Push It (Salt-n-Pepa song)
|Single by Salt-n-Pepa|
|from the album Hot, Cool & Vicious|
|B-side||"I Am Down"|
|Length||4:30 (album version)|
|Salt-n-Pepa singles chronology|
"Push It" is a song by the group Salt-n-Pepa. It was released as the B-side of the "Tramp" single in 1987, and as its own single in 1988. It peaked at #19 on the Billboard Hot 100 in early 1988 and, after initially peaking at #41 in the UK, it re-entered the charts after the group performed the track at Nelson Mandela's 70th Birthday concert, eventually peaking at #2 that summer. The song has also been certified Platinum by the RIAA. The song is ranked #446 on Rolling Stone 's list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time and was ranked #9 on VH1's 100 Greatest Songs of Hip Hop.
The original version of "Push It" was first released as the B-side to the 12" single "Tramp" in 1987. The corresponding 7" single contained a "Mixx-It" remix by San Francisco DJ and producer Cameron Paul; this was the radio version that gave the group its first mainstream hit. It advanced into the Billboard Top 40 the week of December 26, 1987, eventually reaching its peak of #19 the week of February 20, 1988. It also ties with "Let's Talk About Sex" as the group's highest-charting UK hit, with both peaking at #2 in that country.
The original 1986 editions of the album Hot, Cool & Vicious did not contain "Push It". When the Cameron Paul remix of "Push It" became a radio hit, the album was reissued with the "Push It" remix added, along with the original versions of "Tramp" and "Chick on the Side" replaced by remixes.
"Push It" was nominated for a Grammy Award, and the strength of that single catapulted the reissued Hot, Cool and Vicious album to platinum sales in the US with one million sold, making Salt-n-Pepa the first female rap act (group or solo) to go gold or platinum. The album ultimately sold 1.3 million copies worldwide.
- "Push It" - 4:12 - B-side of "Tramp" 12" single
- "Push It (Instrumental)" - 4:12 - B-side of "Tramp" 12" single
- "Push It (Mixx-It Remix)" - 4:28 - B-side of "Tramp" 7" single; also known as Album Version, Remix, 7" Remix, Full-Length Remix, Radio Edit
- "Push It (U.S. Remix)" - 3:29 - 1988 Europe/Australasia-only edited version of Mixx-It Remix
- "Push It (The Shuv'd Mix)" - 5:06 - 1988 UK-only remix; also known as UK Mix
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||9|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Wallonia)||1|
|Canada RPM Top Singles||7|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||9|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||1|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||4|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||6|
|United Kingdom (Official Charts Company)||2|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs||28|
|US Billboard Hot 100||19|
- Covered by electro-industrial band Numb on Operation Beatbox (Re-Constriction Records, 1996).
- Covered by eurodance band Solid Base on Express in 1999.
- Covered by René Dif as "Let It All Out (Push It)" in 2002
- Covered by British singer Harry in 2003 for a Rimmel commercial.
- Covered by Crunk&B trio Taurus in their song "Taurus Here" which also served as a tribute to Salt-N-Pepa.
- Covered by Australian Sophie Monk in 2007 for a push up bras promotion.
- Covered by Death metal band Ten Masked Men on the album Return of the Ten Masked Men.
- In 2008, on their Tangled Up Tour, the girl group Girls Aloud performed the song.
- Covered by the "Bud Band" in Budweiser's UK adverts in 2008.
- Covered in the episode "Showmance" of Glee by the Glee cast.
- Covered by Girls' Generation's Sooyoung, Hyoyeon and Yuri as part of the Girls' Generation 4th Tour - Phantasia in 2015.
Sampling and remixes
|This section does not cite any references (sources). (October 2013)|
- Remixed with The Stooges' "No Fun" by Belgian group 2 Many DJs, becoming what is one of their signature mashups.
- Remixed by American group, The Diplomats.
- Sampled and remixed for Taurus's "Taurus Here".
- Used as an excerpt for New Kids on the Block's "Step by Step" on their Live tour.
- Sampled for Timbaland's "The Way I Are".
- Destiny's Child's "Nasty Girl" interpolates the melody of "Push It".
- Sampled in 2003 for "Let It All Out (Push It)," the first solo single of René Dif, lead male singer of Aqua.
- Sampled for Ciara's "Do It".
- Quoted in Missy Elliott's "Don't Be Cruel" on This Is Not a Test!.
- Sampled for a 2007 McDonald's commercial.
- Sampled by the Gorillaz in the song 'Kids with Guns'.
- Sampled for the main bassline "Push The Ghosts" a 2007 single, by The Twang.
- Sampled by Solomon on his mixtape "Rhyting Rhymes Vol. 1".
- Sampled by Diplo in the song Sunshowers for the M.I.A. mixtape Piracy Funds Terrorism Volume 1.
- Sampled and covered by Harlem rap group Dipset in 2004.
- Sampled in Massari's song, Body body.
- Sampled in Lady Gaga's performance of her song "Paparazzi" in V Fest 2009.
- Sampled in Pitbull's song "Hey Baby (Drop It To The Floor)" featuring T-Pain.
- Sampled in Miley Cyrus's song "SMS (Bangerz)" featuring Britney Spears
- Vocal Remixed by DJ ELKING, [DJ AM Tribute]
In other media
- Salt-N-Pepa performed the song in a November 2014 advertisement for Geico, humorously applying the "push it" refrain to scenarios such as mowing a lawn, Lamaze classes, or football players against tackling dummies.
- The song appears in video games DJ Hero 2, Dance Central, Burnout Crash, Get Up & Dance, SingStar Dance, Get On Da Mic and Def Jam Rapstar.
- 500 Greatest Songs of All Time: Salt 'n Pepa, 'Push It' | Rolling Stone
- "Australian-charts.com – Salt-N-Pepa – Push It". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Austriancharts.at – Salt-N-Pepa – Push It" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Salt-N-Pepa – Push It" (in French). Ultratop 50.
- "Push it in Canadian Top Singles Chart". Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved 14 June 2013.
- "Musicline.de – Salt-N-Pepa Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Push It in Irish Chart". IRMA. Retrieved 14 June 2013. 3rd result when searching "Push It"
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Salt-N-Pepa search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- "Charts.org.nz – Salt-N-Pepa – Push It". Top 40 Singles.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Salt-N-Pepa – Push It". VG-lista.
- "Spanishcharts.com – Salt-N-Pepa – Push It" Canciones Top 50.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Salt-N-Pepa – Push It". Singles Top 60.
- "Swisscharts.com – Salt-N-Pepa – Push It". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Salt-N-Pepa". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 14 June 2013.
- "Salt-N-Pepa awards on Allmusic". Allmusic. Retrieved 14 June 2013.