|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2013)|
"Pure Imagination" is a song from the 1971 movie Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory. It was written by Leslie Bricusse and Anthony Newley specifically for the movie and does not appear in the original book by Roald Dahl or the 2005 film adaptation by Tim Burton. It was sung by Gene Wilder (Willy Wonka).
- In "Through the Loop" by British/Australian drum and bass band, Pendulum in the album Hold Your Colour.
- Michael Feinstein recorded a version of "Pure Imagination" for his 1992 children's album of the same name.
- Avant-garde guitarist Buckethead has covered the song several times, including versions on his debut album Bucketheadland in 1992, his second album Giant Robot in 1994, as well as performing it live.
- Soft rock singer Kenny Loggins covered the song in part of his song "Neverland Melody" in his 1994 album Return to Pooh Corner.
- In The Muppet Show Season One, Ben Vereen sings the song to a Muppet on a rooftop, accompanied by flying creatures.
- In 2005, MasterCard commissioned an upbeat, alternative-style version of the song for its television commercial "Candy Store." Although it was only 30 seconds long, this commercial jingle version has attracted a great deal of attention from listeners who tried to find out the musical group performing the jingle and purchase a copy of it, only to be told by MasterCard that "Unfortunately, there is no way to get a copy of this song."
- The tune served as the basis for Southwind Drum and Bugle Corps 2005 Program "Distorted Imagination".
- Pianist/keyboardist Bradley Joseph arranged a cover version of "Pure Imagination" on his 2005 album, For the Love of It.
- In 2007, Ferraby Lionheart recorded a cover version of the song that was included in his debut album, Catch the Brass Ring.
- The Blenders recorded a version in their signature vocal harmony style (not true a cappella for this track) mashed up with White Christmas.
- Mariah Carey covered "Pure Imagination" as an urban/R&B remix (B-side) with the remake of "I Still Believe."
- Comedian Russell Brand performed the song at the closing ceremony of the 2012 Summer Olympics in London.
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory the Musical covers Pure Imagination with Charlie singing with Wonka
- An orchestral version of the song was played at the 86th Academy Awards in 2014 after Lupita Nyong'o won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress.
- RedLetterMedia uses the song during their Plinkett Reviews. The character of Harry Plinkett regularly sings the song in a slow, disturbing manner, typically while dragging kidnapped women through his house or putting his cat in the microwave.
- Hat Films parodied the song in their video "Filfy Mods - More Explosives (Willy Wonka Tribute)" and titled the parody "Pure Incineration".
- Transcendental Mystic Jazz Rock band, The New Octaves cover the song occasionally at live performances.
- Primus covered "Pure Imagination" into their own psychedelic interpretation for their 2014 album, Primus & the Chocolate Factory with the Fungi Ensemble.
- Josh Groban covered the song for his 2015 album, Stages. He also performed the song on a YouTube video with violinist Lindsey Stirling and The Muppets.
- Karmin recorded a cover version of the song titled "Come With Me (Pure Imagination)" for their second studio album Leo Rising.
- Roberts, Randall (September 13, 2013). "Fiona Apple covers Willy Wonka in striking new Chipotle clip," Los Angeles Times. (Retrieved September 14, 2013).