||This article has an unclear citation style. Learn how and when to remove this template message) (April 2012) (|
Purwokerto Main Street
|• Total||38.58 km2 (14.90 sq mi)|
|Population (2010 Census)|
|• Density||6,100/km2 (16,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||WIB (UTC+7)|
- 1 Geography
- 2 History
- 3 Administrative of Purwokerto
- 4 Places of interest
- 5 Hotels Facilities
- 6 Malls and Shopping Center
- 7 Food
- 8 Medical facilities
- 9 Schools/Education
- 10 Notable People
- 11 List of Regent
- 12 See also
- 13 References
- 14 External links
Purwokerto is located near the base of Mount Slamet, the second-tallest volcano in Central Java. The city is bisected by the Kali Kranji (Kranji River). It lies near two major east-west roads, Jalan Sudirman and Jalan Gatot Subroto. Its geographic location is .
The history of Purwokerto as the capital of the Banyumas Regency is intertwined with the history of Banyumas itself. Banyumas was established in 1582 by Raden Joko Kahiman. He later became the came the first regent, Duke Mrapat.
The Sultanate of Pajang
Following the unintentional killing of Adipati Wirasaba VI in District Lowano (now Purworejo), Sultan Hadiwijaya summoned Joko Kahiman, the dead man's son in law. The Sultan made Kahiman "Adipati Wirasaba VII" (regent of Wirasaba) and divided the Wirasaba regency into four parts,
- Banjar region given to Kyai Ngabei Wirayuda
- Meden territory given to Kyai Ngabei Wirakusuma
- Wirasaba territory given to Kyai Ngabei Wargawijaya
- Kejawar territory was controlled by the Sultan himself. There, he opened the mangli forest and named the area "Banyumas".
The capital of the Kejawar territory was in Banyumas. After the flood of 1861, the capital was moved to Purwokerto, which was located about 18 km further north.
Administrative of Purwokerto
Purwokerto is used to be administratively equal to a "Administrative City" and now with special status as the capital of Banyumas Regency. And it also used to be has a Major (Walikotatif). Purwokerto consists of four municipalities/districts (kecamatan), each headed by a "Camat". The administrative municipalities of Purwokerto (and part of Banyumas Regency) are follow :
- South Purwokerto (Purwokerto Selatan), is the most populous town with a population of 80.891 people. Bulupitu's bus station and Taman Andang Pangrenan are here.
- East Purwokerto (Purwokerto Timur), with a population of 76.993 people. Main street ; Jl.Jendral Sudirman, includes the city's landscape Pendopo Kabupaten and aloon aloon.
- West Purwokerto (Purwokerto Barat), with a population of 69.547 people. Railway Station (Stasiun Besar Daop V Purwokerto) is here.
- North Purwokerto (Purwokerto Utara), with a population of 65.351 people. Bordered with main destination place "Baturraden district", many residences and Jendral Sudirman University (Unsoed) are here, including most of culinary places in the town.
If Purwokerto will become a autonomy city, now it has 292.782 people, will covering almost 98 km2 with 11 municipalities/kecamatan.
Purwokerto's nearest airport is the Tunggul Wulung airport in Cilacap township, approximately 40 km south of Purwokerto. Tunggul Wulung has direct flights (three times per week) from Halim Perdana Kusuma airport in Jakarta. The travel time from Jakarta to Cilacap is 45 minutes. Lately in 2016 Wirasaba (PWL) is planned for commercial flight service. The distance to the town is about 15 km only. Many news state which this airport will developed for commercial flight even Garuda Indonesia and Susi Air will serving this route to Jakarta. Additionally there's a new bridge has been built by 2 regencies between Banyumas and Purbalingga called Linggamas which supports it.
Purwokerto is a hub city connecting Cirebon to Jogjakarta. Train is one of the main modes of transport to Purwokerto. All classes of ticket, from economy to first class, are available for trips on trains from Jakarta, Bandung, Yogyakarta and Surabaya. The total journey from Jakarta is 6 hrs (first class) and 10 hrs (economy class). Soon in 2016 , is being built double track between Purwokerto and Kroya for about 25 km the distance. It will be easier also faster the trip between two station above. Double track from Jakarta to Purwokerto now is fully serviced and it takes 5 hours only for single trip. There are 2 new destinations serviced by new train ;
- Kamandaka services the potential passengers from Purwokerto, Bumiayu, Tegal to Semarang Tawang. There are 3 times trip for a single day.
- Joglokerto services the passengers from Purwokerto to Jogjakarta and ended in Solo
- Since February 2016, especially Purwojaya Train is available serving in all executive class (K-1)
Intercity buses connect Purwokerto to other cities on the island. The Purwokerto bus station is the third largest terminal in Central Java province after Terboyo (Semarang) and Tirtonadi (Surakarta). The Bulupitu's bus station services the passengers across the mainland to Bali/Lombok in the eastern also Banda Aceh (Sumatera) in the western. In 2016 wil planned BRT system (Bus Rapid Transportation) serving between Purbalingga to Purwokerto. For more facilities now is built "Traffic Park" or Taman Lalu Lintas Bulupitu whereas becomes an education park for public. This could be one of a little amount of additional bus station facilities in Indonesia. There is the first in Indonesia "Sleeper bus" serving Purbalingga/Purwokerto to Jakarta, which a new facility where the beds are available inside and just look like a hotel's facility.
