|Directed by||P. Bharathiraja|
|Produced by||P. Bharathiraja|
|Screenplay by||K. Bhagyaraj|
|Story by||R. Selvaraj|
|Cinematography||P. S. Nivas|
|Edited by||R. Bhaskaran|
|Distributed by||Manoj Creations|
|14 April 1979|
Puthiya Vaarpugal (lit. 'New Mouldings') is a 1979 Tamil language film, directed by P. Bharathiraja. K. Bhagyaraj and Rati Agnihotri played the lead roles in this film along with Goundamani and G. Srinivasan. The music was composed by Ilaiyaraaja.
Bhagyaraj is the dialogue writer and hero of this movie. Bhagyaraj used this fact in his own Dhavani Kanavugal movie where he cast his mentor P Bharathiraja in a cameo role (movie director) as himself who decides to cast an extra(Bhagyaraj) as hero and dialogue writer of his movie after accidentally discovering his skills.  
Shanmugakani (K. Bhagyaraj) arrives in the village of Thaayamangalam as the new school teacher and soon falls in love with a local damsel Jothi (Rati Agnihotri). The village head called as "Periyavar" (played by G. Srinivasan) is a lecherous and sinister man who has a lustful eye on Jothi. Amavasai (Goundamani) is Periyavar's stooge who also has a long-standing desire to marry Jothi. Periyavar frames Shanmugakani for the rape and murder of a woman social activist and gets him evicted from the village and gets Jothi married by deceit to Amavasai. He asks Amavasai and Jothi to stay with him in order to satiate his lust with Jothi. What happens afterwards forms the rest of the story.
- K. Bhagyaraj as Shanmugakani (Voice-over by Gangai Amaran)
- Rati Agnihotri as Jothi
- Goundamani as Amavasai
- Usharani as Social Activist
- G. Srinivasan as Landlord
- Janagaraj as Landlord's Son
- K. K. Soundar as Jothi's Father
- Manobala as Panchayat Member (Cameo) / also Assistant Director of the film
- Master Haja Sheriff as Jothi's Brother Doraisamy
- Chandrasekhar as Mappilai
|Film score by|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|2||"Thamthananam Thana"||Jency, Sulochana||Gangai Amaran||4:12|
|3||"Thiruvizha Koothu"||Ilaiyaraaja, Gangai Amaran, P. Bharathiraja||Gangai Amaran||5:37|
|4||"Vaan Megangale"||Malaysia Vasudevan, S. Janaki||Kannadasan||4:34|
- "Film List Of Director Barathiraja". Lakshman Shruthi. Retrieved 22 December 2011.
- Sri (12 June 2010). "K.Bhaagya Raj - Chitchat". Telugucinema.com. Archived from the original on 31 December 2010. Retrieved 7 March 2019.
- "Heroine files complaint against husband". The Times of India. 15 March 2015. Retrieved 15 February 2018.
- Ilaiyaraaja (1979). Puthiya Vaarppukal (liner notes) (in Tamil). Inreco.
- "Puthiya Vaarpugal (1979)". Raaga.com. Archived from the original on 15 August 2014. Retrieved 1 October 2013.
- Mani, Charulatha (2 September 2011). "A Raga's Journey - Sacred Shanmukhapriya". The Hindu. Retrieved 16 April 2019.
- "சினிமா விமர்சனம்: புதிய வார்ப்புகள்". Ananda Vikatan. 29 April 1979.