Putnam City High School
|Putnam City High School|
5300 Northwest 50th Street
|Number of students||1,788 (2016-17)|
|Color(s)||Orange and Black|
|District||Putnam City School District|
Putnam City High School (commonly, PC, Putnam City Original, and PCO) is a secondary school located in Warr Acres, Oklahoma, a northwestern suburb of metropolitan Oklahoma City, USA. It is one of three high schools in the Putnam City School District and serves more than 1,900 students. It is accredited by the North Central Association of Secondary Schools.
Located at Northwest 50th Street and Ann Arbor Avenue, the school's campus includes a separate building for the instruction of science and history, a large student parking lot and the district's primary stadium used by three high schools for football, track meets and other outdoor activities. The school has two band rooms, two cafeterias and two gymnasiums.
The school district is roughly bounded by Northwest 39th Street on the south, Northwest Expressway on the north, Portland Avenue on the east and County Line Road on the west.
The Putnam City School District hosts a marching band contest, known as The Putnam City Marching Classic, annually at Putnam City High School. The Putnam City Marching Classic is Central Oklahoma’s premier high school marching band competition. The contest welcomes bands of all sizes, as well as bands from all states, to Putnam City Stadium. The stadium has artificial turf, ample spectator seating and free all-day shuttles from the parking area to the front gate. Vendors and concessions are conveniently located for spectators and band members. However, the 2012 Classic was cancelled because of a lack of competitors.
- Alvan Adams, former professional basketball player (Oklahoma, Phoenix Suns)
- Bill Amis, professional basketball player (Pratt CC, Hawaii, Univ. of Tartu, Keravnos, Steaua București)
- Joe Aska, professional American football player (Central Oklahoma, Oakland Raiders, Indianapolis Colts, New York/New Jersey Hitmen)
- Nicole DeHuff, TV/movie actress (Meet the Parents, The Court)
- Stephen Dickson, opera singer
- Andrew Heaney, MLB pitcher for the Los Angeles Angels
- C.J. Henry, professional baseball player (New York Yankees, Philadelphia Phillies), college basketball player (Memphis, Kansas, Southern Nazarene)
- Xavier Henry, professional basketball player for the Kansas Jayhawks and the New Orleans Hornets
- Phil Johnson, basketball head coach (Northern Oklahoma CC, Seminole JC, San Jose State) basketball assistant coach (East Central, Tulsa, New Orleans, Arizona, Chicago Bulls, USC, UTEP)
- Steve Largent, Pro Football Hall of Famer (Tulsa, Houston Oilers, Seattle Seahawks); former congressman
- Bryan McCann, professional American football player (SMU, Dallas Cowboys, Baltimore Ravens, Oakland Raiders, Miami Dolphins, Arizona Cardinals, Washington Redskins)
- Joseph Opala, public historian, Africa scholar, human rights activist
- John Seward, co-founder of Hobby Lobby, art photographer, patron of the arts
- Bob Shirley, Major League Baseball pitcher
- Christopher Wise, scholar and professor of English and Comparative Literature at Western Washington University
- Jeremy Coleman, founder and CEO of Crossover Media Inc. and High School Football Play-By-Play voice.
- "PUTNAM CITY HS". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved February 16, 2019.
- Putnam City High School, Education.com (accessed June 15, 2010).
- School History, Putnam City High School Alumni Association (accessed June 15, 2010).
- 2009 Michi Susan Award from the Paseo Arts Association (archived at archive.org)