Jump to navigation Jump to search
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2020)
This article possibly contains original research. (October 2021)
|Region||North-Central (Bhojpuri region)|
Demand for separate state
- 1 June 2008: A separate state can ensure the security of borders as well as overall development in which the region is lagging far behind in comparison to western and central Uttar Pradesh, said Yogi Adityanath (then a BJP Member of Parliament from Gorakhpur; he became Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh in 2017).
- 8 July 2017: Union Minister Ramdas Athawale states his support for the division of the state for development of the region of the Bhojpuri-speaking population.
- 4 August 2018: Uttar Pradesh Minister Om Prakash Rajbhar demands separate statehood for Purvanchal, pushes for liquor ban.
- 19 September 2018: the Purvanchal State Movement got national exposure when Vandana Raghuwanshi, an activist of "Purvanchal Rajya Janandolan", set a state-run Volvo bus on fire as it was about to depart for Lucknow from Roadways Bus Station of Varanasi, in response to the central government’s indifference to Anuj Rahi Hindustani’s hunger strike, which was on its 35th day.
- "Division of UP: A reality check". Hindustan Times. HT Media Limited. 15 November 2011. Retrieved 2 January 2021.
- "Demand for separate states of Purvanchal, Bundelkhand". Outlook. 1 June 2008. Retrieved 2 January 2021.
- Dikshit, Rajeev (8 July 2017). "Athawale demands separate statehood for Purvanchal, Vidarbha". The Times of India. Bennett Coleman & Company Limited. Retrieved 2 January 2021.
- "UP Minister OP Rajbhar demands separate statehood for Purvanchal, pushes for liquor ban". Times Now News. Bennett Coleman & Company Limited. Retrieved 2 January 2021.
- "वाराणसी: वंदना रघुवंशी ने वॉल्वो एसी बस में लगाई आग". YouTube. Retrieved 24 August 2020.