Places of interest
Purwokerto's central public square, Indonesian: Alun-alun, has six banyan trees: a tree at each corner, and two in the center. The townsfolk often spend their leisure time in the shady square and it is a common place for children to play. Vendors in the square sell children's toys and local foods. On one side is the regional government building, Kabupaten. On the west side of the square is the Masjid Baitus Salam Mosque of Purwokerto. To the east is the old cemetery on Ragasemangsang Road.
Bank BRI Museum
Located in the city center, Bank BRI Museum was built and dedicated for the Bank BRI's founder, R.A. Wiriatmadja. Formerly named as De Purwakertosche Hulp-en Spaar Bank der Inlandsche Bestuur Ambtenaren in 1895, now Bank BRI is one of the largest bank in the nation, as well as the oldest in the nation. Displays a lot of collections of coin and money from the VOC era until present time.
Baturraden, located 15 km north of Purwokerto is an area of typical highland country at the foot of the Gunung Slamet volcano. It is a popular site for local tourism, with a children's playground, hot springs, trekking and camping. There are two natural hot springs at Baturraden, namely Pancuran Telu and Pancuran Pitu. The campground is called Wana Wisata. Some hotels, villas and budget hotels are available in Baturraden.
Parks & Public facilities
- Taman Andang Pangrenan, replacing ex old bus station, now is become a green park in the town
- Taman Bale Kemambang, another green park located in Jl.Karangkobar
There are many hotels available in Purwokerto and Baturraden as follow :
- Aston Imperium (****) located in strategic street between down town and Baturraden. Jl.Ovis/Dr.Angka/Suharso/Bunyamin with 12 floors.
- Horison Ultima (****) located in Jl. Dr. Angka , now is the best one city resort hotel in town and it's still in renovation. Now is managed by local management and replaced to new one "JAVA HERITAGE HOTEL" (***).
- Swisbell (****) is under construction and located in Rita Super Mall, is planned 20 floors.
- Santika (***) One of Kompas/Gramedia group,established from several years ago and become the pleasure place to stay in town (7 floors)
- Rossenda Cottage (****) located in Baturraden offering the mountain panorama.
- Atrium Resort (***) located in Jl Soepardjo Roestam Sokaraja
- Green Valley resort (***) located in northern Purwokerto , Baturraden
- Meotel (*) the new one hotel and it's opened July 2016
- Dominic (*) with 8 floors and service the good city panorama
- Wisata Niaga
- M Griya
- Grand Whiz (plan)
- Ibis (plan)
- COR Hotel (u/c) at Sudirman, replaced from Indosat Gallery 7 floors
- Serela by Kagum 6 floors is U/C
And many more
Malls and Shopping Center
Recently Purwokerto has a little shopping center in amount, but now is being built a new mall located in the southern of Alun-alun called RSM (Rita Super Mall) integrated with Swisbell Hotels **** and also soon is planned built PCC (Purwokerto City Center) where the location is ex Stasiun Timur (PJKA) a mix used complex ; mall, hotel, shop houses.
It can described for a several years later list of shopping centers (with the established) are follows :
- Moro Mall, now is under construction and renovation with the wider car parking is available
- Tamara Plaza, at Jl. Jend. Sudirman whereas it used to be a famous place to shop with Sri Ratu Dept. Store (moved) and it's planned replaced by Matahari Dept. Store
- Rita Pasar Raya at Sudirman
- Rita Kebondalem
- Rita Sudirman Barat
- Kebon Dalem shopping complex whereas the oldest one with Matahari Dept. Store. In rumor lately it will be re-built by a National Developer a new modern mall and condo-tel (comin soon Bondalem City 2 towers @ 20 floors with Amaris Hotel & Mall)
- Rita Super Mall (RSM) is under construction integrated with Swisbell Hotel (****) and will become the newest and modern mall in town with the famous brands tenants, cinema (CGV Blitz) etc.
- Purwokerto City Center (PCC) is planned built on ex Stasiun Timur, a mix used complex with mall includes new hotel and modern shop houses
- Pasar Wage is the biggest traditional and semi modern market in town and becomes a famous destination shopping for people of 5 regencies around
- Pasar Manis (now has been modern renovated and official published by President Mr. Jokowi few months ago ; #1 quarter of 2016) , Pasar Kliwon, Pasar Pon etc are traditional markets in town.
- Golden Square (plan) Ex Lapangan PORKA
The Purwokerto local food includes mendoan (fermented soy bean covered in wheat flour dough and deep fried), ranjem, nopia and mino (small nopia), tempeh keripik and many different kinds of chips. Gethuk goreng, made of cassava and Javanese sugar is also available. It is sold by various shops under various names. Also, in the morning, one may find a serabi seller on almost every corner of town. One Purwokerto delicacy is soto. It is also made in the nearby town of Sokaraja. Purwokerto soto is made from chicken while that from Sokaraja contains beef. Both are different from other sotos in Indonesia, because they are mixed with a spicy nut sambal. The most famous soto sokaraja seller in Sokaraja is "Soto Kecik", near the Buddha's monastery.
