|Associated acts||Ipso Facto (band)|
Purson was a psychedelic rock band from London, England. Founded by Rosalie Cunningham. Purson formed after Cunningham disbanded her previous project Ipso Facto. They are signed with Spinefarm. Rosalie Cunningham describes the sound as "vaudeville carny psych".
The band name has its origins in demonology, in which Purson is one of the Kings of Hell. Cunningham wanted to name the band after a god. After not finding any god-like names that they liked, they searched in the names of demons or devils.
The band performed live in session for Marc Riley on BBC Radio 6 Music in January 2012  and again in March 2013 and December 2013, live from Maida Vale studios. During the show the band discussed plans to record a second album in 2014. Purson supported Kiss on their 2014 edition of the KISS Kruise  Purson have also performed alongside label mates Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats, Electric Wizard, Blood Ceremony, Comus, Pentagram as well as neo-psychedelia bands such as Toy and Temples.
Their first single Rocking Horse was released on 1 March 2012.
Purson's debut album titled The Circle and the Blue Door was released on 29 April 2013 to general and critical acclaim. The title was inspired by an ex-boyfriend who had a breakdown. The Circle and the Blue Door was something he talked about before he broke down. Spin called the album "an audacious entry into a current crop of retro-pop headbanger fare that should chill the marrow of fans". Virgin wrote "Long before the last track has played its final note you will already be planning your next visit to this dark yet enchanting musical world. 'The Circle & The Blue Door' is thoroughly addictive listening".
Purson toured the US extensively with Ghost on their Black to the Future US 2015 tour.
On April 21, 2017, Purson released the farewell single "Chocolate Money" and announced their split.
Awards and accolades
Purson were voted Best New Band and Best Debut Album of 2013 in Terrorizer magazine's yearly readers poll as well as ranking The Circle And The Blue Door 11th in their critics choice of the best albums of 2013. The Circle And The Blue Door ranked number 15 on Metal Hammer magazine's best 50 Albums 2013. Purson were also Nominated for Best New Band in Classic Rock's 2014 Rock Roll Of Honour held in Los Angeles  In 2015, they won the Vanguard award (for acts who deserve wider recognition) at the Progressive Music Awards in London.
- Rocking Horse/Twos and Ones (Rise Above), March 2012
- Leaning on a Bear/Let Bloom (Rise Above), February 2013
- The Contract/Blueprints of the Dream (Rise Above), September 2013
- Electric Landlady (Spinefarm), September 2015
- Chocolate Money (Spinefarm), April 2017
- Rocking Horse - EP (Rise Above), April 2012
- In the Meantime... (Machine Elf), November 2014
- The Circle and the Blue Door (Rise Above/Metal Blade), April 2013
- Desire's Magic Theatre (Spinefarm Records), April 2016
- "Singer Steven Wilson crowned prog rock king". BBC News. 4 September 2015. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- "7 Occult Rock Bands That Are Way Fucking Better Than Ghost". Retrieved 16 June 2018.
- "Purson Bio Metalblade Records". Metalblade. Retrieved 26 June 2013.
- "The Door To Domestic Bliss – An Interview With Purson | Ghost Cult Magazine". Ghost Cult Magazine. Retrieved 12 October 2015.
- "Rosalie Cunningham (Purson) | Interviews". www.dprp.net. Retrieved 12 October 2015.
- "Gothic Psychedelia Newcomers Purson Confirmed For Roadburn Festival 2012". Roadburn. Archived from the original on 30 November 2011. Retrieved 8 October 2012.
- "Marc Riley, Purson". BBC Radio 6 Music. 9 January 2012. Retrieved 8 October 2012.
- "Marc Riley, Purson". BBC Radio 6 Music. 12 March 2013. Retrieved 26 June 2013.
- "Kerrang - Purson "KISS Seem To Like Us". Kerrang. 11 July 2014. Retrieved 6 January 2015.
- "Evening Standard -Going Out". BBC Radio 6 Music. 12 March 2013. Retrieved 26 June 2013.
- "Support announced for Electric Wizard London show". Metalgigs.co.uk. Retrieved 8 October 2012.
- "Purson - Rocking Horse (Vinyl)". Discogs.com. 1 March 2012. Retrieved 8 October 2012.
- "Spin-The Circle And The Blue Door stream". Spin. 26 April 2013. Retrieved 26 June 2013.
- "Virgin-The Circle And The Blue Door album review". Virgin. 26 April 2013. Archived from the original on 20 May 2013. Retrieved 26 June 2013.
- "Terrorizer 2013 end of year polls". Terrorizer. 2 January 2013. Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- "Metal Hammer's Top 50 Albums Of 2013: 15-11". metalhammer. 2 January 2013. Archived from the original on 17 December 2013. Retrieved 17 December 2013.
- "Classic Rock Presents: Purson - Live In Los Angeles". Classic Rock. 30 August 2014. Retrieved 6 January 2015.