|Also known as||"Ubhaya Gayana Visharada", "Ganayogi", "Kavishiromani", "Thribhasha KaviRathna"|
|Born||3 March 1914|
|Died||17 September 2010
|Genres||Hindustani classical music, Carnatic music etc.|
Pandit Puttaraj Gawai (Kannada: ಪುಟ್ಟರಾಜ ಗವಾಯಿ) (3 March 1914 – 17 September 2010) was an Indian musician in the Hindustani classical tradition, a scholar who authored more than 80 books in Kannada, Sanskrit and Hindi, a music teacher and a social servant. A member of the Gwalior Gharana (school), he is renowned for his ability to play many instruments such as the veena, the tabla, mridangam, violin etc., as well as for his popular renditions of devotional music (bhajans) vachanas.A famous vocalist both in Hindustani and Karnataka Music. He is the recipient of the Padma Bhushan, India's third highest civilian honour, awarded in 2008.
- 1 Early life
- 2 Musical training
- 3 Devotional music
- 4 Theatre
- 5 Literature
- 6 Social service
- 7 Students
- 8 Institutions
- 9 Death
- 10 Literary works
- 11 Awards and recognitions
- 12 References
- 13 External links
He was born into a poor Kannada Lingayat family in Devara Hospete in Hangal taluk of Haveri district of Karnataka. His parents were Revaiah Venkatapurmath and Siddamma. He lost his eyesight at a very early age. He lost his parents when he was 10 months old. His maternal uncle Chandrashekharaiah took him under his wings and raised him.
Seeing Gawai's interest in music, his uncle took him to Veereshwara Punyashrama, run by Ganayogi Panchakshara Gawai. Under the guidance of Panchakshara Gawai, he mastered Hindustani. He mastered carnatic music under the guidance of Mundarigi Raghavendrachar (belonging to Vishesha Parampara). He had mastered many instruments harmonium, tabla, violin and 10 other music instruments.
In devotional music, Pt. Gawai is most acclaimed for his renditions of vachanas.
Puttaraj Gawai set up a theater company which would not only to help in raising funds to provide free food, shelter,education to disabled orphans but also to contribute to the theater culture.Thus,"SriGuru Kumareshwara Krupa Poshita Natya Company "was established. His first play 'Sri Sivayogi Sidharama' written and directed by him brought in profit and was applauded. This was followed by many other successful productions.
Puttaraj Gawai has authored over 80 books on spirituality, religion, history as well as biographies of many 'sharanas' of the Bhakti movement of the 12th century. He has authored books in Kannada, Hindi and Sanskrit. He re-wrote the Bhagavad Gita in Braille script.
Puttaraja Gawai is one of the pioneers of Veereshwara Punyashrama, a music school dedicated to imparting musical knowledge to people who are differentially able-d. Disabled people, especially blind from all castes, religions and sections of the society are taught music in the ashram. Pt. Dr. Puttaraj Kavi Gavaiji has been the pontiff of Shree Veereshwara Punyashrama Since 1944, after the demise of Pt. Panchaxara Gavaiji who founded this Ashrama for the upliftment of the born-blind children and orphans. Since its inception in 1942, Shree Veereshwar Punyashrama has been feeding and educating the born-blind and the orphans and the poor children free of cost, without discrimination on the basis of caste and creed. The Ashrama is solely run on the strength of voluntary donations by its devotees. The mission of the Ashrama is selfless service to the community, especially and poorest and the blind. The disciples trained and educated in Music. and Fine Arts have become music teachers, stage-artists, radio-artists, musicians and professionals in the field of arts in thousands. "Pt. Panchaxari Gavi Drama Theatre" organized and founded by Pt. Puttaraj Gaviji has given innumerable performances and has been considered as one of the pioneering feats of Theatre Movement in the North Karnataka. Being solely dedicated to furthering the art of stage drama, this dramatic company has produced thousands of stage artists who have earned national and international fame. Punyashrama has produced thousands of "Kirtanakaras" who are busy delivering Puranas and Pravachanas and Keertanas all over the state. Thus, Shree Veereshwara Punyashrama is rendering valuable services in the field of literature, music, religion, literacy and social service. It is dedicated to the cause of the welfare of the blind and down-trodden for over seventy years in its own humble way. The very secular credentials of this institution has made this Ashrama typical and a class by itself. The Pontiff of Shree Veereshwara Punyashrama, Gadag is viewed by the devotees as a "Walking God on the Earth". Shree Veereshwara Punyashrama of Gadag is a very popular and influential Ashrama in Karnataka. It is a charity institution solely dedicated to the upliftment of the blind, orphans and poor children. More than 1000 children reside in the Ashrama and are fed free of cost. The Ashrama runs Thirteen institutions comprising musical as well as general education.