Beside the local traditional culinary mentioned above, there are many franchise's restaurants ; fast food especially have opened their branch here such as : KFC (now 2 outlets with 1 is Drive Thru and will open soon 2 new outlets in Rita Supermall and Moro). Moro Mall has a food court where we can eat any menus available from traditional and modern culinary. Bunto's Cafe locate in Jalan Sudirman where the international fast food with fully local taste are available too. Along at the Soeharso street /GOR there are so many restaurants and recently become as one of culinary destination in town beside at jalan Bunyamin/Baturaden
Purwokerto is a centre for medical care for the southern part of the Central Java Province. There are both public and private hospitals for both general and specialist care. They include:
- RSU Margono Soekarjo general hospital (Jenderal Soedirman University Teaching Hospital)
- RS Wijaya Kusuma ( aka. DKT ) hospital
- RS Santa Elisabeth hospital
- RS Islam hospital
- RS Hidayah hospital
- RS Bunda hospital
- RS Ananda hospital
- RS Geriatri hospital (gerontology)
- RS Orthopedi hospital (orthopaedics).
- Jenderal Soedirman University Dental Hospital
The main state run hospital is Margono Soekarjo general hospital which is located on the eastern edge of Purwokerto. Its name is commonly shortened to "RS Margono Soekarjo". It was named after the first surgeon in Indonesia. The surgeon was born in Purwokerto and his grave is found in Pesarean Kebutuh, Sokaraja Kulon.
Jenderal Soedirman University is the main university in Purwokerto. It is located on the town's northern outskirts. There are many universities and academies in Purwokerto which serve the southern part of central Java. They include:
- Universitas Jenderal Soedirman (UNSOED)
- Universitas Muhammadiyah Purwokerto
- Universitas Wijaya kusuma
- Sekolah Tinggi Agama Islam Negeri Purwokerto
- STT Telkom
- Sekolah Tinggi Ilmu Ekonomi Purwokerto
- Sekolah Tinggi Ilmu Ekonomi Satria
- Sekolah Tinggi Manajemen Informatika & Komputer Widya Utama
- Sekolah Tinggi Teknik Wiworotomo
- Akademi Kebidanan YLPP
- Akademi Kesehatan Lingkungan
- Akademi Manajemen Informatika & Komputer
- Akademi Pariwisata “Eka Sakti”
- Akademi Perawat Muhammadiyah
- Politeknik Pratama
- Tontowi Ahmad, badminton player
- Christian Hadinata, badminton player
- Purnomo, sprinter
- Meitri W Pangestika, swimming athlete
List of Regent
- R. Joko Kahiman, Adipati Warga Utama II (1582-1583)
- R. Ngabei Mertasura (1583-1600)
- R. Ngabei Mertasura II (Ngabei Kalidethuk) (1601 -1620)
- R. Ngabei Mertayuda I (Ngabei Bawang) (1620 – 1650)
- R. Tumenggung Mertayuda II (R.T. Seda Masjid, R.T. Yudanegara I) (1650 – 1705)
- R. Tumenggung Suradipura (1705 -1707)
- R. Tumenggung Yudanegara II (R.T. Seda Pendapa) (1707 -1743)
- R. Tumenggung Reksapraja (1742 -1749)
- R. Tumenggung Yudanegara III (1755)
- R. Tumenggung Yudanegara IV (1745 – 1780)
- R.T. Tejakusuma, Tumenggung Kemong (1780 -1788)
- R. Tumenggung Yudanegara V (1788 – 1816)
- R. Adipati Brotodiningrat (R.T. Martadireja) (1816 -1830)
- R.T. Martadireja II (1830 -1832)
- R. Adipati Cokronegara I (1832- 1864)
- R. Adipati Cokronegara II (1864 -1879)
- Kanjeng Pangeran Arya Martadireja II (1879 -1913)
- KPAA Gandasubrata (1913 – 1933)
- RAA. Sujiman Gandasubrata (1933 – 1950)
- R. Moh. Kabul Purwodireja (1950 – 1953)
- R. Budiman (1953 -1957)
- M. Mirun Prawiradireja (30 – 01 – 1957 / 15 – 12 – 1957)
- R. Bayi Nuntoro (15 – 12 – 1957 / 1960)
- R. Subagio (1960 -1966)
- Letkol Inf. Sukarno Agung (1966 -1971)
- Kol. Inf. Poedjadi Jaringbandayuda (1971 -1978)
- Kol. Inf. R.G. Rujito (1978 -1988)
- Kol. Inf. H. Djoko Sudantoko (1988 – 1998)
- Kol. Art. HM Aris Setiono, SH, S.IP (1998 – 2008)
- Drs. H. Mardjoko, M.M. (2008 – now)
- Ir. H. Achmad Husein (2014 - present)
- Purwokerto travel guide from Wikivoyage