This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
In recent years there has been a demand for a separate state, bifurcation from the state Uttar Pradesh. Purvanchal region in spite of being politically active fares poorly in HDI index and remains most underdeveloped region of India, with lack of industries and employment opportunities people flocking to metro cities of Delhi, Mumbai.
Demand for separate state
- 1947: In 1947, a convention on Bhojpuri language and literature was held in Siwan, Bihar. The demand for a separate Bhojpuri state was first made by Rahul Sankrityayan. Later, the issue of constitutional recognition of Bhojpuri came up when the constitution came into force. Rahul demanded for a separate Bhojpuri state by joining the Bhojpuri speaking regions of Bihar, United Provinces (now Uttar Pradesh) and Madhya Pradesh.
- 1968: The demand for a separate Bhojpuri state resurfaced in the late 1960s when the rightist organization of eastern India, Anand Marg took up the issue. The Anand Margis organized a conference at the largest cattle fair of Asia, Sonepur Mela in 1968 and raised the demand for a separate Bhojpuri province.
- 5 November 2006: Hundreds of Bhojpuri speaking people gathered in Bihar's Sasaram to demand creation of a separate state for those who speak the language. Meeting under the aegis of the 21st All India Bhojpuri Sahitya Sammelan they demanded the creation of a separate state and protection of the interests of the people speaking Bhojpuri.
- 1 June 2008: A separate state can ensure the security of borders as well as overall development in which the region is lagging far behind in comparison to western and central Uttar Pradesh, said Yogi Adityanath (then a BJP Member of Parliament from Gorakhpur; he became Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh in 2017).
- 16 July 2013: Members of Bhojpuriya Jila Yuva Morcha took out a procession in Bihar's Arrah demanding formation of a separate state for Bhojpuri speaking people and constitutional rights for Bhojpuri language and had taken to rail blockade near Purbi Gumti.
- 7 December 2013: People associated with the Bhojpuri Andolan held a two-day convention at Taraiya in Saran district under the banner of Saran Pramandal Bhojpuri Sahitya Sammelan and demanded a separate state for Bhojpuriyas consisting of the Bhojpuri speaking districts of Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh.
- 2015: Thousands of people gathered at Shastri Ghat near Varuna river in Varanasi for the establishment of Purvanchal state with Varanasi as its capital. In this, Suhaldev Bharatiya Samaj Party's national president Om Prakash Rajbhar said that the central and state government should stop giving false assurances. The movement has started from the revolutionary land of Varanasi, now it is not going to stop. The wheel of development has completely stopped in Purvanchal since independence.
- 30 March 2017: BJP MP from Sasaram, Bihar, Chhedi Paswan evoked the demand of separate Purvanchal state to boost development in the Bhojpuri areas. He said that the formation of Purvanchal state is mandatory by joining the Bhojpuri speaking areas of Bihar and Uttar Pradesh and Varanasi as its capital.
- 16 May 2017: Members of Purvanchal Rajya Jan Andolan Sanstha staged a train stop demonstration in Banaras demanding the creation of a new Purvanchal state. The agitators kept shouting slogans in support of Purvanchal state while stopping the train.
- 8 July 2017: Union Minister Ramdas Athawale states his support for the division of the state for development of the region of the Bhojpuri-speaking population.
- 4 August 2018: Uttar Pradesh Minister Om Prakash Rajbhar demands separate statehood for Purvanchal, pushes for liquor ban.
- 19 September 2018: the Purvanchal State Movement got national exposure when Vandana Raghuwanshi, an activist of "Purvanchal Rajya Janandolan", set a state-run Volvo bus on fire as it was about to depart for Lucknow from Roadways Bus Station of Varanasi, in response to the central government's indifference to Anuj Rahi Hindustani's hunger strike, which was on its 35th day.
- 11 March 2019: Rajkumar Ojha, convenor of the Purvanchal Rajya Gathan Morcha, started a three-day fast in the Collectorate premises of Jaunpur, demanding the creation of a separate Purvanchal state and formation of the State Reorganization Commission.
- 5 August 2021: Purvanchal Rajya Morcha officials raised the demand for separate Purvanchal state in Jaunpur, Uttar Pradesh.
- 18 December 2021: Twenty one thousand lamps were lit at Assi Ghat in Varanasi demanding a separate Purvanchal state.
- "'Will Demand Bifurcation of Uttar Pradesh and Maharashtra', Says MoS Ramdas Athawale, Raises Demand For Separate Purvanchal and Vidarbha | 🗳️ LatestLY". LatestLY. 24 September 2019. Retrieved 10 April 2023.
- Shukla, Ramdeo (19 July 2021). Smarananjali (in Hindi). Sarv Bhasha Trust. ISBN 978-93-90502-04-2.
- Śrī Nāgendra Prasāda Siṃha ke "Soca-vicāra" para bāta-vicāra (in Hindi). Loga Prakāśana. 1999.
- Journal of Historical Research. Department of History, Ranchi University. 2004.
- "Bhojpuri-speaking people demand separate state". DNA India. Retrieved 31 March 2023.
- "Demand for separate states of Purvanchal, Bundelkhand". Outlook. 1 June 2008. Retrieved 2 January 2021.
- "ट्रेन का किया चक्का जाम". Prabhat Khabar (in Hindi). Retrieved 1 April 2023.
- "Demand to carve Bhojpuri state gains momentum". The Times of India. 11 December 2013. ISSN 0971-8257. Retrieved 31 March 2023.
- "Demand for Purvanchal state".
- "पूर्वांचल बने राज्य, वाराणसी हो राजधानी : छेदी पासवान". Hindustan (in Hindi). Retrieved 6 April 2023.
- Vikrant (16 May 2017). "पूर्वांचल राज्य की मांग को लेकर काशी में आंदोलन, प्रदर्शनकारियो ने रोकी ट्रेन". hindi.oneindia.com (in Hindi). Retrieved 6 April 2023.
- Dikshit, Rajeev (8 July 2017). "Athawale demands separate statehood for Purvanchal, Vidarbha". The Times of India. Bennett Coleman & Company Limited. Retrieved 2 January 2021.
- "UP Minister OP Rajbhar demands separate statehood for Purvanchal, pushes for liquor ban". Times Now News. Bennett Coleman & Company Limited. Retrieved 2 January 2021.
- "वाराणसी: वंदना रघुवंशी ने वॉल्वो एसी बस में लगाई आग". Archived from the original on 12 December 2021. Retrieved 24 August 2020 – via YouTube.
- "अलग पूर्वांचल राज्य बनाने की मांग". Amar Ujala (in Hindi). Retrieved 2 April 2023.
- "पूर्वांचल राज्य मोर्चा के पदाधकारियों ने उठाई पृथक पूर्वांचल राज्य की मांग". संकल्प सवेरा || Sankalp Savera. 5 August 2021. Retrieved 3 April 2023.
- "Varanasi: अलग पूर्वांचल राज्य के लिए जलाए गए दीये से सुलग उठा अस्सी घाट, लपटें देख सहमे लोग". News18 हिंदी (in Hindi). 18 December 2021. Retrieved 2 April 2023.
- "What will happen if UP is split?". The Economic Times. Retrieved 25 October 2022.