He was first active as the singer for the band Septic Death, obscure during their 1980s career but later recognized as pioneers of the thrashcore genre. Schroeder has since worked primarily as an artist, often featuring images of skulls and skeletons in his work.
He has created artwork for many bands, artists, and athletes including Metallica, The Misfits, Dr. Dre, Travis Barker, Del Mar Skate Ranch, Rocket From The Crypt, Zorlac Skateboards and Kool Keith. He has also designed many record covers, T-shirts (most notably for Thrasher), skateboards, and two pairs of Nike SB Dunks. His record label, Pusmort Records, has released albums by Negative Gain, Poison Idea and Final Conflict. He fronted the band Septic Death during the 1980s, which gained reviews in The Rocket and Creem.
Pushead's style typically involves detailed skulls which are often gruesome and weathered. His work has most often been associated with the band Metallica, as seen in Metallica's "2 of One" (music video for "One"), on the album cover for St. Anger, numerous interior album illustrations, and various web graphics and T-shirt designs. Pushead has worked with a number of other musical acts including Dr. Octagon. In 1991, Pushead designed and illustrated a number of sticker inserts for a series of heavy metal and hard rock trading cards called RockCards, released by Brockum.
He also designed skateboard graphics and advertisements for Zorlac Skateboards during the 80s and beginning of the 90s. Pushead was also an artist for the skateboard magazine Thrasher during the 80s and early 90s. His recent work includes a limited edition shoe released worldwide by Nike SB on December 17, 2005. Pushead designed the shoes, box, tissue paper, soles, and the tag on the shoes. He has also collaborated with Altamont Apparel, designing three T-shirts, in their Fall10 Collection.
Pushead founded the record labels Pusmort Records and Bacteria Sour.
Septic Death was a hardcore punk band formed in Boise, Idaho by Pushead. The band played only a few shows during its active years (1981 to 1986), mostly in their hometown, though records continued to be released up to 2006. Pushead was the main singer, and designed the band's album covers.
- The Art of Pushead, Puszone website, retrieved 2008-03-27
- Nike Skateboarding, nike.com, retrieved 2008-03-27
- Selections from The Punk Vault [Poison Idea], punkvinyl.com, retrieved 2008-03-27
- "Pusmort Records Discography", pusfan.com, retrieved 2008-03-27
- Now That I Have Your Attention, septicdeath.com, retrieved 2008-03-27
- Septic Death, septicdeath.com, retrieved 2008-03-27[copyright violation?]
- Untitled, septicdeath.com, retrieved 2008-03-27[copyright violation?]
- Crocker, Chris (15 December 1992). Metallica: The Frayed Ends of Metal (1st ed.). St. Martin's Griffin. p. 82. ISBN 0312086350. Retrieved 23 November 2016.
- Wall, Mick (18 February 2010). Appetite for Destruction: The Mick Wall Interviews. Orion. Retrieved 23 November 2016.
- Metallica website, retrieved 2008-03-27
- "Album Review: Dr. Octagon", Rolling Stone, retrieved 2008-03-27 — Rolling Stone magazine showing Pushead's artwork for Dr. Octagon
- superFishal Collab DECK - Pushead - The Music, skatesonhaight.com, retrieved 2008-03-27 — Pushead-designed skateboard
- Ads-Skateboard, pusfan.com, retrieved 2008-03-27