Purnia (Vidhan Sabha constituency)
|Vidhan Sabha constituency|
|Lok Sabha constituency||12. Purnia|
|Electoral system||First past the post|
As per Delimitation of Parliamentary and Assembly constituencies Order, 2008, No 62. Purnia (Vidhan Sabha constituency) is composed of the following: Purnia East community development block including Purnia East nagar parishad. In Bihar Legislative Assembly election, 2015, Purnia will be one of the 36 seats to have VVPAT enabled electronic voting machines.
In the 2010, October 2005, February 2005 and 2000 state assembly elections, Raj Kishore Keshri of BJP won the Purnia seat defeating his nearest rival Ram Charitra Yadav of Congress. Contests in most years were multi cornered but only winners and runners are being mentioned. Ajit Sarkar of CPI(M) defeated Rajesh Ranjan of SP in 1995 and Ravindra Narayan Singh of JD in 1990, Kamaldeo Narayan Sinha of Congress in 1985 and Sharda Prasad Singh of Congress in 1980. Dev Nath Roy of JP defeated Kamal Deo Narayan Sinha of Congress in 1977.
- "Schedule – XIII of Constituencies Order, 2008 of Delimitation of Parliamentary and Assembly constituencies Order, 2008 of the Election Commission of India" (PDF). Schedule VI Bihar, Part A – Assembly constituencies, Part B – Parliamentary constituencies. Retrieved 2011-01-10.
- "36 Seats in Bihar to Have Electronic Voting Machines With Paper Trail Facility".
- "Poll-bound Bihar to get 36 EVMs with paper trail facility".
- "'Backstabbed' at home - Woman kills Purnea MLA in public". The Telegraph, 5 January 2011. Retrieved 2011-01-10. Pathak and Keshari had first met in 2006 when she had approached him for building a road near her school. In May last year, she levelled charges of sexual harassment and rape on Keshari. She had also lodged an FIR at Khajanchi police station, accusing the MLA and his aide, Vivek Rai, of continuous sexual harassment for over three years.
- "Bihar - Purnia". Bihar Assembly Elections Nov 2010 Results. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2011-01-10.
- "139 - Purnea Assembly Constituency". Partywise Comparison Since 1977. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2011-01-15.