Putty knife

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Putty knife used for glazing windows
Two flexible-blade knives, 4" and 5"

A putty knife is a specialized tool used when glazing single glazed windows, to work putty around the edges of each pane of glass. An experienced glazer will apply the putty by hand, and then smooth it with the knife. Modern insulated glazing may use other ways of securing the glass to the window frame.

A spackle knife (called a scraper in British English, also known as a spatula in American English) is also commonly called a "putty knife",[citation needed] and is used for scraping surfaces or spreading material such as plaster in various construction trades. Widths from 1​14" to 5" or 6" are commonly available. Wider-bladed knives up to about 12" are used for sheet rocking. Larger blades are made, but generally lack the stability of the smaller blades and do not make a perfectly flat surface.

Stiff-blade knives, typically 1 mm or .040" thick, are suitable for scraping. Flexible-blade knives, typically 0.5 mm or .020" thick, are suitable for spreading. Due to the conductive nature of metallic blades, they should be kept a safe distance from extreme heat and electrical components.

Disposable putty knives, known for having a recyclable straight handle and blade, are suitable for hundreds of home and workplace chores, such as gently removing decals, water sealing a small crack or filling a chipped walk to avoid slips and falls. Plastic putty knives are sometimes substituted for metallic ones because they are resistant to electrical shock. However, disposable putty knives can be damaged from extreme heat, and should be kept a safe distance from furnaces, stoves, hot water heaters, and other high heat sources. Thinning solvents and degreasers in certain oven cleaners and lacquers may weaken various putty knives and are not recommended for combined use.

See also[edit]