|Directed by||A. K. Sajan|
|Written by||A. K. Sajan|
|Cinematography||Roby varghese Raj|
|Edited by||Vivek Harshan|
VG Films International
|Distributed by||Alabama Movies|
|Box office||est.₹81.20 million|
Puthiya Niyamam (English:New Law) is a 2016 Indian Malayalam-language crime drama film written and directed by A. K. Sajan. The film stars Mammootty and Nayantara in the lead roles, along with Baby Ananya, Sheelu Abraham, Aju Varghese, Rachana Narayanankutty and S. N. Swamy in supporting roles. The film was released on 12 February 2016.
The film explores the drug fueled crimes and consumption of substances like marijuana and LSD by the youth. The film was dubbed and released in Telugu as Vasuki in 2017 and Tamil as Vasuki in 2018 April.
Louis Pothen is a television film critic, an artist, a divorce lawyer and also participates in a live TV channel named "Kathrika". His wife Vasuki Iyer is a Kathakali artist and they live together along with their school going daughter. They live away from their parents since their marriage was an inter-caste one.
Vasuki is raped by her two neighbors and their cloth presser. Vasuki is frightened to discuss with her husband about her being raped. Vasuki with DCP Jeena Bhai's telephonic assistance kills her rapists. Vasuki assures DCP that she would never have any contacts with her in the future and if they meet accidentally, would behave like strangers.
It is revealed that Louis was informed by Swami of his wife being raped. Swami had witnessed Vasuki being raped from his house but did not have the courage to save Vasuki since the rapists were notorious and drug addicts. Louis through a mobile software (which can transform a male voice to a female voice) mimicked DCP Jeena Bhai and guided Vasuki to murder her rapists . Louis never reveals the truth to Vasuki and decides to keep it as a secret so that they could lead a happy married life.
- Mammootty as Adv. Louis Pothen
- Nayantara as Vasuki Iyer-Louis
- Baby Ananya as Chintha
- Sheelu Abraham as DCP Jeena Bhai
- Rachana Narayanankutty as Kani
- S. N. Swamy as Swami
- Roshan Mathew as Aryan
- Sendrayan as Pachabhasmam
- Aju Varghese as Romanch
- Sadiq as Dayanandan Mash
- Sreelatha Namboothiri as Pavel Ammachi
- Sohan Seenulal as Asst. Adv. Baburaj
- Pradeep Kottayam as Thalathil Sreenivasan
- Jennifer Antony as Kshemettathi
- Aniyappan as Sura
- Anil K Reji as Sudeep
In July 2015, it was reported that Mammootty and Nayantara would play an inter-caste couple in A. K. Sajan's forthcoming film. The film was reported to be initially planned with Suresh Gopi in lead. It was also reported that Sajan initially wrote the script with Renji Panicker in mind for the lead role, with Muthumani as heroine. But after hearing the script, Renji noted that the script demands a "larger scale" production and suggested Mammootty for the lead role. As per Ranji's suggestion when Sajan approached Mammootty, the offer was immediately accepted by him. Regarding the characters, A. K. Sajan says, "Mammootty's character in the film, Louis Pothen, almost mirrors his real life personality. He's an easy-going lawyer, who is also a film critic and has a socialist leaning. However, Nayanthara's character Vasuki is diametrically opposite."
Filming and post-production
Principal photography commenced on 21 August. The film was initially titled Solomonte Koodaram, but later changed to Puthiya Niyamam. The title was revealed through its first look poster on 27 October 2015. The filming was completed by October 2015 in Ernakulam and Thrissur.
The costumes that Mammootty's character Louis Pothen has to don in film were purchased from Dubai by Mammootty himself. roby varghese raj who was an assistant of cinematographers Rajeev Menon and Jomon T. John debuted as an independent cinematographer in the film.
Editing was done at the residence of Vivek Harshan in Chennai. Harshan, the National Award-winning film editor, was in commitment for six films simultaneously and edited Puthiya Niyamam at the insistence of director Sajan. The post-production works including Mammootty's dubbing were completed in December. However, Nayanthara was unimpressed with the dubbing of her character and expressed her desire to dub for herself. As it would be her debut dubbing in Malayalam language, a dubbing trial was conducted in Chennai in mid-January 2016.
The film consists of two songs composed by Gopi Sunder And Vinu Thomas. But shows only one song in the film.
The film collected the gross amount of ₹1.23 crore (US$170,000) and ₹1.58 crore (US$220,000) on the first two days in Kerala box office. Puthiya Niyamam has reportedly collected ₹8.12 crore (US$1.1 million) and completed more than 7,000 shows in Kerala box office. The film grossed ₹14.33 lakh (US$20,000) after 2 weekends at US box office.
