|Single by Young Jeezy featuring Kanye West|
|from the album The Recession|
|Released||June 3, 2008|
|Format||CD, Digital Download|
|Genre||Hip hop, southern hip hop|
|Length||5:21 (Album Version)
4:19 (Radio Edit)
4:46 (Video Version)
|Label||Corporate Thugz, Def Jam|
|Writer(s)||Jay Jenkins, Kanye West|
"Put On" is a song by American hip hop recording artist Young Jeezy taken from his third studio album, The Recession. The song, released as the album's lead single on June 3, 2008, features fellow rapper Kanye West, who uses the popular Auto-Tune effect for his verse. The song received a Grammy nomination for Best Rap Performance by a Duo or Group.
The music video for "Put On", directed by Gil Green, premiered on BET's 106 & Park on July 21, 2008. The music video is aimed at the 2008 recession. In the video, silver and black American flags are hung up around neighborhoods and businesses, representing change.
Remixes and freestyles
An official remix featuring rapper Jay-Z was released on July 29, 2008. Jay-Z tried the auto-tune for the phrase, "I Put On" before his verse for a short time and didn't use the effect after that, saying "I don't need no T-Pain."
A freestyle over the production was recorded by Ludacris for his mixtape The Preview, in which he references the artists in the original song and Lil Wayne selling 1 million copies of Tha Carter III in a week. Lil Wayne also recorded a freestyle for his mixtape Dedication 3, featuring his Young Money recording artists Tyga and Gudda Gudda. Another remix was made by Trae. This remix was a short freestyle for one of his mixtapes. Other artists to freestyle over the beat include: Rick Ross, Ace Hood & Plies, Wale and The-Dream.
Young Jeezy and Kanye West both performed the song at the 2008 BET Awards. It is featured in the video game Midnight Club: Los Angeles. It was also featured in the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 video games Skate 3 and Def Jam Rapstar. For the 2008-2009 NBA season, the Cleveland Cavaliers use the song to introduce their starting lineup. It was also featured at the end of the 2009 film Janky Promoters, in which Jeezy starred as himself. The Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets football team uses the song, played by its band, to represent its Atlanta roots during games, leading to a big reaction from the student section.
"Put On" first made a "Hot Shot Debut" at number 36 on the Billboard Hot 100 making it Young Jeezy's highest debut on the chart. Since then has risen to number 12, making it Young Jeezy's fourth top-twenty hit on the chart. It's also his second song to top the Hot Rap Tracks chart. In Canada it also made a "Hot Shot Debut" at #46 on the Canadian Hot 100.
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||46|
|US Billboard Hot 100||12|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||3|
|US Hot Rap Songs (Billboard)||1|
|United States (RIAA)||2× Platinum||2,000,000*|
^shipments figures based on certification alone
- December 4, 2008. Lil Wayne Nominated For Eight Grammy Awards. Accessed December 4, 2008.
- Young Jeezy f. Jay-Z - Put On (rmx) Accessed August 2, 2008
- "Young Jeezy – Chart history" Canadian Hot 100 for Young Jeezy. Retrieved January 2, 2015.
- "Young Jeezy – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Young Jeezy. Retrieved January 2, 2015.
- "Young Jeezy – Chart history" Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs for Young Jeezy. Retrieved January 2, 2015.
- "Young Jeezy – Chart history" Billboard Hot Rap Songs for Young Jeezy. Retrieved January 2, 2015.
- "American single certifications – Young Jeezy – Put On". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH