "Purchase, New York 10577 Demographics - Household Income Statistics". CLRsearch. Retrieved 19 September 2014.
- Time Magazine. September 8, 2014. Missing or empty
- "Home". Harrisoncsd.org. Retrieved 2013-07-13.
- http://patch.com/new-york/harrison/superintendent-wool-wins-superintendent-of-the-year. Retrieved 2014-11-19. Missing or empty
- Purchase Community House and Day Camp
- Macy, Laura (ed.). "Purchase". Grove Music Online. Oxford Music Online. Oxford University Press. (subscription required)
- "Chicago Sports News, Schedules & Scores - chicagotribune.com". Chicagosports.chicagotribune.com. Retrieved 2013-07-13.
- http://www.purchasehouse.com/ Purchase Community House and Day Camp Official Website