|Single by Young Jeezy featuring Kanye West|
|from the album The Recession|
|Released||June 3, 2008|
|Genre||Hip hop, southern hip hop|
5:21 (album version)|
4:19 (radio edit)
4:46 (video version)
|Young Jeezy singles chronology|
|Kanye West singles chronology|
"Put On" is a song written and performed by American hip hop recording artists Young Jeezy and Kanye West, taken from the former's third studio album, The Recession. The song was released as the album's lead single on June 3, 2008. The song received a Grammy nomination for Best Rap Performance by a Duo or Group.
The music video for "Put On", directed by Gil Green as featuring Amber Rose in one of her first high-profile appearances, premiered on BET's 106 & Park on July 21, 2008. The music video is aimed at the 2008 recession. In the video, silver and black U.S. flags are hung up around neighborhoods and businesses, representing change.
Remixes and freestyles
An official remix featuring rapper Jay-Z was released on July 29, 2008. Jay-Z tried the auto-tune for the phrase, "I Put On" before his verse for a short time and didn't use the effect after that, saying "I don't need no T-Pain."
A freestyle over the production was recorded by Ludacris for his mixtape The Preview, in which he references the artists in the original song and Lil Wayne selling 1 million copies of Tha Carter III in a week. Lil Wayne also recorded a freestyle for his mixtape Dedication 3, featuring his Young Money recording artists Tyga and Gudda Gudda. Another remix was made by Trae tha Truth for one of his mixtapes. Other artists to freestyle over the beat include: Rick Ross, Ace Hood & Plies, Wale and The-Dream.
Jeezy and West both performed "Put On" at the 2008 BET Awards. The track is featured in the video games Midnight Club: Los Angeles, Skate 3 and Def Jam Rapstar. For the 2008-2009 NBA season, the Cleveland Cavaliers used the song to introduce their starting lineup. It was also featured at the end of the 2009 film Janky Promoters, in which Jeezy starred as himself. The Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets football team uses the song, played by its band, to represent its Atlanta roots during games, leading to a big reaction from the student section.
"Put On" debuted at number 36 on the Billboard Hot 100, making it Jeezy's highest debut on the chart. Since then it has risen to number 12, making it his fourth top 20 hit on the chart. It is also his second song to top the Hot Rap Tracks chart.
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||46|
|US Billboard Hot 100||12|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||3|
|US Hot Rap Songs (Billboard)||1|
|United States (RIAA)||2× Platinum||2,000,000^|
^shipments figures based on certification alone
- December 4, 2008. Lil Wayne Nominated For Eight Grammy Awards. Accessed December 4, 2008.
- Young Jeezy f. Jay-Z - Put On (rmx) Accessed August 2, 2008
- "Young Jeezy Chart History (Canadian Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved January 2, 2015.
- "Young Jeezy Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved January 2, 2015.
- "Young Jeezy Chart History (Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved January 2, 2015.
- "Young Jeezy Chart History (Hot Rap Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved January 2, 2015.
- "American single certifications – Young Jeezy – Put On". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.