Shree Veereshwara Punyashrama is run on its own strength without any aid from the Government. It has been contributing to the society the talented musicians, radioartists, music teachers, stage - artists and the professionals in the field of music and fine arts. Shree Veereshwara Punyashrama is thoroughtly a secular institution and admits students from all sections of society without discrimination on the basis of caste and creed.
The pontiff, Pt. Puttaraj Kavi Gavaiji has been serving out society in different capacities and is a catalyst of social and communal harmony. He richly deserves any coveted prize and honour like "Padma Vibhushan Award".
Pt. Gawai has taught many students which presently runs to a count of more than 1000 visually impaired. Some of his well-known students are:
- Pt. Chandrashekhar Puranikmath.
- Pandit S. Ballesh
- Pandit Veerashwar Madri
- Pt Rajguru Guruswami Kalikeri,
- Pandit Venkatesh Kumar
- G.G Aradhyamath
- Mallikarjunayya.G Aradhyamath
- Pt Nagalingayya Vastrada Matha
- Balachandrashastri kathakeertana
- DrPanchakshari Hiremath (chikkamannur)
- Pt. Siddharam swami Korwar (korwar village, Karnatak & Bhopal)
- Pt. Arjunsa Nakod
Shree Veershwara Punyashrama (Dr. Pt. Puttaraj Kavi Gaviagalu) is running various Institutions. They are...
- P.P.G. Pre-Primary School (Bal Vihar) (Anganawadi School), Gadag
- P.P.G. Residential Music School for Blind, Gadag
- P.P.G. Residential Braille School, Gadag
- Puttaraj Gavigalavar Sanskrit Pathashala, Gadag
- Shri Kumareshwar Krupaposhit Sangeeta Pathashala, Gadag
- Music School, Shri Veereshwar Punyashrama, Gadag ; Branch
- P.P.G. Primary School, Gadag
- P.P.G. High School, Gadag
- P.P.G. Arts College, Gadag
- P.P.G. Music College, Gadag
- P.P.G. B.Ed. College, Gadag
- P.P.G. D.Ed. College, Gadag
He died 17 September 2010, at Veereshwara Punyashrama, Gadag, Karnataka.He was buried at the ashram as per the veerashaiva traditions with respectful government honours. More than 1 million devotees attended his funeral ceremony in Gadag on 18 September 2010. The Karnataka state government declared state mourning on Saturday and holiday for government offices as a mark of respect to the multi-faceted personality.
Some of his important works are listed below.
Books on music
- Sangeet Shastra Jnana
- Tabla Shikshaka
- GuruSudha Part 1 & 2
- Taala Panchakshara
Books in Kannada
- Akkamahadevi Purana
- Haveri Shivabasava Purana
- Ankalagi Adavi Siddeswara Purana
- Huchala Guru Siddeshwara Purana
- Purathanara Purana
- Veerabhadreshwara Purana
- Kalikeri Guru Mahima Purana
- Sharana Basaveshwara Purana
- Sri Ankalagi Adiveshwara Puraana
- Sri Haveri Shivabasava Swami Puraana
- Guleda Gadilingeshwara Puraana
- Sri Veerabhadreshwara Puraana
- Shivasharane Hemareddi Mallamma Puraana
- Chikkenakoppada Sri Channaveera Sharanara Puraana
- Sri Naalatwaada Veereshwara Puraana
- Sri Annadaaneshwara Puraana
- Guddaapura Daanamma Devi Puraana
- Sri Chikkeshwara Puraana
- Sri Kalakeri Gurumahimaa Puraana
Books in Sanskrit
- Shrimat Kumara Geetha
- Kumareshwara Kavya
- Shri Linga Sooktha
- Tatparya Sahit Sri Rudra
- Panchakshara Suprabhata
Books in Hindi
- Basava Purana (President Award winner)
- Siddha Linga Vijaya
- Sidhantha Shikamani etc.
