Putney railway station
|Local authority||London Borough of Wandsworth|
|Managed by||South Western Railway|
|Number of platforms||4|
|Fare zone||2 and 3|
|OSI||East Putney |
|National Rail annual entry and exit|
|Original company||London & South Western Railway|
|Lists of stations|
| London transport portal|
UK Railways portal
Putney railway station serves Putney in the London Borough of Wandsworth, in southwest London straddling Travelcard zone 2 and zone 3. It is 5 miles 72 chains (9.5 km) down the line from London Waterloo.
The station opened when the Nine Elms to Richmond line came into service on 27 July 1846 and was rebuilt in 1885-6 when the track was turned to quadruple as today, as far as Barnes.
The typical off-peak service at the station in trains per hour is:
- 4 indirectly to London Waterloo, of which
- 6 directly to London Waterloo, that is
- 4 as the reverse of the above routes, i.e. the shortest route to Waterloo, as stopping services.
- 2 termed semi-fast whose intervening stops are Clapham Junction and Vauxhall
- 2 (every service) to Windsor & Eton Riverside, calling at Richmond, Twickenham, Whitton, Feltham and all 6 following stations.
On Sundays and in a few of the peak hours the Waterloo to Reading line trains call at the station. In peak hours the main additions are extra Hounslow Loop services and seven extra services to/from the Shepperton branch line routed through this line.
- "Out of Station Interchanges" (XLS). Transport for London. May 2011. Archived from the original on 20 October 2012.
- "Station usage estimates". Rail statistics. Office of Rail Regulation. Please note: Some methodology may vary year on year.
- Mitchell, Vic; Smith, Keith (1988). Waterloo to Windsor. Middleton Press. p. 39. ISBN 0-906520-54-1.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Putney railway station.|
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|Wandsworth Town||South Western Railway
Hounslow Loop Line
|South Western Railway
Kingston Loop Line
|Clapham Junction||South Western Railway
Waterloo to Windsor