Pussellawa Town Council Original Crest 1950
|Motto: Service to the Nation|
|• Type||Udapalatha Divisional Secretariat|
|Elevation||855 m (2,800 ft)|
|Time zone||Sri Lanka Standard Time Zone (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||CP XX XXXX|
Legend says ancient kings of Gampola Kingdom established by the great King Buvanekabahu IV. (1341–1357) when threatened by enemies used to hide among in the inaccessible terrain around Pussellawa and Kothmale. These inaccessible terrains later became the world best known Tea Plantations.
The beginning of the Hill country, Pussellawa is 16 km from Gampola on Nuwara Eliya road and has an elevation of nearly 2,800 feet (850 m) that makes the climate cool and surroundings can go under the mist during late evenings. Pussellawa Rest House was a popular stop with the early travellers, who rested prior to passing through the difficult mountains at Ramboda Pass onto Nuwara Eliya. Even today tourists who spend mornings in Kandy find Pussellawa to be a convenient lunch stop. The nearest Railway station is located in Gampola.
Around the town are a number of waterfalls that could be visited conveniently by the modern traveler. There is a hotel in Pussellawa and 12 hotels in the cities around Pussellawa.
- Holy Trinity College
- Delta Gemunupura Maha Vidyalaya
- Saraswathy Tamil Maha Vidyalayam
- Buddhist Junior School
- Hindu National College
Attractions near Pussellawa
Height: 197 feet (60 m), 60 meters A minor waterfall, 60 m in height in the Ramboda – Pussellawa area, is located 6 km from Pussawella near the main highway. This fall, rushing over in six cascades into a wide pond surrounded by rocks, is also located on a tributary of Kotmale Oya.
Height: 328 feet (100 m), 100 meters
Ramboda Falls is 109m high and is regarded as the 11th highest waterfall in Sri Lanka and 729th highest waterfall in the world. It is situated in Pussellawa area, on the A5 highway at Ramboda Pass. It formed by Panna Oya which is a tributary of Kothmale Oya. Altitude of the falls is 945m above sea level.
Height: 10 meters, 33 feet (10 m) The small waterfall by the main Gampola – Nuwara Eliya road at 41/7 km is 9 km from Pussellawa and is located below the Helboda Estate. The fall rushing over the rock ledge originating from the forests upstream carries a fair amount of water even during the dry season. The location with parking is convenient for bathing and the clean, cool water is popular among the travelers.
Pundalu Oya Falls
Height: 328 feet (100 m), 100 meters The magnificent fall consists of three sectors. In the first sector water falls over the broad rock-face and continues to flow over a flat terrain. The river traverses across this flat sector and continues below the bridge, into the valley below to join Kotmale Oya. The waterfall is located 2 km to the east of Pundalu Oya on the road to Dansit Estate in the midst of tea plantations.
Tea estates around Pussellawa
Sri Lanka is one of the world's largest exporters of tea. Since the introduction of tea to Sri Lanka in mid 19th century Pussellawa has been in the mids of the tea industry. For many miles prior to reaching Pussellawa Town from either direction you will find acres and acres of tea plantations, in fact, nothing but tea estates. There are many factories open for visitor's which also have tea sales outlets.
Melfort Estate This area is where the ground was cleared for the very first plantations which were in coffee in about 1826. The estate is at the lower end of the Pussellawa valley on the road to Nuwara Eliya. This area is a wonderful endless tea carpet, following every dip and mound in the ground broken only by the shade trees, bungalows, factory and workers cottages. Someone somewhere in the world at this very moment is getting lost in the revitalising taste of the finest quality purest green tea ever manufactured at the Melfort Tea Estate. Established in 1918, the Melfort green tea factory gives Sri Lanka the pride of being able to treat tea lovers around the globe with the finest blend of green tea that has won the acclamation of generations due health benefits it provides. It is no rocket science that many brands not only prefer but demand our green tea as it is being processed at our processing plant at Sanquhar estate which is the oldest tea plantation in Sri Lanka, dating back to the 19th century.
Rothschild Tea Estate The 2000-acre Rothschild estate at Pussellawa was well known for its completeness and efficiency and was held up as a model for others to recapitulate. Rothschild tea was the standard for quality in Mincing Lane for over twenty-five years. With the start made at Pussellawa (History of Ceylon Tea).
Rothschild Tea estate wins top entrepreneur award in Central Province (Sunday December 19, 2010) Rothschild Tea Estate at Pussellawa recently received the award for the best large-scale entrepreneur in the Central Province at a ceremony organized by the Ministry of Industries and the Department of Industrial Development and Enterprise Promotion, to recognize and reward best performing entrepreneurs in the province in overall business excellence. Rothschild is the first tea estate in the world to receive the Global Gap certificate.
Sanquhar Estate Estate comprises, 605 are under cultivation, 475 being planted with tea and 130 with rubber.
New Peacock Estate
Delta Estate a company owned by "Pussellawa" plantation ltd.
Places of Worship
- Mathindaramaya Buddhist Temple
- Kathiresan Kovil
- Bodirajaramaya Pussellawagama
- Jumma Mosque
- Holy Trinity Anglican Church is a small whitewashed church on a wooded hillock overlooking Pussellawa. The inside is cool and airy. There are brass memorials to a number of plantation owners and superintendents. The church was built by Europeans and handed over to the locals for their worship purposes. The church's sesquicentennial 150 year anniversary was celebrated in 2009. The congregation is fairly large and most of the believers are Plantation Tamils and Sinhalese. All the worships are conducted in Sinhala and Tamil languages which are the widely speaking languages in Sri Lanka. In the shadow of Holy Trinity is the Holy Trinity Pre-School. Established in 1976, the pre-school is attended by over 100 children of the four faiths in Sri Lanka. Crammed into the simple premises a wide variety of activities take place, not just the pre-school classes in the morning. The main room in the Pre-School. Classes are conducted in Sinhala, Tamil and English Mediums. By encouraging understanding of multiple languages at the earliest possible stage, the pre-school lives up to its name. The Daughter church is the Holy trinity is Saint Hilda's Church situated in Delta Estate Built by Twentyman in 1902. currently Revd. Fr. Shelton Daniel is serving as the vicar of both churches.
- Sri Bakta Hanuman Temple Ramboda