Theatre and drama in Kannada
- Sri Kotturu Basaveshwara
- Nelloora Numbiyaaka
- Shivasharana Chennayya
- Bhagavaan Basaveshwara
- Sri Gurudarhsana
- Hanagalla Kumareshwara Mahatme
- Sri Shivayogi Siddharaameshwara
- Shivayogi Moligi Maarayya
- Shirahatti Sri Phakeereshwara Mahatme
- Shivasharane Uditadi Akkamahadevi
- Sati Sukanya
- Daanaveera Shirasangi Lingarajaru
- Maharati Bheeshma
- Magana Prema
- Devara Duddu
Books in Braille
- Bhagavad Geeta
- Sri Rudra and Music
Awards and recognitions
Pt Gawai has been bestowed with many awards for his contributions to music, literature and social service. Some important awards are listed below.
- 1961 - President award for "Basava Purana" in Hindi
- 1962 - Kannada Kavi Kulottama by Kannada Sahitya Parishat, Bangalore
- 1970 - Karnataka Rajyotsava Prashasti
- 1975 - Honorary doctorate by Karnatak University
- 1998 - Nadoja Prashasti
- 1998 - Kanaka Purandara Prashasti
- 1998 - Jnaanayogi by Kannada Sahitya Parishat, Gadag.
- 1998 - Kendra Sangeet Natak Akademi Award
- 1999 - Rajya Sangeeta Vidwan by Government of Karnataka
- 2000 - National Award (for the betterment of disabilities) by Govt of India
- 2001 - "Nadoja Award" from Kannada University
- 2002 - Basavashree award
- 2007 - Kalidas Samman by Government of Madhya Pradesh
- 2007 - "Siddhashri Award" by Mugalkhod Jidaga Math (Add Arun S. Mathapati)
- 2009 - N Vajrakumar Abhinandana Puraskar Samiti Award
- 2009 - Tirumakudalu Chowdiah award by Government of Karnataka
- 2010 - Padma Bhushan
- "Puttaraj Gavai in critical condition, taken back to hometown Gadag". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 14 September 2010.
- "Puttaraj Gawai dedicates Padma Bhushan to students". Chennai, India: Hindu. 26 January 2010. Retrieved 2010-09-15.
- "Puttaraja Kavi Gavai is no more". Chennai, India: The Hindu. 18 September 2010. Retrieved 2010-09-18.
- "Pandit Puttaraj Gawai The leading light of music passed away". Retrieved 2010-09-18.
- Kattimani, Basavaraj F (18 September 2010). "Torch-bearer who guided many a musician". The Times of India. Retrieved 2010-09-18.
- "Pandit Puttaraj Gavai: A beacon for thousands". PTI. Retrieved 2010-09-18.
- "Puranikmath dead". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 25 July 2010.
- Lalithaa Krishnan (August 20, 2009). "Clear and sparkling-Advanced training under grand maestro Pt. Bismillah Khan and being a member of the Panchakshara Gavai brotherhood". The Hindu. Retrieved January 13, 2014.
- Lalithaa Krishnan (July 27, 2007). "Melodic meet in a serene milieu-Veereshwar Madri, managing trustee, Sri Guru Ganayogi Panchakshara Sangeet Yogashram Trust". The Hindu. Retrieved October 25, 2014.
- "Puttaraj Gawai dedicates Padma Bhushan to students". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 26 January 2010.