Sanjith Sidhardhan of The Times of India rated the film 3 out of 5 concluding, "Puthiya Niyamam is an intense tale elevated by the screen presence of its protagonists. It has a fresh take on certain aspects and is worth a one-time watch." Rating 3.5 out of 5, Akhila Menon of Filmibeat called the film "a perfect thriller" and appreciated Mammootty and Nayantara for their performance and "exceptional" screen chemistry, A. K Sajan for his direction and "brilliantly-written" script and Gopi Sundar for his "extraordinary" background score. The critic said, "The movie is engaging from the beginning till the end, even though most of the scenes are restricted to the lead characters." Anu James of International Business Times also gave a rating of 3.5 in a scale of 5, saying "With thrilling moments accompanied by right amount of comedy, AK Sajan's scripting in "Puthiya Niyamam" makes the movie interesting and thought provoking," and noted Nayanthara's performance as her "career-best".
- "PUTHIYA NIYAMAM (15)". British Board of Film Classification. 2 March 2016. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- Anu James. "Kerala box office: Here is the collection report of 'King Liar,' 'Kali,' 'Vettah,' 'Paavada,' 'Puthiya Niyamam". International Business Times.
- "Mammootty to teach 'new law'". Kerala Kaumudi. 23 August 2015. Retrieved 27 October 2015.
- "Nayanthara to play Mammootty's heroine once again?". Sify. 20 July 2015. Retrieved 14 November 2015.
- "Mammootty And Nayantara To Bring Inter-Caste Marriages Next Onscreen". International Business Times. 21 July 2015. Retrieved 14 November 2015.
- Anu James (6 April 2016). "Kerala box office: Here is the collection report of 'King Liar,' 'Kali,' 'Vettah,' 'Paavada,' 'Puthiya Niyamam'". International Business Times. Retrieved 6 April 2016.
- Anu James (12 February 2016). "'Puthiya Niyamam' review roundup: Critics call Mammootty starrer a convincing thriller". International Business Times. Retrieved 19 February 2016.
- "When Mammootty Replaced Renji Panicker!". www.filmibeat.com. 11 November 2015. Retrieved 22 December 2015.
- "Nayan breaks her rule for Mammootty film". The Times of India. 24 September 2015. Retrieved 14 November 2015.
- "Mammootty's new film started rolling". NowRunning. 24 August 2015. Retrieved 3 November 2015.
- "Nayan's Onam! Not a part of GV Prakash project!". Sify. 28 August 2015. Retrieved 14 November 2015.
- "Mammootty and Nayanthara in 'Solomonte Koodaram'". Sify. 19 August 2015. Retrieved 14 November 2015.
- "Mammootty-Nayantara film's poster out; AK Sajan directorial titled 'Puthiya Niyamam'". International Business Times. 27 October 2015.
- "സോളമന്റെ കൂടാരമല്ല, പുതിയ നിയമം". Madhyamam (in Malayalam). 25 August 2015. Archived from the original on 25 August 2015. Retrieved 14 November 2015.
- "'Puthiya Niyamam' shoot wrapped up". NowRunning. 30 October 2015. Retrieved 3 November 2015.
- റോബിൻ ടി. വർഗീസ് (6 February 2016). "ചെറുപ്പത്തെ പേടിക്കേണ്ടതില്ല". Malayala Manorama. Retrieved 13 February 2016.
- Sanjith Sidhardhan (13 January 2016). "Nayanthara to lend her voice for her next Malayalam film?". The Times of India. Retrieved 18 January 2016.
- Akhila Menon (14 January 2016). "Nayantara To Make Dubbing Debut With Puthiya Niyamam". Filmibeat. Retrieved 19 February 2016.
- Anjana George (1 December 2015). "Mammootty-Nayantara movie to have two songs". The Times of India. Retrieved 9 February 2016.
- Anu James (15 February 2016). "'Puthiya Niyamam' Kerala box office collection: Mammootty-Nayantara's film crosses Rs 4 crore mark in 3 days". International Business Times. Retrieved 15 February 2016.
- Anu James (6 April 2016). "Kerala box office: Here is the collection report of 'King Liar,' 'Kali,' 'Vettah,' 'Paavada,' 'Puthiya Niyamam'". International Business Times. Retrieved 15 April 2016.
- "Neerja continues its phenomenal run". Bollywood Hungama. 29 February 2016. Retrieved 29 February 2016.
- Sanjith Sidhardhan (14 February 2015). "Puthiya Niyamam". The Times of India. Retrieved 20 February 2015.
- Akhila Menon (12 February 2015). "Puthiya Niyamam Movie Review: Crime Meets Family!". Filmibeat. Retrieved 20 February 2015.
- Anu James (13 February 2015). "'Puthiya Niyamam' review: Nayantara-Mammootty starrer urges women to speak out against social evils". IB Times. Retrieved 20 February 2015.