Pushpagiri Wildlife Sanctuary
|Pushpagiri Wildlife Sanctuary|
Landscape of Shola Forests,Pushpagiri WLS
|Location||Somwarpet, Kodagu district, Karnataka, India|
|Governing body||Karnataka Forest Department|
This sanctuary is located in Somwarpet taluk of Kodagu district and has some attractive scenery. It is home to rare and endangered birdlife and is designated as one of the important bird areas of the world. The rich Kadamakkal reserve forest is a part of the sanctuary. Pushpagiri is the highest peak in it. Kumaraparvatha is the other peak that lies within it. The sanctuary adjoins Bisle reserve forest to north and Kukke Subramanya forest range to the west.
Flora and fauna
Albizia lebbeck, Artocarpus lakoocha, Dysoxylum malabaricum and Mesua ferrea' are some of the species of flora found here. Indian Wild Dog, Brown Palm Civet, Indian Giant Squirrel, Indian Hare, Spotted Deer, Sambar, Indian Muntjac, Gaur, Asian Elephant, Wild Pig, Giant Flying Squirrel, Travancore Flying, Otter species, Stripe-necked mongoose and mouse deer are some of the animal species found here.
- "BirdLife IBA Factsheet - Pushpagiri Wildlife Sanctuary". Retrieved 2007-02-01.
- "Western Ghats—Talacauvery Sub-Cluster (with Six Site Elements)". Retrieved 2007-02-01.
Trekking at Pushpagiri (Kumaraparvatha)
There are two official trekking routes by which to ascend or descend Kumaraparvatha. one from Kukke subramanya and the other from Somawarpet, Madikeri. Kukke Subramanya route is considered as most scenic and difficult route.
Trekking difficulty level: Moderate to difficulty
Best time to visit: September to April
Camping allowed: Yes
- Can be climbed from Somawarpet and Subramanya side
- Drinking water sources along the ways (Fresh Water streams)
- Carry your tents and sleeping bags
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pushpagiri Wildlife Sanctuary.|
- Western Ghats UNESCO World Heritage Centre
- Important Bird Areas in India - Pushpagiri Wildlife Sanctuary
- Link to a map of Pushpagiri Sanctuary and surrounding terrain from google maps
- 'A trail in the rainforests' A travel story on hiking/ trekking in Pushpagiri Wildlife Sanctuary, published in Deccan Herald, Bangalore, Jan 26, 2003.
- Some images from Pushpagiri Sanctuary
- "X-Dog Trekking| Tents for rent in Bangalore". www.trekkingtentforrent.com. Retrieved 2015-11-09.