Originally from Boise, Idaho, Schoeder formed the hardcore band Septic Death in 1981. During this period he developed a career as an artist under the name Pushead, and made that his primary occupation after the band split in 1986.
His artwork, often featuring gruesome depictions of skeletons and corpses, was noted by artists in the early hardcore and thrash metal scenes in the 1980s, and later by musicians in several other genres. He has designed album covers, T-shirts, posters, and other merchandise for musicians including Metallica, Misfits, Travis Barker, Kool Keith, and many others. He has also designed for the skateboarding subculture, including regular items associated with Thrasher magazine.
Pushead operated the record labels Pusmort and Bacteria Sour. In recent years his designs have appeared on sneakers, particularly commemorative items released by Metallica, as well as limited edition products from Nike. His work has also appeared on a special edition electric guitar by ESP.
- "Pushead Songs, Albums, Reviews, Bio & More". AllMusic. Retrieved November 24, 2021.
- "Maximum RockNRoll #8". www.pusfan.com. Retrieved November 24, 2021.
- Enthal, Andrea (August 1985). "Underground (column)". Spin. p. 34.
- Crocker, Chris (December 15, 1992). Metallica: The Frayed Ends of Metal (1st ed.). St. Martin's Griffin. p. 82. ISBN 0312086350. Retrieved November 23, 2016.
- Wall, Mick (February 18, 2010). Appetite for Destruction: The Mick Wall Interviews. Orion. ISBN 9781409114352. Retrieved November 23, 2016.
- Repel, Michael (2015). The Music Industry Self Help Guide. p. 133. ISBN 9780991515547.
- Wall, Mick (2011). Enter Night: A Biography of Metallica. St. Martin's Publishing Group. pp. 304–305. ISBN 9781429987035.
- Cownley, Emma (September 9, 2020). "Metallica's cover artist on what it's like to illustrate one of the biggest bands on the planet". loudersound. Retrieved November 24, 2021.
- "Scuba Steve Art - Travis Barker's House of Horrors". scubasteveart.com. Retrieved November 24, 2021.
- Redding, Dan (May 18, 2018). "Dr. Octagon: The Story Behind Hip Hop's Masters Of The Surreal". Culture Creature. Retrieved November 24, 2021.
- Subcultures, Popular Music and Social Change. Cambridge Scholars. 2014. p. 162. ISBN 9781443867375.
- O'Connor, Alan (2008). Punk Record Labels and the Struggle for Autonomy: The Emergence of DIY. Lexington Books. pp. 9, 20. ISBN 9781461634089.
- Hartzog, Oscar (July 26, 2021). "Metallica Releases New Vans Sneaker Collab for 'Black Album's' 30th Anniversary". Rolling Stone. Retrieved November 24, 2021.
- Nike Skateboarding, nike.com, archived from the original on May 9, 2008, retrieved March 27, 2008
- "ESP Guitars Announces 30th Anniversary Kirk Hammett Signature KH-3 Spider". Premier Guitar. January 11, 2021. Retrieved November 24, 2021.