|Origin||Chicago, Illinois, U.S.|
Anna St. Louis
Purple Mountains is an American indie rock band, formed in Chicago, Illinois by David Berman. The group debuted in May 2019, over a decade since the dissolution of Berman's previous group Silver Jews. The group consists of Berman with a backing band composed of Jeremy Earl and Jarvis Taveniere of Woods, Aaron Neveu and songwriter Anna St. Louis. The group's eponymous debut album was released in July 2019.
Berman returned to music in 2018, co-producing Yonatan Gat's critically acclaimed album Universalists. On December 12, 2018, former Pavement and Silver Jews member Bob Nastanovich revealed on his podcast Three Songs that David Berman would release new music in 2019 under the name Purple Mountains, which was also the name of Berman's blog.
On May 10, 2019, Berman released his first music in over a decade, a single entitled "All My Happiness Is Gone" on vinyl by Drag City, using the moniker Purple Mountains. The single included two remixes of the song, "All My Happiness Is Wrong" by Noah Count and "All My Happiness Is Long" by Mark Nevers featuring clipped recordings of Dave Cloud, and also indicated that a full-length album was a "couple months away." It also credited Berman, Jeremy Earl and Jarvis Taveniere of Woods, Aaron Neveu and songwriter Anna St. Louis as members of the band. The single was released digitally on May 17, 2019 with the announcement of a full-length album. The eponymous debut album, accompanied by a US tour, is scheduled for release on July 12, 2019. "Darkness and Cold" was released as the album's second single on June 11, 2019. "Margaritas at the Mall" was released as the album's third and final single on June 28, 2019.
A remix of "All My Happiness Is Gone" by Australian electronic music group The Avalanches, who Berman has collaborated with in the past, was commissioned by David Berman but a licensing issue prevented their version from being released.
- Purple Mountains (2019)
- "All My Happiness Is Gone" (2019)
- "Darkness and Cold" (2019)
- "Margaritas at the Mall" (2019)
- "Purple Mountains: Any Way You Hear It « American Songwriter". July 10, 2019.
- "Yonatan Gat Universalists Review on PopMatters". popmatters.com.
- "Yonatan Gat Interview for Relix". relix.com.
- "Silver Jews' David Berman To Launch New Band In 2019, Says Bob Nastanovich". December 12, 2018.
- Pitchfork article: "Silver Jews’ David Berman Returns With First New Music in 11 Years".
- "Purple Mountains - All My Happiness Is Gone". Discogs.
- "David Berman announces new album as Purple Mountains, shares "All My Happiness is Gone": Stream". May 17, 2019.
- "Silver Jews' David Berman to Release New Album in 2019 says Bob Nastanovich - Pitchfork". pitchfork.com. 12 December 2018.
- Minsker, Evan (May 17, 2019). "Silver Jews' David Berman Announces First New Album in 11 Years, Shares Song: Listen". Pitchfork. Retrieved May 21, 2019.
- "Hear "Darkness and Cold," a New Song From David Berman's Purple Mountains". June 11, 2019.
- "Purple Mountains – "Margaritas at the Mall"". June 28, 2019.
- "The Avalanches' Remix Of New Purple Mountains Single Held Up By Licensing Issue". July 10, 2019.
- "Purple Mountains - "All My Happiness is Gone" | Drag City". www.dragcity.com.